RC Enthusiast

idle? low-speed needle? truck goes on its own!

my jato just wants to go by itself. the pinch test on the low-speed needle seems fine and the high speed is good. truck runs strong. the idle is so low that it barely runs.. yet the truck goes forward on its own-- to the point that it is basically cancelling out my brakes. anyone have suggestions to fix this? thanks

RC Champion
    Try agjusting the Throttle Trim on the Radio.
    2.5 Crankcase w/ Bearings-$18 Shipped!

RC Enthusiast
    the trim is good. i even tried 70/30 on my transmitter. didnt help.

RC Champion
    I am sorry but I have no clue what is up with it. I am guessing it is tuning.

RC Champion
    your tuning on your LSN is off...probably on the lean side IMO...Tuning Guide #1, Tuning Guide #2 & Tuning Guide #3 ...you should bookmark these for future reference incase you need them, they have allot of great info in them...the last one even goes through finding air leaks and getting that last percentage of the "perfect" tune on the second page of it...
    "Growing OLD is mandatory, Growing UP is optional"

RC Enthusiast
    yeah i thought it would be lean too. so i richened it. making small increments at a time and it didnt help. i'm lost. its frustrating since it is cancelling out my brakes. hard to stop when it gets around 60+

RC Champion
    check out the links i posted man...they WILL help you...too lean of a LSN makes the engine artificially rich(engine thinks it's rich) requiring you to lower the idle speed screw too much...that's why its idling poorly...the last link defiantly covers this...but you should check out all 3 of them...also w/the LSN being lean it makes the engine rev higher, which in turn is allowing the clutch to engage in the clutch bell via centripetal force, causing it to jump/lurch forward...
    Last edited by redck1979; 07-24-2007 at 10:50 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    k. i'll read up on it. thanks.

RC Champion
    redck1979, Thanx for those Tuning Guides. My T-Maxx 3.3 wasn't running good but now I think I got the hang of tunning. I will tune tomorrow. Thanx a bunch

RC Enthusiast
    Hi Paco 419

I am taking a chance here and want to suggest that you loosen your slipper clutch. It might be to tight. Loosen it about half a turn to a turn and check again
    how fast can you go

Quote Originally Posted by qscwbt
    Hi Paco 419

I am taking a chance here and want to suggest that you loosen your slipper clutch. It might be to tight. Loosen it about half a turn to a turn and check again
    thats what i just about to say..
    if your inconsistent forward motions are slowly going then you can easily fix it by loosening ur slipper clutch..
    if not, do you by chance have the bigger flywheel installed? the one for bumpstarting?
    Learn by doing

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by redck1979
    check out the links i posted man...they WILL help you...too lean of a LSN makes the engine artificially rich(engine thinks it's rich) requiring you to lower the idle speed screw too much...that's why its idling poorly...the last link defiantly covers this...but you should check out all 3 of them...also w/the LSN being lean it makes the engine rev higher, which in turn is allowing the clutch to engage in the clutch bell via centripetal force, causing it to jump/lurch forward...
    i worded this wrong...where is says being too lean will make the engine artificially rich...

it should have said as follows:

too lean of a LSN & lowering of the idle speed combined will fool the engine into being rich(artificially rich)...which will cause poor idling...sorry @ that mis wording guys...was late(i get up @ 5:00 am) and was tired when i posted that...
    Last edited by redck1979; 07-25-2007 at 05:12 AM.

RC Champion
    It is probably the clutch shoe if it goes forward on its own check that.
    or it could be your linkage.

RC Enthusiast
    thanks guys. i think i fixed it. well not me personally. i took it up my lhs and they guy there fixed it. its workin good now

so u just asked us all how to fix it just so u could take it to ur lhs?
    idk but i bet any of our ideas could have fixed it..
    Learn by doing