RC Racer

VXL vs. Castle Creations

I have upgraded my son's Stampede over the past couple of years and it now has a Castle Creations 5700 kv motor with Sidewinder ESC.

I am really impressed with how it runs now and want my own Pede!

How does the performance of the stock traxxas Pede with the VXL compare to the setup I have in my son's? We will both run the same batteries.

RC Champion
    sidewinder is faster, vxl is slower, but thats just because the kv is different and the vxl is water "resistant" so it can get a slash or two of water, but a side winde isnt as resistant
    if you want me to i can break your truck for free!

RC Qualifier
    I have a VXL and Sidewinder. I like them both. I have the sidewinder 4600 because I wanted the option of running 3 cell.

When we run the VXL and the sidewinders the vehicles are very close. I like them both but I like being able to program the sidewinder. The brakes work way better the way I have the sidewinder setup and I like the 25% reverse and such.

I have a vxl and I like it just fine, but it would be nice if the reverse wasn't 100%. I am thinking about using a sidewinder for my next brushless system as well. It is a bit cheaper, there a lot of good things said about it on here. I know I don't need the MM or anything like that I will probably stick to nimh. Speed is nice but is not all it is cracked up to be, my rustler is fast enough.

I mostly like the performance on the track with the brushless, even with a 6 cell. How does the sidewinder do on the track?
    Donít handicap children by making life easy

sidewinder is faster, vxl is slower,
    I take it you have proof of this? Because that is not the case.The kv of the motor actually has less to do with the speed,then the power the esc will put out,and the power your batteries will put in.The sidewinder is a low amp esc rated at 70amp constant.It physically can not put out as much power as the VXL , and will not run the 5700 on 3s Now depending on your batteries you may see little to no gain using a VXL esc,or if you have capable batteries it would be a noticeable difference.But the fact is either puts out plenty of power to put a Stampede on it's lid.
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

RC Competitor
    i would do the sidewinder over the vxl because of the castlelink programing. also, the vxl is known for having lvc problems and button sticking problems.
    Mamba monster E Maxx
    Mamba max rustler

RC Racer
    I have a velineon system, Mamba Max with 5700 and Sidewinder with a 5700.
    I like the Castle ESCs because you can make so many adjustments with the programming. In my opinion the Castle ESC's are more versatile than the Velineon system.
    Maybe it all boils down to preference because I like all three systems.
    So I guess I didn't answer your question I just told you my opinion.

The Castle systems are faster because the motors are rated higher. 5700kV vs 3500kV.
    My Desert Truck outruns my Rustler.
    Last edited by dkur4000; 01-17-2009 at 07:19 PM.

The Castle systems are faster because the motors are rated higher. 5700kV vs 3500kV
    That is only if they are geared the same.There are obviously many variables that you have not come to understand yet.Like the fact that you run much higher gearing with the vxl motor,to achieve higher speeds.I'm running a 2000kv motor in my E-revo,that thing must be a snail A 57mph , backflip from a standstill,launch 10 feet in the air kinda snail.
    _
    _

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rjm2519
    I have a vxl and I like it just fine, but it would be nice if the reverse wasn't 100%. I am thinking about using a sidewinder for my next brushless system as well. It is a bit cheaper, there a lot of good things said about it on here. I know I don't need the MM or anything like that I will probably stick to nimh. Speed is nice but is not all it is cracked up to be, my rustler is fast enough.

I mostly like the performance on the track with the brushless, even with a 6 cell. How does the sidewinder do on the track?
    the sidewinder is a good esc just not rated for as many amps as the vxl esc or the mamba max, both the castle 5700 and 4600 kv motors are faster than the stock vxl motor on 7.4 volts. the 5700 is not recommended for 11.1 volts at least not with the sidewinder esc, i would think that the 4600 would be faster on 11.1 volts than traxxas's 3500 vxl motor, but i do know traxxas's vxl motor is built better than my 5700 castle motor.
    Man i need more than 50 characters.

both the castle 5700 and 4600 kv motors are faster than the stock vxl motor on 7.4 volts.
    Good grief people.The kv's do not make the motor faster,especially when your crossing brands.You will be lucky to break 45 with a 4600 motor.Where people have broke 50 with a vxl motor.On 2s.The vxl has been clocked over 70 mph in a Stampede on 3s.Neither of the other motors have come close,at least that I have seen.The 5700 and 3500 will run close to the same speed on 2s,but they must be geared very differently.If I must I'll go into some technical terms,but that will have to wait till morning.
    _
    _

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by asheck
    Good grief people.The kv's do not make the motor faster,especially when your crossing brands.You will be lucky to break 45 with a 4600 motor.Where people have broke 50 with a vxl motor.On 2s.The vxl has been clocked over 70 mph in a Stampede on 3s.Neither of the other motors have come close,at least that I have seen.The 5700 and 3500 will run close to the same speed on 2s,but they must be geared very differently.If I must I'll go into some technical terms,but that will have to wait till morning.
    Noche Noche, or night night. You need to write it up, and save it somewhere so when it comes up again you can just paste it in or reference the link. You probably already thought of that or do that, just my 2 cents.

save it somewhere so when it comes up again you can just paste it in or reference the link.
    Thats just it,it never comes up,anymore .What I'm saying is very common knowledge,do a search on the Rusty forums and you'll see what I mean. Good night.
    _
    _

RC Champion
    well thats in my experience, in my truck with a decent gearing 17/86-22/86 on 2 cell lipo the 5700 was all around faster than the 3500kv vxl motor, and faster than my 10.5ss with a gtb. just saying that those were my results running in the same conditions with similar temps. yes any thing can go fast but how hot will it get. when geared high on 2 cell my vxl ran hotter than i would like it to.

RC Qualifier
    Thats just it,it never comes up,anymore .What I'm saying is very common knowledge,do a search on the Rusty forums and you'll see what I mean. Good night.
    Good night and I will go take a look later. Been on the computer too long today making my first wmv.

RC Competitor
    The sidewinder esc is superior due to the tuning ability with a usb cord. The vxl motor is better than the castle motors because it runs with a very cool temperature. Sure, the castle motor may spin faster, but with the correct gearing on each motor to get the same comfortable temperature zone, they will go the same speed.

I think the vxl motor is pretty good, I ran have run mine geared 28/83 on 9cells and it was plenty fast every bit of 50mph and the motor never broke 130* with the lid on and the esc was at 113* battery was between 120-130. And honestly I don't feel like I am missing anything with the tuneability I just adjust my finger. I just was thinking of a sidewinder cause it is cheaper than the vxl, I like plug and play not plug program and play. I guess another vxl it will be.

Sorry 8pede8 but IMO tuneability is not as important as ease of use and powerhandling ability, not to mention the vxl esc can run just about any motor out there.

RC Qualifier
    Well, don't forget that you can mix and match these. The Sidewinder or Max ESC with the VXL 3500 motor might do you well.

Yeah but then I have to buy a motor seperate from the esc it is easier to find a combo. Will the sidewinder run brushed/brushless/sensored brushless too?

RC Champion
    Yeah but then I have to buy a motor seperate from the esc it is easier to find a combo. Will the sidewinder run brushed/brushless/sensored brushless too?
    every thing but sensored.

Actually it will run a sensored motor,but it will do it like a sensorless.
    _
    _

RC Qualifier
    The SW will handle any brushed 540 motor in foward only mode, and 19 turns or more with reverse mode.

RC Champion
    Actually it will run a sensored motor,but it will do it like a sensorless.
    thats good to know, will that work with any sensored motor on a sensor less esc.

As far as I know yes.But I have seen multible posts from CC techs saying that there 's will.I believe all the sensor does is relay info to the controller,rotor position,temp and that kind of stuff.It doesn't actually have anything to do with the motors ability to go.
    _
    _

RC Champion
    I think a sensored setup just makes it smoother from a stop, less "cogging"
    RustyVXL, HPI RS4 Rally, RC18MT
    Mobius1 crashed!

yeah stamjato hit it on the head, sensor helps low speed and smoothness, seems like the vxl is still more versatile. Like I said I am not looking to deal with programming and all that nonsense I just want to plug and play and let my finger do the adjusting.

The main thing the sensor does is tell the esc rotor postion.There are 3 phases with brushless,they can all be positive or negative.Depending on where the rotor is,depends on which phase sees what.With a sensored the esc always knows exactly which phase needs what.The sensorless depends on receiving it's feedback from the actual wires.Therefore until it starts to move it's not sure what needs what and seems to get confused at very low speed crawls.But since putting the most recent update on my MM,it is now very smooth at very low speeds.I'm not willing to say as good as sensored, but It was a huge difference.That is a very nice thing with the MM, sometimes the updates can make huge changes.
    _
    _

RC poster
    Yea..... I love the fact of water resistance, my castle system went up in smoke because there was mist outside :/ I have been using velineon ever since then, been carrying for 8 months and only lost reverse for a short time! I don't know what's up with those people who say it's not durable.

Own: Slash 2wd "rigged edition" (original brushed and then ur became a Frankenstein on drugs, slapping high performance parts into it!)

Well with my experience, Vxl isn't as durable. My Vxl motor blew up. My castle creations hasn't. Now I'm comparing a tenth scale motor to a eighth scale motor.