RC Enthusiast

Exclamation FINALLY brushless... And more complications

SO GUESS WHAT?!?!?!?!?!? I finally got my sidewinder 3 combo!!!!! I soldered the traxxas connector on and started to try to set it up. Looked up you tube video on how to do it. Took a while and a couple of tries. (Could that have started the problem?) then I finally got it. Started to drive it around and it was great for about 2 seconds. Then the motor stopped getting power. And it would not drive. The steering was fine the whole time but not the throttle. Anyone have any ideas what to do? I'm gonna call castle creations tomorrow morning and head to my LHS afterward if castle does not help.
    --
    Kyle

Are you running NiMH in lipo mode?

Why was it so complicated? Castle include their 'Driver's Ed' manual that spells out how to set everything up. Do yourself a favor, if you do not have a CastleLink or FieldLink, get one or the other. They make programming the ESC VERY easy.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Alphabet_Soup View Post
    SO GUESS WHAT?!?!?!?!?!? I finally got my sidewinder 3 combo!!!!! I soldered the traxxas connector on and started to try to set it up. Looked up you tube video on how to do it. Took a while and a couple of tries. (Could that have started the problem?) then I finally got it. Started to drive it around and it was great for about 2 seconds. Then the motor stopped getting power. And it would not drive. The steering was fine the whole time but not the throttle. Anyone have any ideas what to do? I'm gonna call castle creations tomorrow morning and head to my LHS afterward if castle does not help.
    May be cold solder joint?

RC Qualifier
    I made a mess out of my soldering job when I installed my SCT system. The Traxxas connector I had installed would get very hot because of the poor solder job. I ended up having to borrow my buddies larger soldering iron and that got much better results.
    However, my SCT was in LiPo mode by default so if you're running a NiMH battery, that is probably your problem.

RC Enthusiast
    Yeah it turns out that the default was auto Lopo so I had to turn off Lopo cutoff. A really nice guy from castle creations guided me through this. It works GREAT!!!! I don't know why I did not go brushless earlier!!!?!!?!?!???!?
    --
    Kyle

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Are you running NiMH in lipo mode?

Why was it so complicated? Castle include their 'Driver's Ed' manual that spells out how to set everything up. Do yourself a favor, if you do not have a CastleLink or FieldLink, get one or the other. They make programming the ESC VERY easy.
    It was complicated because I was not waiting dor the sound that meant that I had changed a setting. I know how to do it now.
    --
    Kyle

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    ah, glad you got it sorted

when I was reading your post, I actually thought, that you didn't wait for it to finish calibrating itself -- so it never continued and armed..... sounds like that was the issue

are you running lipos? if you are, you should be running with the auto-lipo mode enabled

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post

are you running lipos? if you are, you should be running with the auto-lipo mode enabled
    I am running nickle metal. And now my only problem is the pede can't turn without flipping. So I put some weights at the skid plates and that helped a bit.
    --
    Kyle

RC Qualifier
    I don't know why I did not go brushless earlier!!!?!!?!?!???!?
    You know how you said this about going brushless? You'll say the same thing when you switch to LiPo. Once you get a LiPo battery, you'll never use the old NiMH again!

I am running nickle metal. And now my only problem is the pede can't turn without flipping. So I put some weights at the skid plates and that helped a bit.
    Glad you got it sorted out.

I would wait in lipo power until you have more control. Putting thicker shock oil in your shocks, recommend starting out with 45wt and adjusting from there.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired