RC Racer

Trenchers 2.8-Do They Need Taping to Prevent Ballooning?

I am ordering proline trenchers 2.8 for my pede. Debating on purchasing premounted or not. Do they need taping to prevent ballooning? If so, that makes it an easy decision.

Running Traxxas Velineon on 2s. No plans for 3s.
    Last edited by explorerlyon; 01-14-2016 at 10:23 PM.

RC Competitor
    Yes they definitely need taped. I bought them for my 2wd xl5 running 2s lipo and didn't tape them and they balloon bad. I can't even imagine on brushless setup how bad it would be.

RC Racer
    I just put trenchers on my pede I run traxxss velineon set up with 2s lipo and I taped them just to be safe... also cost me about 20.00 less to buy traxxas black chrome wheels and the tires and glue them myself.... that being said this was my first attempt at tapeing and gluing tires they turned out OK. I used regular duct tape and went around inside twice. Take your time when you glue and make sure tires are all the way in little slots mine are not quite even and it wobbles more than I would like but live and learn I suppose. I also used foam that came with tires not closed cell foam. I do not plan on running 3s. YouTube has some good videos on tapeing and gluing if need be.

My son has the premounted, with normal foam, on his p2de and they balloon but it's not insane. The soft foam gives a bit more cushion on jumps and even with his sct/3800 on 2s he never has trouble controlling it. If I were to get another set for myself it would probably be with closed cell foam and mount them myself. I don't think I would tape them. They are not a high speed racing tire. They are for offroad where the change in shape of the tire and its ability to mold around shapes helps with traction. The closed cell would sacrifice the shaping but help the cornering I suspect. Trade offs right? I still think the premounted trencher is the best all around tire for the p2de.

RC Enthusiast
    My 3s makes them into dinner plates. Tape em IMO.
    Pede 4x4 MMP/C2.4
    / 4x4 4pole VXL
    / 2wd MMP/C5.7

RC Competitor
    Sorry it took me so long to post this....
    2wd xl5 BRUSHED pede running 2s lipo on about 60% charge

If you click the pic it's a video.

RC Racer

RC Racer
    Thanks for posting the above videos. They definitely need taping!
    Last edited by explorerlyon; 01-28-2016 at 01:29 PM.