RC Qualifier

important user account update question

When I log in to my account, it says I've been a member for 44 years. Will this cause a problem with the new "use it or lose it" deal?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    Mine has been over 40 years for years now. I'm only 26 .
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

That's something everyone has ever since the forum change/upgrade in 2011 (I believe). Per the announcement
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Chicken
    In order to keep your account active and to retain your forum name and stats, we ask that you log into your account before October 31, 2014. After that date, all accounts with no activity in over a year will be closed and the forum name released.
    Which means: as long as you log into the account, it will show that it is active. Anyone that has not logged into their account in over a year will lose it (essentially deleting the account).
    The Super Derecho

About the announcement, you can only see it at the top of the page if you´re inside a subforum, for example, standing at the "Slayer" subforum. If you're standing at the root of the forum, that message is not shown at the top.

And, which are the chances that a user who hasn't been in for a year will see that announcement in a week? I think it would be nice to give at least a one month notice, with weekly reminders. If you're on vacation or away you probably won't see it.

For example, yesterday I received an important PM message for me, from a user who was away for 3 years, and after 3 years his reply was still important to me. If you erase all the accounts with only a one week notice (I haven't received any emails about this) maybe I would have never received that important PM for me. Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by danielhr77; 10-23-2014 at 12:19 PM.
    He Who Dies With the Most Toys Wins.

Speaking from a military standpoint, recommend bumping that out to two years. It is very possible for US military members to be on deployments lasting a year or more (especially for those stationed aboard anfibs and carriers).
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

^ and ^^, I guess you are assuming the account will not only be removed, but deleted, eradicated, and stomped on until it is just a grease spot on the ground. I think the course of reason and prudence is to determine whether the accounts may be recoverable past the referenced date before we go getting bent out of shape.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 10-24-2014 at 01:10 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = °

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    ^ and ^^, I guess you are assuming the account will not only be removed, but deleted, eradicated, and stomped on until it is just a grease spot on the ground. I think the course of reason and prudence is to determine whether the accounts may be recoverable past the referenced date before we go getting bent out of shape.
    Just a helpful suggestion, seems like you have read too much in to it. Happily retired now, but having been one of those guys that have been gone a long time on deployments, one of the first things you try to do is get some of you "normal" back. One way this is done is logging into favorite sites and forums, like Traxxas. Its a little disheartening when you are looking forward to something like this to discover that your account has been deactivated.

Besides, Nitro Chicken's post is pretty clear, not much to read into it:

"In order to keep your account active and to retain your forum name and stats, we ask that you log into your account before October 31, 2014. After that date, all accounts with no activity in over a year will be closed and the forum name released."

important user account update question

LISTEN!!! You are probably more right than I am, nevertheless there is no time table mentioned for the release of the names. There seems to be an assumption of instantaneous recycling. I'm just not sure that's the case. I would be content if the above suggestions were followed verbatim, but I am not cognizant of the exigencies of the situation. (Oh my, now there's a sentence.)
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 10-24-2014 at 06:56 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = °

Good thing Traxxas didn't decide to do this clean up around the same time the Mayan Calendar was coming to the end of its cycle, there really would have been mass chaos!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    After that date, all accounts with no activity in over a year will be closed and the forum name released."
    Keyword(s) there is 'closed' not deleted im sure it can be recovered along with user name as long as a new user didnt happen to use/signup with your now available name.
    Though I am curious if they intend to send out an email to users with this info since anyone that hasnt been around the forums wont see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Mayan Calendar was coming to the end of its cycle
    Lol keyword there was 'end of its cycle' or better put end of an 'age' not end of everything. Not makin fun of you or anyone here as im confident you knew that but alot of folks never bothered to check it out for themselves and just ran around screaming "the sky is falling in 2012!" which did make for some hilarious entertainment and 'news'
    Last edited by RichardTheGreat85; 10-25-2014 at 01:57 AM.
    everything being dif doesnt mean anythings changed

We also sent e-mail notifications to all the inactive accounts so it's not just a notification on the boards. Users with more than 100 posts have a much larger window. Banned users and users with over 1000 posts are exempt. The vast majority of dead or inactive accounts have only a few posts.

If you have less than 100 posts, have not logged in for a year and do not check your e-mail (or you use a bogus e-mail address so you did not get the notification), then your account will be deleted.

Same applies to accounts with 100 - 999 posts that have not logged on in the last 4 years.

All posts on deleted accounts will be set to guest and the names will immediately be released.
    "Fortunately son, I says fortunately I keep my feathers numbered for just such an emergency!"
    Foghorn Leghorn

That sounds much better! Thanks!
    He Who Dies With the Most Toys Wins.