RC Champion

motor Help real car 1990 RS Camaro 3.1 liter

Hello.
    i need some motor help! just the other my wife car quit running for unknown reasons, it will crank over and it sounds like it wants to start but its a NO go! i replaced the cap rotor tonight still not start. i smell gas but i am not sure if the gas is reaching the Cycliders. tomorrow i am going to pull a plug and crank it over to see if i am getting a good spark to the plug! makes me mad it ran fine every day until she did not drive my kids had a snow day from school!!

what else could be wrong!

1990 RS Camaro with 3.1 liter v6 motor. any way i can undo the fuel line to see if fuel is getting to the engine? i have 12.8 volts from the plug that plugs into the coil, so i am at a Loss here. maybe arcceeguy can help he seems to be pretty smart with real cars
    Take Responsibility do not text and drive.

RC Champion
    try a fuel pressure test. the gas may be getting to the engine but if youve got not pressure to vaporize the fuel its not going to combust. my 1992 camaro had similar problems. mine would turn over but wouldnt start. finally replaced the distributor and got it to start up and not cut off randomly while driving.
    ss5800 stampede, 2.5 jato, 2.5 rustler

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    there should be a schrader valve(very similar to the valve in a valve stem) on the fuel rail somewhere. Carefully depress it with your eyes well shielded and a rag near by, when depressed there should be pressure behind it. Can you hear the fuel pump engage when the key is turned on?
    I tried being reasonable, I didn't like it.

RC Competitor
    Does it sound like it is firing or no? Any sputters? Does the rotor spin? got spark?
    Like the guy above said- I'd start there- it should have pressure and spray out, if it don't fuel pump. If rotor don't spin-timing chain/belt or cam gear/shaft problems. If no spark- could be a number of things starting with power/ground,coil,distributor and on and on
    Hard to diagnosis over the net

RC Champion
    thanks guy that much needed advice there is a valve behind the intake i'l check that tomorrow after and post my findings. it wants to fire and it starts and sputters but dies shortly after like 2 or 3 seconds. il check the rotor and spark tomorrow. again thanks thats good help yall posted i can hear the fuel pump but tomorrow i will listen for it.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Sounds like a fuel delivery problem, I would see if you can get a pressure test kit from autozone

1990 RS Camaro uses an electronic fuel pump, question.
    Does your Fuel guage work? One of the symptoms of GM fuel pumps was the guage would also act funky.
    +1 need to check your fuel pressure, but you might was well check your spark.
    Founder of H.U.A.
    I spent What??

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    well, do what these people have said. but even if you do have fuel pressure, it takes so many pounds for it to start. my dad worked on a truck that had 53lbs of pressure, but it nedded 55lbs to start. just that little bit can cause a problem. i would suggest to take it to a chevrolet dealership, or put a remote pressure tester on it to see how much pressure it has.
    Those who throw dirt are bound to lose ground.

RC Champion
    Getting Good Spark but the one plug looked to be fouled out. i am going to check for fuel pressure in a little bit.

RC Champion
    im thinking its fuel pressure. if you figure out thats the problem and get it fixed and are still having problems check the timing. the timing chain/belt (cant remember what 1990 camaro has) could be worn out and loose.
    ss5800 stampede, 2.5 jato, 2.5 rustler

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    does anybody know the correct fuel pressure for a chevy 3.1? i know there are reference sites, but i can't think of any.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    about 40 psi

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    thats what i thought, but i didn't want to post the wrong number. the sites i saw, most peoples cars were running about 43 psi.

RC Champion
    is it cold outside, try unpluging your temp sensor and see what happenes, mine (350 version) did the same thing and thats what it was
    #3 R.I.P DALE you are missed- when you are old enough to vote then you can tell me what i should or should not do. traxxas models - 4wd s maxx w/3.3 axles & carriers,turnbuckles: 1st gen revo w/ a 3.3: blast boat: t maxx 3.3: nitro 4 tec: nitro rustler. "ME" for president.

RC Champion
    where is that located at? i will give it a try.

RC Champion
    mine has 2, one on the intake by the water inlet and one on the side of the right cylinder head, i have no clue where yours may be, you could probably find out at a auto parts store or online.............
    #3 R.I.P DALE you are missed- when you are old enough to vote then you can tell me what i should or should not do. traxxas models - 4wd s maxx w/3.3 axles & carriers,turnbuckles: 1st gen revo w/ a 3.3: blast boat: t maxx 3.3: nitro 4 tec: nitro rustler. "ME" for president.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by savagenomore
    is it cold outside, try unpluging your temp sensor and see what happenes, mine (350 version) did the same thing and thats what it was

dude you are the man thank you very much it started up thanks bro that did it

RC Champion
    A few things. If your car is indeed a 1990 with a 3.1v6, its a distributorless (DIS) car (no cap and rotor). Fuel pressure should be 35-40 psi. Your coolant temp sensor (ECT) if bad could be telling the ECM that is is colder then it really is and cause the engine to flood. The ECT is located under the the throttle body on the front of the intake, it has 2 wires going to the connector, not one. Another common problem, the fuel pressure regulator gos bad and leaks fuel directly into the vacuum line and also causes flooding. The Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor is also common to fail on those ole 3.1 and can also cause the car to flood.

One way to verify if the car is indeed flooding it to put the ECM in Clear Flood Mode. This is done by simply depressing the gas pedal to Wide Open Throttle (WOT). The ecm then shuts off the injectors, if the vehicle starts, then flooding is probably and will atleast give you an idea on what is happening.

Good Luck

Nick
    No he's not the Tom from M-Space!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 1fast3.3
    A few things. If your car is indeed a 1990 with a 3.1v6, its a distributorless (DIS) car (no cap and rotor). Fuel pressure should be 35-40 psi. Your coolant temp sensor (ECT) if bad could be telling the ECM that is is colder then it really is and cause the engine to flood. The ECT is located under the the throttle body on the front of the intake, it has 2 wires going to the connector, not one. Another common problem, the fuel pressure regulator gos bad and leaks fuel directly into the vacuum line and also causes flooding. The Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor is also common to fail on those ole 3.1 and can also cause the car to flood.

One way to verify if the car is indeed flooding it to put the ECM in Clear Flood Mode. This is done by simply depressing the gas pedal to Wide Open Throttle (WOT). The ecm then shuts off the injectors, if the vehicle starts, then flooding is probably and will atleast give you an idea on what is happening.

Good Luck

Nick
    he got it, i told him what it was, temp sensor...........

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by gatman90
    ....the timing chain/belt (cant remember what 1990 camaro has) could be worn out and loose.
    The 3.1 is a pushrod engine, and uses a chain.

Also - the FWD version of the GM 60 degree V6 got the DIS ignition in '87, the RWD applications retained the distributor until '93.

Glad you got it fixed!
    Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by arceeguy
    The 3.1 is a pushrod engine, and uses a chain.

Also - the FWD version of the GM 60 degree V6 got the DIS ignition in '87, the RWD applications retained the distributor until '93.

Glad you got it fixed!
    me to arceeguy i got tired of hearing my wife SAY fix it HURRY UP.
    it runs very well now and i also Noticed that the Negative cable battery post was lose and very dirty! also the the side post screw was stripped out so i replaced them and it fires up and runs very well.