RC poster

Smile Revival of an old Stampede

Picked up an old Stampede the other day. It is supposed to be a 3610 from about 2000-2003 and has got the old 2WD gearbox. I think most of the parts were included but the motor is not running. The idea is to get it going and then probably upgrade it a bit. To be honest it is pretty worn and requires a lot of love...

First IŽll see if I can get the old style mechanical speed controler and brushed motor going.

RC Racer
    Nice little piece of history there.

Gotta love the stampede. Scored it with a clean body as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    3 X-MAXX's total one built from ground up!

That is pretty cool! A XL5 and Titan would go great in that!
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Don't get rid of those tires!! Balance them with modeling clay and you are GTG up to 50mph..
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Enthusiast
    I did the same exact thing. I had a stampede from when I was younger. It had the old mechanical speed control. I ended up tearing the whole thing apart and upgrading everything to the new tech.

RC poster
    So, I got the mechanical speed controller and motor going. There were actually a lot of corroded solder joints. The speed controller servo was stuck and gummed up. I think it has been running in a bit of water.
    But eventually I got it rolling!

Completely lacking of speed! The shocks were also almost stuck so handling can be improved.

First step is to tear it apart and clean it and see what is broken and should be fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by gunbar223 View Post
    Gotta love the stampede. Scored it with a clean body as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blown94 View Post
    Nice little piece of history there.
    Quote Originally Posted by O.G. View Post
    Don't get rid of those tires!! Balance them with modeling clay and you are GTG up to 50mph..
    Yeah, I'll try and see if I can retain the old style look. I want it handling well and with good speed. The mechanical speed controller has seen better days so that will be replaced with an electronic. Ball bearings for the wheel shafts will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by SVPal88 View Post
    I did the same exact thing. I had a stampede from when I was younger. It had the old mechanical speed control. I ended up tearing the whole thing apart and upgrading everything to the new tech.
    Good fun isn't it? I'll do it step by step to get the most out of it. It is amazing that there is such an abundance of parts for this 20 year old truck. Still possible to get all parts and upgrade it as you would like.

RC Competitor
    I am doing the same thing! Still running the Stinger motor with a new ESC, wheel bearings, and just modded the battery compartment for acceptance of longer batteries. Fun stuff! Next I think I need a new body and some tires to keep my originals from getting wore down.

RC poster
    Finally time to tear it down for cleaning. Was going to upgrade from bushings to ball bearings, but bearings are too big to fit the old hubs. Traxxas has changed the hub carriers to make room for bearings, didn't notice that in the exploded assy drawing. Need more parts!

Tried to fit the new servo, that didn't fit well either. Traxxas servos seem to be smaller than standard with a chamfered back end.
    This a common issue?
    Think I can fix it by adding some spacers...

Last edited by Pelee; 01-26-2017 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Miss...

RC poster
    Anybody know where u can find the old style Bigfoot body?