RC Enthusiast

Exclamation Shock Upgrade questions...

Hello again all, been a while.
    Anyways, im back at upgrading my Stampede and wanted some feedback on shocks. A while back i helped a friend of mine upgrade his slash 4x4 to d8 shocks and was wondering if i could do something similar to my 2wd Stampede? Or if there are any other good shock upgrade options? At the forefront to me are the ProLine Powerstrokes but im not too keen on the price you know? Not crazy about the traxxas big bores either.

So from my research ive come across recommendations on Losi Ten-T shocks (anyone got part numbers?) and the GTR shocks from the Slash 4x4 platinum LCG. The GTR shocks im a little worried about because i keep seeing they are "direct bolt on" but i cant seem to figure out if people mean they are direct bolt on for the 4x4 stampede or the 2wd stampede. Any feedback or anyone have any other recommendations? Thanks

Also, saw some stuff on youtube about the hobby - king shocks, not sure which lengths for front/back, though (little help?) but with a few traxxas parts (pistons, rod ends, etc) swapped onto them, the guy had really good things to say about them. The springs were trash too he said, but other springs fit. I figure most of you will cringe at the thought though but what do you think? :P

edit: hobby - king URLS didnt work, heres another think for the two sets of shocks.
    http://goo.gl/tDPcvf
    http://goo.gl/EtMeae
    Last edited by Helgaiden; 08-03-2015 at 01:04 PM.
    LOOKOUT 4 TEH GUERILLA

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    the d8 shocks are very good

in fact, actually upgrading your stock shocks is a cheap, and pretty awesome idea as well.... lots of people run different spings, tini shafts and aluminum caps on the stock ultra shocks

RC Enthusiast
    Don't mean to jack your thread, but I'm wanting to know the same question, on upgraded shocks, I got the 3601/3610 Stampede. Thought maybe whatever fits on the newer one can fit on mine as well? Hmm.

RC Enthusiast
    Yes they will fit the same. No worries about threadjacking, i hope anyone wondering finds there way to this thread for informational reasons

Jimbo, you mention the d8 shocks are very good. I haven't heard or seen anything regarding these working on a 2wd stampede. Can you provide a link if you know? I looked around and everything i keep finding is all about d8 shocks on stampede 4x4. That wont work for me.

My stock shocks so far have red springs in rear and blue springs up front, its how it was when i got it. Where do i find tini shafts? ive seen the upgraded shock caps and even the strc aluminum bodies but never considered going this route. Ive wanted bigger nice shocks for a while.
    LOOKOUT 4 TEH GUERILLA

I would investigate the GTRs a little more. I'm wondering if just the bottom mount is different so you could swap on your rod ends and bolt them on. They're a great shock with tuning kits available to fine tune them for your use. If you're looking for caps and tini shafts for yours just pull up an exploded view(from the products page) for your Stampede and click on the part numbers for the caps/shafts they offer the optional pieces and part numbers/prices. Good luck!!
    Slash 4x4 Ult.SC8 2400kv MIP KH
    Rustler vxl 3500

RC Enthusiast
    I would really like the GTRs yeah, but just cant seem to find enough info online to verify they standard set will fit correctly on the 2wd stampede. I'll have to keep looking for more info on that
    LOOKOUT 4 TEH GUERILLA

Quote Originally Posted by Helgaiden View Post
    I would really like the GTRs yeah, but just cant seem to find enough info online to verify they standard set will fit correctly on the 2wd stampede. I'll have to keep looking for more info on that
    Maybe throw your question on one of the 4x4 forums(Slash or Stampede). and see what happens. Lots of guys have more than 1 RC. Bunch of guys lots smarter than me around here...someone will help you out. Good luck! It sounds like a fun project.
    Slash 4x4 Ult.SC8 2400kv MIP KH
    Rustler vxl 3500

RC Enthusiast
    Did alot of research actually and i think im gonna settle on the GTR shocks. I found some measurements so here they are for anyone who ends up looking.

Stock Ultra Shocks
    Long (usually the fronts): 87mm
    XX-Long (rear): 102mm

GTR shocks
    Long tra7461x: 84mm
    XX-Long tra7462x: 100mm

GTR Shock measurements off the Slash 4x4 LCG Platinum kit
    Front: about 85mm
    Rear: about 101.6

so basically it is indeed true that the stock slash 4x4 lcg platinum kit shocks fit right on the 2wd stampede. Hopefully this can help people find other shock combinatiuons or help with deciding on GTRs or anything.
    LOOKOUT 4 TEH GUERILLA

What is the problem with the ultra shock's? They are a decent shock with the right springs and oil weight for your type of driving.
    T-Maxx, SportMaxx, Slayer Pro,
    Stampede, Rustler

RC Racer
    The GTR's will bolt on a 2wd Pede with one very small modification, you will need to pop the lower hollow balls out of your front Ultra's and use them to replace those in the front set of GTR's. Simple. I run the GTR shocks on two of my p2des and can confirm that the ball swap is the only mod needed to bolt them right up. I also run a set of Gmade Aeration shocks on one of my p2des and they are by far the best shocks I have ever ran! Very happy with them!!
    My way is like the wrong way....only faster.

When I had the pedes, got the powerstrokes on and love them, infact I have them on the slash 4X4 MT now with no issues;

I also have the big bores and love them to, unforunately I no longer have the pedes so got that laying around and swapped over ones in a while, the gtr I can imagine with the variable dampening kit will be great on the slash, have erevo gtrs on my erebe with the variable kit and they are awsome...

I have seeen som membres use the D8 and love the sheer size of that thing, another options is ofna, but I do not remmbre which on, I bleive matts175 is running them and that too looks like a beast....
    Last edited by Jezza; 08-09-2015 at 10:04 PM.
    Live life to the fullest

RC Enthusiast
    I havent been able to find any posts with people using the D8 shocks on their 2wd pedes. Got any links, jezza?

Fastride, those Gmade shocks look cool. Which ones did you use? Are they high maintenance at all? The aeration nozzle thing seems very interesting, but they seem kind of expensive too.
    LOOKOUT 4 TEH GUERILLA

Quote Originally Posted by Helgaiden View Post
    I havent been able to find any posts with people using the D8 shocks on their 2wd pedes. Got any links, jezza?

Fastride, those Gmade shocks look cool. Which ones did you use? Are they high maintenance at all? The aeration nozzle thing seems very interesting, but they seem kind of expensive too.

My bad, on slash set ups, but it is not much of a difference between the slash and pede towers, so they should work

https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...=1#post5072623

https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...D8-Shock-Setup

http://www.ausrc.com/forum/showthrea...4x4-bash-proof
    Live life to the fullest

RC Enthusiast
    I'd imagine it would be different enough as those posts link to slash 4x4. I cant find anything regarding D8 shocks specific to 2wd Stampede/Slash/etc. I did the d8 shocks mod for my buddy's slash 4x4 so its something ive seen before. Hmmm
    LOOKOUT 4 TEH GUERILLA