RC poster

Is an old 90's Rustler worth upgrading?

Hello All,

I have a bunch of Traxxas vehicles (Hawk, Slash Ultimate 4X4, Stampede XL-5, Slash XL-5). I like the speed of the Slash 4X4 but love the look and fun of bouncing around with the Stampede it has Monster Jam wheels and am going to upgrade the Stampede to castle SCT combo. The Slash XL-5 is just ok, fast enough but mostly for the kids to bash with, not that thrilling overall.

Not sure what to do with the two 90's Rustlers (picked up for free way back when). They are not running right now, I think they just need a radio (not sure how to get the Tx working maybe a crystal issue or something). Are they obsolete? Will they be worth getting back to shape for just bashing around in the yard? Worth eventually going to Castle SCT brushless? Either that or I would just get running and then sell, not sure if anyone would want to pay much? Can I just bash with them and repair with new Rustler parts as they break, or is the platform obsolete? Too crazy to eventually get it to run with big tires like a Monster Jam truck?

(Bodies are all mixed up here, not to mind that)

Thoughts? (Just for bashing with kids, no competitive racing of course)
    Last edited by stevez32; 03-20-2017 at 01:09 PM.

It really depends how far you want to go with it.

Typically, if you do a full upgrade, rebuilding the transmission with bearings and metal gears, new carriers and bearings, new axles, new servo and bell cranks, and new ESC you are looks around the same cost of a new brushed Rustler. But, if you just want to get them running, I would get XL5 ESCs, Titan motors, Flysky 2.4ghz radios, rebuild the transmission and call it good. Even then, you'll spend around $100 for each to upgrade it to that point.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Competitor
    If all of the other ones are 2.4 ghz toss in a new transmitter and run it. Just do upgrades as they they break. Rustlers are fun they share alot of the same parts as the xl5 stampede and xl5 slash. If you're already planning on upgrading the slash and stampede put those motor/esc on the rustlers. Can never have too many running rc cars especially with kids.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Cool thanks, I was thinking of just running till they break. They seem mostly good to go already, just gotta try a transmitter in them to know for sure.

So any potential problems with just assuming a new Rustler part will fit once something breaks?

Adding bearings through out the transmission and hubs makes a huge difference, especially in the transmission. The old style drive shafts are kinda dinky and you'll need the updated differential to use slash 4x4 shafts. You can update an old model for much less than a new rtr but it takes work. The old plastic is rigid and snaps, but rustler replacement parts are easy and cheap.
    ------
    How to Rc: Send them high, watch them die.

Quote Originally Posted by stevez32 View Post
    Cool thanks, I was thinking of just running till they break. They seem mostly good to go already, just gotta try a transmitter in them to know for sure.

So any potential problems with just assuming a new Rustler part will fit once something breaks?
    If it is anything that comes in pairs (arms, carriers, etc...), if you break one side, replace the other side as well. Most parts today should be a direct fit, with exception of carriers. If you change them out you will want to upgrade to bearings, and likely new shafts as well.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

The 90s rustlers are definitely worth fixing, it's very rare to find one with a decent body so if I were you I wouldn't run them with the bodies very often if ever. They're just rustlers so most all modern parts are interchangeable. You should definitely upgrade to ball bearings instead of the factory bushings, if you break a-arms IMO you should always upgrade to RPM, castle is always a good choice for brushless, and if you upgrade that you should probably upgrade to the 2.4 ghz radio system too, if you do end up going with the castle system it wouldn't be a bad idea to upgrade the tires too, the stock ones don't put the power to the road very well IMO. What ever you do keep us posted and don't sell to cheap because they are very hard to find!
    If you can turn ya ain't goin fast enough!

RC poster
    If I run 2s lipo in these old Ruslters would it just meltdown immediately or might I be ok if I just check temps regularly?

What motor? If it's the xl5 titan 12t than you should be fine but I don't know about the old xl1 systems, I run 2s on my slash with the stock xl5 system and it's fine.

The older xl5s don't have a Lipo cutoff, but to my understanding, these rustlers either have an MSC in them or an XL1 ESC. I would run nimhs only on the stock setup if that is the case.
    and RC pilots say RC cars can't fly!

Quote Originally Posted by StampedeSwag13
    The older xl5s don't have a Lipo cutoff, but to my understanding, these rustlers either have an MSC in them or an XL1 ESC. I would run nimhs only on the stock setup if that is the case
    If that's the case, upgrade to either a brushless or the xl-5, the old esc's weren't very good, they were a lot slower and not as reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by RCMad72 View Post
    If that's the case, upgrade to either a brushless or the xl-5, the old esc's weren't very good, they were a lot slower and not as reliable.
    One issue. Back when brushless wasn't a thing, the drivetrain was mostly plastic on the rustler, so make sure to upgrade those to the metal components.
    Last edited by StampedeSwag13; 03-22-2017 at 01:00 PM.

RC poster
    But LiPo cuttoff just protects the battery not anything else right? I have a LiPo alarm when using these batteries. Yes, one even has an old manual speed control (!). So I might burn it out somehow?

RC poster
    These both have the yellowish chassis and parts like my vintage RC10 had (arms and such). No black plastic. This means these are likely the first edition rustler right? Especially if it has a Manual speed controller on one?

Would you mind posting some pics?

RC poster
    Will do let me get back with them.