RC Enthusiast

Revo Big Block Upgrade

I am new to the forum and I need a little help picking out a big block for my revo. I was originally looking at an LRP.21 spec 3 but I'm not sure what I would need to drop it in. I was hoping to be able to use a pull start over the ez start or roto. Any other engine suggestions would be great. I would like to do this conversion with as little modification required possible. I was sad to see that the Picco .26 was no longer an option due to lack of avalibility. That would of been my first choice. On a side note, does the Dynamite .26 Mach 2 fit in with the pull start? I heard that was pretty much a drop in using the Traxxas BB revo conversion kit.

RC Champion
    The mid blocks like the picco 26 would fit with the pull start or ez start. If using a true big block and you want a pull start or rotostart like the lrp then you have to get a new era style mount. This mount puts the motor in a higher position and allows for enough room to clear the pull start but it also creates other issues around the throttle linkage and exhaust mounting. It's all a give and take scenario. The OS Tm is a drop in motor and will make a revo move on out - and it's reliable and easy to tune.
    I have an RC problem...

RC Enthusiast
    Is the Picco .26 still available somewhere? I have been looking and I cant seem to find one. It would be my first choice if I did.

RC Champion
    check ebay. I saw one or two. You will also need to locate the Ofna mount because the Picco 26 max is a mid-block motor. I am not sure if the traxxas big block mount will work for mounting a mid block motor.
    I have an RC problem...

RC Enthusiast
    I found a JL Force .28 engine on eBay brand new for $119 plus one mount for $29.99.
    http://www.eofna.com/Force-JL-28-Rev...nt_p_8910.html
    http://www.eofna.com/Force-JL-28-MAX...o_p_16050.html
    My only concern would be if it would fit with a pull start...

RC Champion
    i know the picco max fit with either the pull start or the ez start so the JL should work as well. It's also a mid block engine like the picco.
    I have an RC problem...

RC Enthusiast
    This looks like the way to go then!

With the JL/Force though, your stuck using their mount, which is hard set, so you can't play around much with your spur/bell ratio. I'm not sure if the traxxas BB mount will work with it or not.

I use the old school new era mount, which lets you use any big block. They are like finding unicorns now though. I have two of them... well, one new era and a second one a guy made for me using my new era as a template. He was supposed to make a batch of them and sell them, but I don't think he ever did. I got one of his first prototypes as a "thanks" for letting him borrow my mount for a few months. I won't sell either of them... ever. Too hard to replace.

Even still, with my second revo, I went with an OS21TM drop in. No where near the torque of my LRP28 in my other revo, but does better than the 3.3 I had in it. Not sure it was $260 better...

Check around and see if the JL 28 mid-block can use the traxxas BB mount. If so, go with that. Dynamite engines are ok, but unless you buy one of the platinum ones, they aren't the longest living engines. 5-6 gallons then the pinch gets weak. Also, if you get one with the spin/pull-start, they like to fall apart just by looking at them funny.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC Champion
    I just received a reproduction new era mount from ckeithnitro. He sells them on eBay for about $75 and it comes with everything needed to install. Nicely machined mount. The real deal new era mounts are unicorns and super expensive when they come up for sale.
    I have an RC problem...

Quote Originally Posted by rock-rod View Post
    I just received a reproduction new era mount from ckeithnitro. He sells them on eBay for about $75 and it comes with everything needed to install. Nicely machined mount. The real deal new era mounts are unicorns and super expensive when they come up for sale.
    That's the other guy. Forgot his handle. Pretty sure he had them on ebay for a while.
    Expert rigging at it's best!