RC Competitor

80+ mph jato 3.3?????

what do yall think??? i figured i would ask you guys, since yall know more than i do about this stuff

just got new jato 3.3 and wanting to do top speed runs at this really huge college parking lot next to my house, its always empty on weekends

mods are ordered or pending order and listed

*trying to find largest clutch bell and smallest spur gear possible, then gonna order it

*doing the Traxxas 3.3 Super Mod with life time rod and ceramic bearings from rb mods http://rbmods.net/rbshop/index.php?t...category_id=49 i called and talked to rick himself and he said this engine mod will get you right at 90mph barrier in the 4 tec 3.3 so it should give awesome mph gains in the jato 3.3!!!

*getting a ofna .26 carb on the way

* http://bukupower.com/smallBlock.html going with the buku pipe

*running byrons 30% with 9% lubricants

*maybe taller rear tires to give it more gearing for top speed

*traxxas Part #5551X Low Mass Metal Constant Velocity Driveshafts, less rotational mass for quicker acceleration and slight increase in top speed

i hope to have all parts shipped in and installed in a couple of weeks, what speed should i expect with this set up???? rick at rb mods sems to think i should see 80-85mph depending on gear options, he said with the engine mod, pipe, and carb mod all combined will have more than enough power i just need to find a gear for it to pull......

so what do yall think i should see in mph??? any predictions??? i hope to have video up in 2 weeks or so to see what it does

note: this will be my first attempt at this other than just bashing around with stock stuff
    Last edited by robbie21mma; 08-11-2008 at 07:50 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Read forbes thread and check his speeds, 80-85mph seems almost out of reach.
    Slash 4X4, Blitz ESE, Motocross, Mtn. Biking

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by robbie21mma
    what do yall think??? i figured i would ask you guys, since yall know more than i do about this stuff

just got new jato 3.3 and wanting to do top speed runs at this really huge college parking lot next to my house, its always empty on weekends

mods are ordered or pending order and listed

*trying to find largest clutch bell and smallest spur gear possible, then gonna order it

*doing the Traxxas 3.3 Super Mod with life time rod and ceramic bearings from rb mods http://rbmods.net/rbshop/index.php?t...category_id=49 i called and talked to rick himself and he said this engine mod will get you right at 90mph barrier in the 4 tec 3.3 so it should give awesome mph gains in the jato 3.3!!!

*getting a ofna .26 carb on the way

* http://bukupower.com/smallBlock.html going with the buku pipe

*running byrons 30% with 9% lubricants

*maybe taller rear tires to give it more gearing for top speed

i hope to have all parts shipped in and installed in a couple of weeks, what speed should i expect with this set up???? rick at rb mods sems to think i should see 80-85mph depending on gear options, he said with the engine mod, pipe, and carb mod all combined will have more than enough power i just need to find a gear for it to pull......

so what do yall think i should see in mph??? any predictions??? i hope to have video up in 2 weeks or so to see what it does

note: this will be my first attempt at this other than just bashing around with stock stuff
    That will be one nice engine bro. I like AB mods myself, but for the 3.3 that rod and bearing upgrade I here is the bomb from RB. The rod is lighter and much more durable than the stock rod. It will prbably scream like my .12.

It is just a lot of cash. $140 3.3 and a $225 engine upgrade is steep. Add shipping and you are knocking at the door of $400. If you got the cash, look into getting the backplate and run a starter box to get the most out of it. Good luck bro.
    REVO LRP .30x

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I wouldnt believe something i never seen...

The widest gearing for the 4tec dont allow the engine to rev enought to hit 90mph in a 4tec. Id say 80mph for 4tec and 70-75 for the Jato with good setup.

Only way you could get them to run close to that speed is to run extremely high nitro %.

Good luck with your project, will be interesting to follow!
    World fastest E-revo 91.2mph / Revo 75mph
    ABmods

RC Champion
    ok ... well i just have to say it how i see it.....
    don't get ur hopes up.... i have beeen tryin for a year now for 71... the force carb and others... read my post.... not sayin u cant do it.....but don't expect it first run
    been there bought that

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by forbes
    ok ... well i just have to say it how i see it.....
    don't get ur hopes up.... i have beeen tryin for a year now for 71... the force carb and others... read my post.... not sayin u cant do it.....but don't expect it first run
    yea forbes. I know how hard you worked. You def put in the wrench time bro. You earned it the hard way.
    REVO LRP .30x

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by revonitro
    That will be one nice engine bro. I like AB mods myself, but for the 3.3 that rod and bearing upgrade I here is the bomb from RB. The rod is lighter and much more durable than the stock rod. It will prbably scream like my .12.

It is just a lot of cash. $140 3.3 and a $225 engine upgrade is steep. Add shipping and you are knocking at the door of $400. If you got the cash, look into getting the backplate and run a starter box to get the most out of it. Good luck bro.
    yeah its a chunk of money but hey its gonna be fun, rick at rb mods said with that rod being much lighter than stock it will make the engine turn alot more rpm's which will equal more mph, how much is the question??? i hope its worth it, if not oh well i tried

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Good attitude, we will all be happy to see your Jato run!
    Now you have to get a camera and a radar
    ABmods

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    hahaha good luck with that. your going to need a huge parking lot for 80mph. i'm sure if you try hard enough and get the right parts you'll be looking at some serious speed. get some videos up reguardless of your top speeds.
    |N|i|t|r|o|m|e|t|h|a|n|e| - My anti-drug

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by tmaxxchump
    hahaha good luck with that. your going to need a huge parking lot for 80mph.
    thats an understatement....more like 3 football fields, then the rod will prolly shoot to the moon
    Keep spendin $$ and ur still in the way!!

RC Qualifier
    wow im gonna follow this thread
    MY JATO IS FASTER THAN YOUR JATO

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Over_revO
    The widest gearing for the 4tec dont allow the engine to rev enought to hit 90mph in a 4tec. Id say 80mph for 4tec and 70-75 for the Jato with good setup.
    I agree with you... its really hard to get nitro's to go fast, upgrades won't just cut it just like that...

RC Qualifier
    Just wodering, does the speed count if you do it going down hill? If so gear that baby to the moon and find a hill. I will also be following this thread. Good luck.
    Slash 4X4, Blitz ESE, Motocross, Mtn. Biking

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    dont think downhill counts...

RC Champion
    ROFL so i guess my idea about tossing it off a tall building is out too?......

you know what so long as it is a mild grade I don't think it will matter too much.

Land speed records require a run in each direction and an average of the two runs.

lets just keep it simple, radar, camera, and parking lot or equivilant... no hills
    (Got Fuel?) REVO 3.3, Jato 3.3, Rustys Daddy!

RC Qualifier
    When I got mine from the LHS, I swear I hit 91 mph in my Silverado on the way home. The Jato was in the back seat, it ran really cool even though I couldn't see any smoke coming out of the pipe!! Bone stock 3.3 in the box.
    NOT A MAMBA, NOT A MAZDA--TEKIN RX8-problem solved

RC Qualifier
    lol sellinchevs..nice on when mine got next day aired by ups im sure it hit a few hundred lol

RC Racer
    If you really want to hit the max speed possible you will have to do wind tunnel testing. I would be highly impressed if anyone actually spent the time and money to professionally tune their car for aerodynamics.
    Realistically though, I'd look into different bodies, get something like a 300mm gtr-style body maybe and get the car as low as possible, or try really narrow dish wheels, or whatever - just try things out. You'll need the aerodynamics for top speed

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabe
    If you really want to hit the max speed possible you will have to do wind tunnel testing. I would be highly impressed if anyone actually spent the time and money to professionally tune their car for aerodynamics.
    Realistically though, I'd look into different bodies, get something like a 300mm gtr-style body maybe and get the car as low as possible, or try really narrow dish wheels, or whatever - just try things out. You'll need the aerodynamics for top speed

But by then its not considered a stadium truck anymore ...
    To be the fastest stadium truck it need to look like a stadium truck.

ABmods

RC Qualifier
    make sure you put a failsafe on it... im pretty sure youll have to drive it WAY WAY WAY far away to get ample space for the engine to rev high enough...

It would be funny though if you didnt put a failsafe on, and when you drive you $1000+ jato for your ultimate speed run, it does 80mph into a wall...
    #mphModel: 60NR, 62Jato, 51Revo, 36Slash, 35MiniT

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMan3
    make sure you put a failsafe on it... im pretty sure youll have to drive it WAY WAY WAY far away to get ample space for the engine to rev high enough...

It would be funny though if you didnt put a failsafe on, and when you drive you $1000+ jato for your ultimate speed run, it does 80mph into a wall...
    oh believe i will..... its funny you say that cuz i had a brand new jammin x1cr pro kit *took me a whole week to build cuz pro race kits come parts only and not ready to run* when i finally got it built i took it to the college parking lot by my house on the weekend when its empty, the engine i got for it was a novarossi .21 pro race model that was completely modded by world wide known jim hottinger, the set up i had was the best of the best literally..... the pro .21 full race buggy even had real carbon fiber pieces, real carbon fiber not look alike but real carbon fiber parts, best servos etc.etc. i had over $2,100 in this car, heck the spektrum radio system i had was over $450 just for the radio, so when i say the best of the best i meant it lol,..... and i didnt put a fail safe on it yet cuz i was just gonna do the engine break-in in the parking lot, so i got out and got everything set up then started to run it for the break-in procedure that i do and within 2 minutes it just out of the blue got stuck on wide open throttle, i have no idea why still til this day and it took off like a rocket all the way across the parking lot which is about 4.5 football fields long then it hit the curb at the end of the parking lot and flew probably 80ft in the air, it was in a million pieces and scattered all over, i would find pieces like 50ft apart from each other lol,...... i guess it was just some messed up radio signal or something,... i didnt even get to race the buggy i didnt even get to break it in i drove it maybe 2 min. before that happened and out of the blue it takes off and wont respond to me braking it or nothing..... needless to say i use fail safe no matter what now, even under break in procedures lol

RC Qualifier
    lol thats sucks were any parts useable lol

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabe
    as for getting it low.... there is so much downforce on the body at the time the bodies drag on evry lil thing..... unless u have a perfect debris free runway......
    been there bought that

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by robbie21mma
    oh believe i will..... its funny you say that cuz i had a brand new jammin x1cr pro kit *took me a whole week to build cuz pro race kits come parts only and not ready to run* when i finally got it built i took it to the college parking lot by my house on the weekend when its empty, the engine i got for it was a novarossi .21 pro race model that was completely modded by world wide known jim hottinger, the set up i had was the best of the best literally..... the pro .21 full race buggy even had real carbon fiber pieces, real carbon fiber not look alike but real carbon fiber parts, best servos etc.etc. i had over $2,100 in this car, heck the spektrum radio system i had was over $450 just for the radio, so when i say the best of the best i meant it lol,..... and i didnt put a fail safe on it yet cuz i was just gonna do the engine break-in in the parking lot, so i got out and got everything set up then started to run it for the break-in procedure that i do and within 2 minutes it just out of the blue got stuck on wide open throttle, i have no idea why still til this day and it took off like a rocket all the way across the parking lot which is about 4.5 football fields long then it hit the curb at the end of the parking lot and flew probably 80ft in the air, it was in a million pieces and scattered all over, i would find pieces like 50ft apart from each other lol,...... i guess it was just some messed up radio signal or something,... i didnt even get to race the buggy i didnt even get to break it in i drove it maybe 2 min. before that happened and out of the blue it takes off and wont respond to me braking it or nothing..... needless to say i use fail safe no matter what now, even under break in procedures lol
    Did you not set up you fail safe in your spektrum? You dont need a extra one most spektrums comes with a built in fail safe.. That does suck about you car though!
    Jato O.S. 21tm. w/ buku pipe

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by redseal8
    Did you not set up you fail safe in your spektrum? You dont need a extra one most spektrums comes with a built in fail safe.. That does suck about you car though!
    yeah i should have but after taking a week to build the car i just wanted to break it in lol,..... so i just got everything set up just to run the car for break-in and was gonna do everything else needed to be done on race day, fine tune *and program fail safe* and chassis adjustments etc etc i guess i should have taken the extra 30 seconds and programmed the fail safe on it

RC poster
    I got my jato up to 68 with stock gearing, funny car front wheels, and proline 2.2 x 3.60 rears. Im also on custom mix 25%
    Jato 3.3 #CopperHead

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by fast5racing View Post
    I got my jato up to 68 with stock gearing, funny car front wheels, and proline 2.2 x 3.60 rears. Im also on custom mix 25%
    Was that with the 3.3?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by fast5racing View Post
    BACK FROM THE DEAD, its actualy very easy to reach 80-85 mph with a jato, change over to revo gearing and BAM your there. my rusty will run low 80s with revo gearing, i also run 2.8 road rages.
    2.5r Pede, 2-speed O.S.21tm rusty , 3.3T-maxx