Thread: 2nd gear

RC Competitor

2nd gear

Lost 2nd gear today in my jato. I tried adjusting the little Allen screw that adjust shifts turning it either way didn't help.
    I have yet to pull the transmission out yet and tear down. Any sudjestions on what to look for that went bad.
    Tmaxx 3.3,jato 3.3,Slayer pro 4x4

RC Qualifier
    Check your tune, if you are too rich, and don't reach the rpm's, it will not shift to second. Have you had a big temp change where you are at? Other wise you will have to tear it apart, and see what is going on inside
    Rusty 2.5R,T-max 2.5 & 3.3,Summit VXL Nitro 4-tec

RC Competitor
    No my tune is spot on. Going to rear it apart in the next day or so. Think I stripped some teeth on second gear.

RC Racer
    Inside the transmission, there's the small screw that adjusts the shifting point 1st gear to 2nd gear.
    The spring tension determines when the car will shift to 1st gear to 2nd gear. If the spring is too tight, it will never shift into 2nd gear. If it is too lose, the spring inside might pop out and you will lose the ability to shift. I believe the spring is located inside the ellen screw inside the drivehub 5590.
    In the manual page 33, it shows how to adjust the shifting point for further explanation.

RC Competitor
    i just haven't wanted to pull the tranny apart because I didn't want to be without my jato and it's been running great with just first gear. Well today I lost that gear and decided I would pull the trans apart. As you can see the first gear teeth are shredded and in inside part of the second gear were the shift hub mounts is broken. Time to order some parts.

RC Racer
    Wow, the gears are all chewed up... on ebay, there's this guy nitromaster and he sells stock Jato parts cheap...
    Check it out to save you couple bucks.

RC Competitor
    Ya there not to bad under 10 bucks for both 1st and 2nd gear sets.

RC Competitor
    Got all gears, 2 servo cases and 100 body clips all for under 25 bucks with free shipping. Not to shabby ��

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrocrazy66 View Post
    Got all gears, 2 servo cases and 100 body clips all for under 25 bucks with free shipping. Not to shabby ��
    Nice, keep us posted on after you juice the beast back up