RC Qualifier

My new Traxxas Villain EX!

Well guys and gals, I got me a new (well new to me) Villain EX. Check the gallery out for some pictures! I don't see any threads on this model anymore??? What should be my first upgrades/modifications? I plan to be a salt water recovery boat so I don't need brushless systems. I would like to add some trim tabs though... I also will be replacing the older 27mhz system with a newer 2.4. Coolecool, feel free to chime in on my Villain!

Like I said in the PM, you need to change your display options to see the older posts.

As for the trim tabs, I haven't really found a use for them on this boat. The surface drives are adjustable, and that offers you quite a bit of play as far as how the boat runs in the water. I do, however, run turn fins on one of my Villains; they allow me to run a higher drive setting without compromising the ability to handle at speed in choppy water conditions.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Qualifier
    Thanks cooleocool, I got all of them now! Which turn fins do you think I should run? Just stock spartan fins or some from Kintec,OSE, or boat blitz? I just was curious about the trim tabs, just seems as it has a bit of chine walk and bow movement... I played with it this morning and it does not seem as fun in smooth water.
    PM for info.....

My fins were custom designed for the Villain by an old forum member here, but you haven't been able to get them for years. I'd recommend searching back a bit here in the Villain sub-forum; there are a few members here who have used other turn fins.

The fins took care of the chine walking on mine, so I'd recommend starting there.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks! I will try Spartan fins... I put out a video of my Villain as it floats now in the gallery. I have been reading all the ancient posts for tweaks and suggestions!
    PM for info.....

Could you post a picture of the back of your Spartan next to the back of your Villain? I'm curious about the size of those Spartan fins, and a side-by-side picture would be perfect.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post
    Could you post a picture of the back of your Spartan next to the back of your Villain? I'm curious about the size of those Spartan fins, and a side-by-side picture would be perfect.
    Anything for the cooleocool! After actually doing more than thinking about it I sized the fin mounts to the Villain and there is really no where to put them without modifying the fins or damaging the hull. I am thinking that I may get some fins from a mini-mono or something...

Yeah, I wasn't sure how the vertical bolt pattern would work with the limited real estate on the Villain.

That first set sounds (at least as I sit here imagining their size in my mind) a little small. It also looks like they have a single mounting bolt, and I don't care for that.

The second set is probably pretty close to the optimal length (maybe a tad long, but I can't say for sure without seeing how they look on the boat). They also have dual horizontal mounting bolts.

That said, I know there are some fins people have bought more recently (within the past couple of years) that have worked well. I just cannot recall exactly which ones they were. A quick search should dig them up, though.

RC Qualifier
    Alright, I was running yesterday and smelled some sort of burnt smell. I took little inspection on my Villain because another boat was passing buy(the kind of junked up fishing boat) and figured that it was there little fish boat. I ran today and after running I noticed a small deformity on the bottom of the hatch. IT WAS STARTING TO MELT!!!!!! I immediately took the boat out of the water and cleaned it up in the kitchen sink. I am curious if this is common or just because I was running in warm water? The boat was inside for the day so I could have cooler temps while running. I think I may be just shelving this thing after all before I start to mod or destroy it! Is there any material that could help this problem besides using the boat in ice water?

Is the hatch melting in the "foot wells" near the front? I think one of mine has a similar deformity from a time when my motors got way too warm.

Your motors are water cooled, correct? What was the ambient air temp when you were running the boat? How how were the other electronics? Which batteries (cell count and capacity) were you using and were you doing back-to-back runs?

The motors can run a little warm, but I have rarely had problems with it running 12 cells for a solid 10-11 minutes. I've ran in some fairly warm water, too. The only time I've really had any issues with motor temps was when I'd be doing back-to-back runs without letting the electronics cool down.

One thing I would quickly check while you're at it, though, is the gear mesh; ensure that there isn't any binding.

RC Qualifier
    Yes the melting is in the "foot wells"... The Twin's are watercooled, ambient temp was 83F, all tronics are good, two 8.4 3000mAh (7cell). The water was probably way to warm for running anyways, I have checked the drivelines and they are clear and lubed without any issues. I think it was a just a combo of driving hard(and I mean throttle 95% of the run) and warm water, I wont be running much anymore with it, I love the looks and want to keep it that way. It also may have been due to the boat was not in water (small chop) so the water inlet was not getting fed. I try to back the throttle down in turns and not immediately MAX power. I have looked around on the older threads and only found wires melting(could have been it). I am all stock except the 8.4 volt Ni-mh, the boat was in an ambient temp of 74F for 2 hours so I could get cooler temps at the end of the run. I may just be pushing the 10yr old Villain too hard(Don't know for sure how old it is, but the EX was released in 2003). I was thinking and I will not be adding mods, I am keeping the boat original(except the junky radio system and servo). Have you ever used the ram bilge pump? I may modify it so it could continuously pump water through the lines, it seems as a good though but I don't know how the pump will react when the Villain is picking up water from it's stock inlet.
    Last edited by Spartanator; 10-09-2013 at 10:08 PM.

I doubt that you're pushing it too hard with 3,000mAh packs (assuming that you aren't making back-to-back runs). I also doubt that the water is too warm, as I've ran mine in some warm water without issue.

Did you check to make sure that the cooling system was working properly? The easiest way to test the system is to look for the water coming out from the side of the boat. A pump would be pointless, in my opinion, as a standard water pickup should work just fine.

RC Qualifier
    I didnt think I was able to push real hard with my junk batteries, I have done a back to back run but it was the hot water day. I have checked out the cooling lines and there all clear without leakage. I just figured that with the pump I could constantly cooling the motors and ESC. I may try it again but I like my Villain the way it is. I think the surface water is too warm by the time I run at late daylight, it has all day for the Texas sun to heat it up. It may just the motors about to die. I want to do this bilge pump thing for the cooling lines though, I am just worried that it will impair the natural water pickup while running with speed.

If you're really worried about the cooling system, add another water pickup and cool the motors separately from the ESC. Other than that, you really shouldn't need to do anything else. If you're right and the water really is too warm (I still doubt that it is), pumping more of it through the lines isn't going to help much with your motor heat issue.

If the water temp was that big of an issue, I'm of the opinion that you'd be having heat problems with your ESC as well.

RC Qualifier
    Ok I may figured out what caused melting..... I was reprogramming my ESC/TX/RX. I noticed that one of my motors shot out a large spark, guess my Villain won't be swing water for A while since I don't like to go swimming.
    PM for info.....

Are you talking about sparks inside of the motor? If so, that's called arching and is perfectly normal for a brushed motor. That said, motors tend to arch more when they are wearing out. As a former moderator here once said: "Some sparks between the comm and brushes are normal. Flames shooting out of the endbell are not." (I always loved that quote.)

RC Qualifier
    Thanks, it's mostly inside the motor but when the receiver acted funny and went from full forward to full reverse and it shot a rather large spark out(enough to leave a mark on the cardboard next to it). I will probably be shelfing my Villain soon, and it will stay there. I like the looks of the Villain and it's fun factor so I don't want to tear it up.
    PM for info.....

Going from forward to reverse would likely cause excessive arching, but I would also venture to say that your motors are getting tired. Why shelf the boat if it will cost less than $50 to fix?

RC Qualifier
    It's not about the money with this boat, I could drop in some kind of brushless system but the fact that in my head is that my Villain is old, I would really like to keep in in tip top condition. Salt water tends to interfere with the quality of the boat. Especially how close I am to the gulf, it took 3 day for the metal coke bottle cap to rust, and I don't mean just a few spots.
    PM for info.....