Banned by Warnings

DC Power Supplies Wired In Parallel...?

I have two regulated power supplies...

13.8V/10A (13.83V actual @ terminal post)
    13.8V/3-5A (13.77V actual @ terminal post)

My questions are...

Can I wire the two of them together in parallel to make one 13.8V/13-15A regulated power supply without damaging the power supplies themselves? If so, how should I do it?

I also remember reading someplace that there is another way to do it so you have a master and a slave power supply, so that you run the load directly from the master and the slave acts as a backup or something like that. Anyone know how to do this?

I know that I will have to use a terminal box of some kind (a 2x4 w/bolts through it should work, lol) and to use the same gauge/length wire to connect the power supplies to the terminal box... I think the idea is not to put the load on either of the power supplies directly.
    Last edited by JaWs66; 04-13-2005 at 01:10 AM.

RC Racer
    One quick question- Where might you need 15A?

Dan
    Pure Power Rusty!

Banned by Warnings
    Originally posted by Shiss Dräck
    One quick question- Where might you need 15A?

Dan
    Im running 3 chargers, DuraTrax Piranha's to be more specific...

Its just that the 13.8V/3-5A power supply gets pretty warm when I use it for one charger by itself. When I test the charger to see how many amps its pulling, it peaks at about 6A when I press the button, then decreases to about 4A or so. I think that because the power supply is rated at 3A continuous/5A max, its getting a bit over worked by itself... am I off on this at all?

RC Champion
    You know, you could just use an old computer powersupply.

Most have some good chunky voltage ratigns on the 12v rails, and they also have a couple other rails to use. Most of them also run 10 to 30 amp on the 12v rails.

These can be had pretty cheaply too.
    By caffeine alone I set my mind in motion, By the beans of Java
    do thoughts acquire speed, hands acquire shaking, the shaking
    becomes a warning, By caffeine alone do I set my mind in motion.

Banned by Warnings
    Thanks for the tip...

However, I have 2 very nice power supplies and would just like to use them in parallel if possible.

Banned by Warnings

Anyone???

Im still looking for an answer to this question, if anybody knows anything about his stuff... please feel free to comment!!!

get an older computer like an original pentium, theyre generally free. Steal the power supply.
    As long as it does not have power management (will tell you to turn off the computer when windows is shut down, as opposed to turning off), they'll have a switch directly connected to the power supply...no hacking!

RC Qualifier

Re: Anyone???

Originally posted by JaWs66
    Im still looking for an answer to this question, if anybody knows anything about his stuff... please feel free to comment!!!
    No you can not, it could possably start a fire.
    Its a T-Maxx thing, you wouldn't understand.

Banned by Warnings

Re: Re: Anyone???

Originally posted by cands

No you can not, it could possably start a fire.
    Well, I know one thing for sure... it wont start a fire if its done correctly. I realize that if its done wrong, it could be very dangerous... thats why I asked.

I know for a fact that it can be done... I just wanted to know how to do it correctly. It has something to do with evening the load over both supplies, but Im not sure exactly how to do this... thats why I asked.

Common now, doesnt anybody here knows anything about this???

RC Champion
    in my experence runing two power suplies of different amperages cause extreem resistance and heat. i nearly meltes a Radio shack 9.6v battery this way. the same would go for power suplies
    just got a revo
    so long spacemaxx