Thread: Tuning help.

RC Enthusiast

Tuning help.

Hey everyone. I bought a T-Maxx 2.5r well used off someone the other day and have spent the last 3 days getting it working. This is my very first nitro, so it has been exhausting. I now have it running, and driving BUT it just doesn't seem right. It doesn't seem to kick down when I let go of the gas. It takes a few seconds to start kicking down while its driving. It also wants to take off once its started, and coming to a stop, and then it kicks down and sits idle . I know just a bit about the high low settings, and I am not sure what to do to finish the tuning. It seems to be very fast and extremely loud, (which I love of course) but maybe running too lean you think? Maybe my newbie description isn't good enough, but ANYTHING you can offer would be helpful. Thanx in advance for your help.
    It all started with just one....more.

RC Competitor
    I'm fairly new new to nitro, I messed with like 10/11 years ago so I'm basically new. Did you happen to check the clutch pads make sure they are not worn out?
    Traxxas E-Revo,Traxxas Rustler VXL,Traxxas T-Maxx

Get the engine nice and warm after about half a tank of driving then tune. Read up and absorb the following link: https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...our-TRX-Engine
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    Sounds lean to me !!!!! They will act extremely goofy when they are hot and lean. Once you get it down you'll be able to instantly recognize it !!!! Def follow double g's advice and read that link thoroughly !!!! It'll save you money in the long run. Gauranteed
    Basically it won't hurt to start from scratch on the carb settings. As it doesn't take long to get one tuned in once she's warmed up. Also a word of warning. You say WELL used !!!! Its entirely possible she may not hold a tune due to er being TOO well used !!!!!! Though once the engines are cashed out I've found they are generally hard to even start much less keep running consistently
    Last edited by Geeps1; 02-07-2017 at 08:56 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    It starys and runs...it will even sit idle, but I am not saying its still not too used. The problem is I live in Canada. Nitro is few and far between, as with many places, but to have things shipped in is ridiculously expensive. I figured I would try a nitro before I invested any big bucks into it, and so far its been pretty fun. Sometimes just ripping apart something....figuring how it works...cleanin it up and putting it back together is all good with me. Thanks for the link...greatly appreciated.
    It all started with just one....more.

RC Competitor
    Thats exactly what its all about. That engine sounds like its got plenty life left if it will set there and idle.
    Start with the factory carb settings. And go from there. You'll get the hang of it. Don't let it get hotter than @265-270 if it does. Richen the HSP left 1/8 and you'll be bout where you need to be.
    Oh.
    And get a temp gun if you don't have one. Between a temp gun. Keeping an eye on the smoke trail (there should always be one) and your ears you'll have that thing running like a sewing machine. (Old saying my grandpa used when we would rebuild something and finally get it tuned right)