Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RC Competitor

Thumbs up Project 4 Tec Pro Formula Drift & D1 custom build

Alright, this is the start of something very special to me and hopefully the rest of our community here. I wont go into much detail yet but I will tell you this.. Carbon fiber, new custom aluminum a big possiblity, steering upgrades, stunning looks and possibly a brushless conversion available soon after the first prototype is finished. Limited detail pictures comming soon until a release date is official for a custom upgrade type kit will be made available, it will contain many features that have never been avaible and will be bolt on compatible. Please subscribe to this thread to stay updated! Please keep your comment possitive here and if you would like to contribute ideas they will be welcomed and may be used in a production bolt on kit upgrade. Thanks and grab your popcorn gentlemen. All factory parts and upgrades are going to be used to start with in testing what exactly has to be improved upon, in doing so I promote the Traxxas brand name, promote the use of Traxxas (R) factory available parts/upgrades and I have no intention of making copies of Traxxas parts. All rights go to Traxxas and everything they advertise/market/produce. I am in no way affiliated with the Traxxas name or its affiliates. All concepts that are already used in building a good drift chassis around the world will be considered and researched. Any use of those concepts will only promote better design of an outstanding Traxxas factory chassis that just needs more public support and available upgrades.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Double G; 06-06-2014 at 11:43 AM. Reason: merge

RC Competitor
    Ground Zero, breaking in a fresh 3.3 motor[IMG][/IMG]

RC Competitor
    Recieved 95% current Traxxas optiona[IMG][/IMG]l parts.

RC Competitor
    Getting started on the build... [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

RC Competitor
    Installing Traxxas upgrades part 1 w/ mounted staggered offset wheels that are much wider and taller. Those wheels and tires mock the real deals. [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

RC Competitor
    A second chassis shipping out next week to be converted into some thing else , something simular to what Traxxas has made but will go to a new level of crazyness. So if your watching my thread I hope you are getting as excited as I am! Its evolution at the edge of current technology here. [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by JohnnySlayerPro4x4; 06-06-2014 at 08:54 PM.

RC Competitor
    Monday morning Ill get started on the Traxxas pro ball diffs, I am still waiting for a few things on order to come in before I can finish the base assembly, and a special on remote start from transmitter will be tested as well , Ill try to get some decent test video for all of you following this. I plan to use the extra weight to help balance the chassis out, and speaking of that a 4 corner weight scale will soon follow.
    Last edited by JohnnySlayerPro4x4; 06-07-2014 at 09:27 AM.

RC Racer
    so are you going to make discontinued graphite parts or are you going to modify the actual 4 tec platform

RC Competitor
    I plan to make new parts that will fit the 3.3 platform, but I do not intend to make any replica graphite clones of the parts Traxxas used to offer , instead they will be different enough plus have more features then previous legacy designs. PM me if you would like more details about that everyone.

How many people miss the 1998 4-Tec Pro? Odds are anyone and everyone who knew about it. But I can understand 80% of the market not being interested in graphite and the high cost of upgrading a standard chassis, its not cheap to do it and probly doesnt make a company much profit to offer those types of parts, but thats just a guess, we are in a different market today and most highend stuff is going that direction. The 20% of us will always want the best materials to have/ work/use or show off, thats fine with me. In Asia the stuff is getting rediculously tech, with some on road chassis pegging $800 with out a radio , motor, servos or batteries.
    Last edited by JohnnySlayerPro4x4; 06-07-2014 at 03:38 PM. Reason: merge

RC Competitor
    Topics that need attention to get this build to drift properly are as follows::

1 Steering modifications that allow increased throw with out slop or play, mods to the A arms , hubs , steering linkage and stock axles/CVDs will be a must

2 chassis weight , a reduction in weight is a must and the the ratio of weight front to back must be experimented with , tests will begin at 50/50, 45/55, 40/60

3 a good factory aluminum lower chassis is good for smooth surfaces in drifting but not for parking lots or roads because being extremely stiff make the car twitch alot , so adding some flexing will yeld better results since most likely that is a real world condition , electric rc drift cars are better for indoors and very tight tracks while the nitro drift car is better suited for real world conditions out doors.

To be continued....

RC Qualifier
    Interesting build. Looking forward to seeing it completed.
    Jato 3.3, Revo .28 JL Max, Nitro Stampede 3.3

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Jato View Post
    Interesting build. Looking forward to seeing it completed.
    Thanks for checking this build out, you add coals to the fire my friend! And speaking of that I just finished up the nitro dump cut out on the FD body [IMG][/IMG]

RC Competitor
    Tuning for guys who love corners, that said if you are new to rc this is a step you should skip and instead use silly puddy in your stock diffs.[IMG][/IMG[IMG][/IMG]

RC Champion
    Johnny, I'm following this thread with much interest for several reasons.. I love the car and want to see how yours turns out. I have the same vehicle that I've been toying with customizing. I had and wish I still had a 4tec pro back in the day.. You groundbreaking journey will be sure to inspire me to start and finish mine. On a good note, by sons drone business is really starting to take off and he just ordered a 3 axis cnc machine to go along with the laser cutter and 3d printer that are sitting in my shop.. I smell lots of projects in the works if I can get any time on the machines. He's always using them and they rarely sit idle lately..
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by cenracer1 View Post
    Johnny, I'm following this thread with much interest for several reasons.. I love the car and want to see how yours turns out. I have the same vehicle that I've been toying with customizing. I had and wish I still had a 4tec pro back in the day.. You groundbreaking journey will be sure to inspire me to start and finish mine. On a good note, by sons drone business is really starting to take off and he just ordered a 3 axis cnc machine to go along with the laser cutter and 3d printer that are sitting in my shop.. I smell lots of projects in the works if I can get any time on the machines. He's always using them and they rarely sit idle lately..
    Thanks a bunch my man! Let me know if you guys are interested in making some aluminum parts to bring this build together! Happy for you both and the news is exciting!

RC Champion
    I will talk to my son about that.. He suggested it to me. I have to see what the CNC is capable of first then go from there. Its primary use will be to cut CF sheets, but since its 3 axis it will cut just about anything. If the laser cutter would cut CF, we wouldn't need one of these..
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3

RC Competitor
    Wouldnt it just be crazy to cut suspension arms, upper deck support bracing and all that stuff, The old 4 tec pro used simple aluminum spacers for things like throttle servo and steering turnbuckle support and are discontinued pictured here (gray plastic is current 4 tec 3.3) im trying to get those spacers and posts from the UK to get a baseline measurement for redesign of the 3.3 which has much more chassis stiffness at the trans and motor. [IMG][/IMG][IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by JohnnySlayerPro4x4; 06-10-2014 at 04:53 PM. Reason: merge

RC Competitor
    [IMG][/IMG] This is all the hardware I am currently seeking for baseline tests. Also a new servo saver or hard arm will need to be used to get the steering throw drift worthy , I have already modified some things but that is the limit factor as of now.
    Last edited by JohnnySlayerPro4x4; 06-10-2014 at 05:26 PM.

RC Competitor
    Turnbuckle arms:: I had to extend the center link to avoid hitting the steering servo at full left lock. When experimenting I used this to bottom out the left turnbuckle arm adding a bump stop effect, it isnt a problem turning right, and doing this causes the right side to become sloppy at full right due to over compensation and nothing to stop the right turnbuckle arm at this point, the two turnbuckle arms will need to be reshaped for optimal possition of all steering linkage and clearances and a bump stop added to the right side. It was never intended for crazy front steering angles to be used, but the goal here will be to simplify the problem and solve it for good. This 1st attempt was to see if minor tweaking would yield acceptable results, I may also try different lengths for the center and right side independent of the left one, not an engineer so trial and error here. No binding of the drive shafts detected yet, but I am thinking new ball link type ends for linkage need to be adapted for the steering to flow smoothly. One could also drill new holes on the steering knuckles or make an add on peice to change the ratio, thats where Ill start next!
    Last edited by JohnnySlayerPro4x4; 06-10-2014 at 06:53 PM.

RC Competitor
    Subscribed..the 4-tec is by far my favorite. I've had an x0-1 and still have a brushless revo. The 4-tec is awesome. I'm glad to see someone bringing the spark back.

RC Competitor
    A JohnnySlayerPro4x4 exclusive rear belt mod, hand drilled 2 position idler pulley for the optional 15 tooth pulley, this mod ends stripped belts and provides more contact at the pulley teeth, you can now run the rear belt a tad more on the loose side freeing up transmission robbing power! Let me know what you guys think about it! All rights be to me for this ground breaking mod. [IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

RC Competitor
    One more shot of the new rear 15t pulley mod, yes please![IMG][/IMG]

RC Competitor
    The possibility of a fully adjustable version of the new idler pulley concept is also in the works with braces to make it more suitable for you touring guys, this version will be released later on, thanks for all your support, and if you have some frustrating issues with your Traxxas Nitro car or truck Im just a PM away.

RC Racer
    so the belt tensioner mod is so you can run a 15 tooth pulley ?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodgeviperred View Post
    so the belt tensioner mod is so you can run a 15 tooth pulley ?
    Yes, due to lack of different size belts it is needed, later Ill get into the 20T pulley , but at this time I see no need for it there. The 15T will lower front and rear gearing which will be great for a drift build or a super tight touring track. I dont see myself or anyone else needing 70 mph drifts so thats why I wanted to cut down a bit.

RC Racer
    why not just use tra4862 (50 grove belt) so you wont need to use a belt tensioner .

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodgeviperred View Post
    why not just use tra4862 (50 grove belt) so you wont need to use a belt tensioner .
    I prefer to pioneer and using the improved grip and less belt tension mod over the same old, gives the car an advantage over the stock setup, bigger engines will be very hard on belts and this mod is the answer for countless user complants about rear belt issues , there just isnt enough teeth to grab onto my friend. The end result improved belt and bearing life while freeing up some power as well!
    Last edited by JohnnySlayerPro4x4; 06-12-2014 at 03:48 PM.

RC Competitor
    For the record the other legacy belt sizes are all 4.5 mm width, my pulley mod allows you to retain the strength of the stock 6mm wide rear belt on the 3.3 4-Tec.

RC Competitor
    Rear end install finished, pulley alignment is adjustable, should be ready to ship tuesday for my SS Ultra Carbon chassis retro fit, I am doing everything I can to ensure you to will be able to have your very own... to be continued B) [IMG][/IMG]

RC Competitor
    Stumbled upon an original graphite rear brace on ebay, came in today and so It found a home after 16 years lol, this will aid development of new style upgrades. Will make available a new product with an upgraded look and enhanced design. Dont wanna produce anything thats ever been made before again, pioneering the future of the Ultimate 4-Tec machine, not just for myself but for us all. Team America [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by JohnnySlayerPro4x4; 06-14-2014 at 01:28 PM.

RC Competitor
    Modifications or new machined rear main shaft, mods to allow for a standard shaft 4mm 20T oneway bearing pulley so that you can get that "E" brake affect to initiate a drift, yes sir! No limit build here, its going down!

RC Competitor
    Update Lunsford titanium turnbuckles and chassis protection film on its way, stealth mounting in place. If tomorrow goes well , Ill be ontime to ship out the original chassis and a spare pan so that R&D on the SS ultra carbon chassis can begin, cut by a pro and designed by me to improve upon this award winning rock solid platform. [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by JohnnySlayerPro4x4; 06-16-2014 at 11:53 PM.

RC Competitor
    SS Ultra Carbon Chassis enhanced::

Narrow the pan base width - extend the RF area where the stock battery is located on the pan - larger extended receiver tray + a possible alternate location or transponder mount - new design of the front bearing block area for the front upper deck brace - enhanced rear brace and shock tower - enhanced design of the main upper deck level, 7.4v 2 cell lipo/life battery relocation behind front body mount location/extended stock location for your choice and body type, more to come! Please feel free to voice your thoughts about changes I am making or changes you would like to see happen, thank you for following
    Last edited by JohnnySlayerPro4x4; 06-17-2014 at 03:27 PM.

RC Competitor
    Front battery mount location mock up. The ideal location would be laying flat but there is only so much room to work with.. I would recommend moving the receiver to the orignal battery location on my new chassis set up. [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by JohnnySlayerPro4x4; 06-17-2014 at 10:03 PM.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySlayerPro4x4 View Post
    For the record the other legacy belt sizes are all 4.5 mm width, my pulley mod allows you to retain the strength of the stock 6mm wide rear belt on the 3.3 4-Tec.
    Belt #4862 , update this belt is also 6mm and will work with the 15T pulley, but with my pulley mod you can keep your stock belt, add more belt traction at both pulleys and not have to run it as tight due to that mod. This will surely help anyone running 3 HP engines or doing a brushless conversion.

RC Competitor

Exclamation

Build update, R&D continues! And searching far and wide I just had a shipment of the rarest Traxxas 4-Tec parts come in , Including NIP 4321X, though its for an electric 4-Tec it contains the forward Aluminum posts for steering that were included with the nitro version graphite chassis kit. Later a display chassis showing off all the original Traxxas graphite will be made available for your viewing pleasure, it will remain in showroom condition as a tribute to American engineering and to Traxxas for being way ahead of its time. Though I have seen alot of great new brands with engineering feats advanced beyond your wildest dreams, the whole point of this build is to advance the 4-Tec to a new level of fun with out depending on a company for upgrades, slowly but surely its getting there. A few weeks from now the SS Ultra Carbon chassis prototype will be finished... stay tuned!
    Last edited by JohnnySlayerPro4x4; 07-01-2014 at 08:50 PM.

RC Competitor
    Pictured here 4321x IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by JohnnySlayerPro4x4; 07-03-2014 at 08:41 AM. Reason: unmerge

RC Competitor
    While things are chugging along in R&D, I figured everyone would enjoy the newest edition to my collection, behold an actual 1998 limited edition 4-Tec Pro w/ a Novarossi competition engine, all in mint condition. [IMG][/IMG] , more shots of this peice of Traxxas history next week! Oh and how about a shot of my Slayer Pro project to boot? [IMG][/IMG] , Happy 4th everyone have a safe fun weekend!

RC Competitor
    New steering servo upgrade, Savox Titanium high speed on road servo, may be its overkill but Id say this whole project is lol greatness comes to those who push for it and Im not stopping short of epic my friends anything else would be all too common,
    Slayer/Revo/4tec

RC Competitor
    So I got to work on what I could do to sqeeze optimal drift ackerman out of the stock steering and I came up with a set up that pushes the stock drive shafts to there limit and reduced all steering play at the same time, pics are of roughed out but functional remains of rear uprights hacked up and mounted to the optional front knuckles. I also added spacers anywhere things bound up or just wouldnt fit properly. Comparing it to a stock 4-Tec its around 5 degrees improved, Ill take it! More to come...

Last edited by JohnnySlayerPro4x4; 07-11-2014 at 10:59 PM.
    Slayer/Revo/4tec