RC Racer

Thinking about getting a stampede

Hello guys I've been considering getting a nitro stampede but was wondering what all I need to no about getting into nitro rc. What percent of fuel is best? Or is it a matter of personal choice between 10% or 20%? Also is a temp gun a necessity and when should it be used? Is the stampede a good start out rc? How much trouble is breaking in? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shaunm81 View Post
    Is the stampede a good start out rc?
    The Nitro Stampede is an excellent first nitro vehicle; it's fun, pretty fast, and durable. It's also less complex than some of the larger, faster models.

What percent of fuel is best? Or is it a matter of personal choice between 10% or 20%?
    When it comes to fuel percentage, that all comes down to how much power you want (for the most part). Most people generally recommend running 20%. I run 33% Traxxas Top Fuel and have from day one.

Also is a temp gun a necessity and when should it be used?
    I would definitely recommend getting a proper temperature gauge. Is owning one absolutely necessary? Not really; however, it's a good idea to have one. You'll use your temp gauge to ensure that your engine is running within its proper operating temperature range.

How much trouble is breaking in?
    No trouble at all as long as you follow the instructions.

And on that note, be sure to carefully read the manual. The manual pretty much spells everything out for you as far as what you'll need, the break in procedure, and so on.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Racer
    Thank You for your help . very helpful information I'm just wanting to get something that would be good for starting out. Thanks again I'll pick one up.

RC Qualifier
    The stampede is pretty good first nitro. I bought a basket case one, and rebuilt it for my son. You want to talk about something that just keeps going, wow, he has not been nice to it. I would suggest keeping an extra, or two servo saver on hand. They break pretty easy, but are super easy to change. I would also suggest getting a nitro sport exhaust, when the stock stampede exhaust gets bad, and it will, just convert to the sport one. I just built a stampede for myself, from pretty much scratch. I got a nitro sport, with a broken chassis in a trade, and use everything that I could, ordered the rest to rebuild it as a stampede. That thing is a blast, pulls wheelies all over the place, and handles great. I just modded a jato wheelie bar for it, works great. Anyway, great little truck, easy to work on, and very durable.
    Rusty 2.5R,T-max 2.5 & 3.3,Summit VXL Nitro 4-tec

Quote Originally Posted by shaunm81 View Post
    Thank You for your help . very helpful information I'm just wanting to get something that would be good for starting out. Thanks again I'll pick one up.
    Sounds good! Be sure to post some pictures!
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle