New track in Callahan, FL. (Jacksonville)

Taking the Lem Turner or Old King's Highway North off I-295, You run into Callahan. The road becomes US-301 North. Another 5 minutes up the road you come upon the Fair Grounds on your right. On your left is a fairly new "Callahan Raceway". From I-95 take A1A west to Callahan and turn right on US-301. They have a clay go cart track, mud bogs and swamp pulls. They are in the process of making an RC track. I don't have many details but it's an outside track. If it stays as big as the area they have marked off, it will be a big track. I don't think they're open during the week. They are open on Saturday and I'll drive by in a bit and see if they're open on Sunday. $10 gets you in all day to watch whatever they have going on. Food and drinks available. I'm sure you'll have to pay for that. I believe you can bring your own. The sign says no alcohol or glass. There may be an additional fee to actually use the track. Maybe $5. Like I said, I don't have many details. I talked to the guy manning the smoker. The owner was bulldozing the RC track. I go back on the road tomorrow so maybe someone else can get more details. If not, I'll be home in another 2 to 3 weeks and see if I can find out more then.

OK, They're not open on Sundays but they were there today working on a few things so I spoke to the owner and here's what I got. Two tracks back to back with a platform between them for the drivers to stand. One track with a straight away and whooptydoos and a large corner and an s curve and a table top and all the good stuff. The second track oval. They'll be open one night during the week, he mentioned possibly Thursday, for practice and bashing. $10 to get in. There are no lights so out by dark. Saturday racing. $10 to get in and probably another $10 to enter the race. Trophies to the winners. Drivers sign up and get a bar code sticker for their car. A boom hangs out over the track and reads the bar code giving lap count, lap time and speed. Possible photo finish to eliminate disputes. I didn't ask if the track would be clay or what but they already have a clay go-cart track so maybe clay. Here's the website and facebook:

http://www.callahanspeedway.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Calla...49100158447348

Man there's a lot of tracks in Florida, you guys are lucky!