RC poster

Question EZ-START Battery

I am having trouble with my EZ-Start for my new T-Maxx 2.5. I have tuned the thing to the best of my ability, and when it starts it runs like a dream. From my limited experience with Nitro RC it seems to me that the engine starts immediately with a "FULLY" charged EZ-START battery. I am using 1500 Shark Packs - six cell with a Dynamite Peak Detecting Charger. This means that I can start my T-Maxx ONCE with each battery. THE GLOW PLUG LIGHT NEVER COMES ON....ONLY A QUICK BLIP RIGHT BEFORE IT FIRES UP!!

Does anybody think I need a better battery for my EZ-Start?

Suggestions?

RC Qualifier
    I would check all your wire connections to and on the truck. If none of that helps, then you probably have a bad EZ starter box that is not lighting the glow plug. If you have a nitro buddy that uses an aftermarket glow igniter, I would recommend trying one out. I switched to one with my TRX-15 and I get faster, easier, better starts with it than the onboard ever produced.

RC poster
    Thanks for the advice.

So the battery should not matter?

RC Racer
    I dont have a peak charger so i have to just go off of time. However i have the 1500 but it is not the shark. How long should i leave it to charge??? As usually i have just opened the box and threw out the instructions.
    Fill it, Start it then RIP IT!

RC Qualifier
    What charger do u have greatlake?

RC Racer
    Just a plan old plug in charger. I dont have the name for it.
    Fill it, Start it then RIP IT!

RC Racer
    If you look at the data plate on the charger, it will tell you the output current. For simplicity's sake, let's say it's 500mA. Assuming the battery is 100% efficient at charging, that means it would take 3 hours to charge a 1500mAh battery (1500mAh / 500mA = 3h). However, because NiCds are by no means efficient at charging, let's assume it would take 1.5x the charge time, so (1500mAh / 500mA) * 1.5x = 4.5h. So, for a 500mA charger, there's your answer!

The 1.5x is only a general value. Factors such as temperature, cell age, and cell design can affect this value. To know for sure, stop charging when the packs get mildly warm.
    My Maxx has two settings:
    Not Running and WOT!!!

RC poster
    I am sorry, but does this have anything to do with my initial question?

Does the battery mAH matter when using the EZ-START system?

Have people found batteries that work better than others?

Thanks.

RC Racer
    Sorry, we probably got off on a tangent....

No, it should not matter what you use.

Correct me if I am wrong, but you said that your glow plug light never comes on and you only hear a short blip from the starter motor, right?

That sounds like you might have a hydro-locked engine. Often when the starter motor stalls the glow-plug LED will go out because of the high current demand of the starter motor, especially with a partially discharged or lower-end battery. This does not signify a problem, other than the fact that something is stalling the starter motor.

I am using DuraTraxx Shark 1500mAh packs with a DuraTraxx IntelliPeak pulse charger with great results. I get numerous starts out of a battery pack before I must recharge it. Any peak or even a trickle charger, if used properly, should work just fine.
    Last edited by JSWrightOC; 01-22-2003 at 03:14 PM.
    My Maxx has two settings:
    Not Running and WOT!!!