Operating the DTS-1 with your TQi Transmitter and the Traxxas Link App
This article explains how to electronically Bind the DTS-1 Drag Timing System to the TQi transmitter for operation with an iPhone or iPod touch and the Traxxas Link App. The TQi Docking Base and the Traxxas Link App (available now) are required. If you have already downloaded Traxxas Link, be sure to update your app to the latest version.
Understanding Binding and Linking
To operate the DTS-1 with your TQi transmitter and Traxxas Link, you will need to electronically Bind the transmitter to the DTS-1 system. Once bound, the transmitter and DTS-1 consoles will automatically Link to communicate with each other when powered on. Here's what these terms mean:
BIND: When you bind a device (a vehicle or the DTS-1) to the TQi transmitter, the transmitter stores that device in its memory so it may later identify the device and Link to it. Binding is required the first time you set up the DTS-1 system. Once bound, the transmitter will automatically Link to the DTS-1 each time you power-up your transmitter and the DTS-1 together.
LINK: Each time you power up your TQi transmitter, it will search for devices it has been previously bound to. When you power-on a device that you have previously bound to your TQi transmitter, the transmitter will recognize the device and automatically Link to it. This only takes a moment. Once Linked, the device is ready to be controlled using the TQi transmitter and Traxxas Link App.
Before You Begin
If you plan to operate the DTS-1 using the same transmitter you will be using to operate a vehicle, bind the TQi transmitter to the vehicle before you set up your DTS-1 system. If you've already been driving your vehicle with the TQi transmitter, you're all set—the vehicle has been bound to the transmitter. If you need to bind your vehicle to the transmitter, click here learn how.
All the steps below should be performed with your iOS device installed in the transmitter, with the Traxxas Link application running.
STEP 1: Bind the TQi transmitter to
the DTS-1 Starting Line console.
2. Hold the SET button on the Start Line console as you switch it on. Release the SET button. The console is now in Bind mode. Note: the Starting Line console's buttons are labeled on the Sun Shade. Install the Sun Shade now if you have not already done so.
3. The console and TQi transmitter will bind automatically.
4. If prompted, update firmware.
5. Power-off the transmitter and console when the update is complete.
STEP 2: Link the DTS-1 Start Line and Finish Line consoles
2. When the consoles are linked, the DTS-1's tree will flash its green LEDs once every few seconds.
Note: if the DTS-1 consoles do not link, re-bind them by holding SET on the Start Console as you switch it on, then holding SET on the finish line console as you turn it on.
STEP 3: Link the TQi to the DTS-1
1. Power-on the TQi
2. Power-on the Starting Line console. Since they have been previously bound, the transmitter and DTS-1 should link automatically, and the DTS-1 icon will glow green in the upper right corner od the Traxxas Link screen.
3. Next, link the Finish Line Console to the Starting Line Console. Hold the SET button on the Starting Line line console for about two seconds, until it beeps twice. Release the SET button.
4. The Starting Line console's green LEDs will blink slowly, indicating it is linked to the Finish Line console and ready for racing. The Finish Line console's speed trap/system ready LED will also flash slowly, indicating it is linked and ready to race.
Operating the DTS-1 and your vehicle
together with a single TQi transmitter
The TQi transmitter can be linked to the DTS-1 and a model at the same time, so you can operate the DTS-1 and race a vehicle with the DTS-1 using one transmitter. If you have not already bound the TQi to your model and the DTS-1, do so now. This will allow the model and DTS-1 to link to the TQi at the same time. It does not matter if you link the vehicle first, or the DTS-1 first. Follow these steps:
1. Power-on the TQi transmitter and launch the Traxxas Link application.
2. Power-on your model, or the Starting Line console.
3. The transmitter and model or console will link automatically. The DTS-1 icon or Veh icon will show green in the Traxxas Link status bar, depending on what you've linked to.
4. At the Traxxas Link home screen, touch the Garage icon.
5. Touch the Connect icon to access the Connect screen
7. Touch Set TQi Transmitter to Link mode. The key will turn blue, indicating the TQi is in Link mode.
8. Power-on the second device you wish to link to. It will link to the transmitter automatically.
The Connect screen may also be used to bind two devices to one TQi transmitter. Follow the instructions above using the Set TQI Transmitter to Bind mode key instead of the Set TQI Transmitter to Link mode key.
When you Bind the TQi transmitter to the DTS-1 console, the Traxxas Link App may ask you to update firmware. Follow the prompts to complete the firmware updates. The App will indicate the progress of each update as it proceeds.
If you need help or have questions about operating your DTS-1 or any Traxxas product, contact Customer Support at 888-TRAXXAS or email email@example.com.