Operating the DTS-1 with your TQi Transmitter and the Traxxas Link App
This article explains how to electronically Bind the DTS-1 Drag Timing System to the TQi transmitter for operation with an iPhone or iPod touch and the Traxxas Link App. The TQi Docking Base and the Traxxas Link App (available now) are required. If you have already downloaded Traxxas Link, be sure to update your app to the latest version.
Understanding Binding and Linking
To operate the DTS-1 with your TQi transmitter and Traxxas Link, you will need to electronically Bind the transmitter to the DTS-1 system. Once bound, the transmitter and DTS-1 consoles will automatically Link to communicate with each other when powered on. Here's what these terms mean:
BIND: When you bind a device (a vehicle or the DTS-1) to the TQi transmitter, the transmitter stores that device in its memory so it may later identify the device and Link to it. Binding is required the first time you set up the DTS-1 system. Once bound, the transmitter will automatically Link to the DTS-1 each time you power up your transmitter and the DTS-1 together.
LINK: Each time you power up your TQi transmitter, it will search for devices it has been previously bound to. When you power on a device that you have previously bound to your TQi transmitter, the transmitter will recognize the device and automatically Link to it. This only takes a moment. Once Linked, the device is ready to be controlled using the TQi transmitter and Traxxas Link App.
Before You Begin
If you plan to operate the DTS-1 using the same transmitter you will be using to operate a vehicle, bind the TQi transmitter to the vehicle before you set up your DTS-1 system. If you've already been driving your vehicle with the TQi transmitter, you're all set—the vehicle has been bound to the transmitter. If you need to bind your vehicle to the transmitter, click here to learn how.
All the steps below should be performed with your iOS device installed in the transmitter, with the Traxxas Link application running.
STEP 1: Bind the TQi transmitter to
the DTS-1 Starting Line console
2. Hold the SET button on the Finish Line console as you switch it on. Release the SET button. The console is now in Bind mode.
3. Allow the console and TQi transmitter to bind automatically.
4. If prompted, update firmware. See "Updating Firmware" below for more information.
5. Power off the transmitter and console when the update is complete.
6. Repeat Steps 1–5 for the Starting Line console. Note: the Starting Line console's buttons are labeled on the Sun Shade. Install the Sun Shade now if you have not already done so.
STEP 2: Bind the Starting Line Console to the Finish Line console
1. Hold the SET button on the Starting Line console as you switch it on. Release the SET button.
2. Hold the SET button on the Finish Line console as you switch it on. Release the SET button.
3. Allow the consoles to automatically link.
4. Power off the consoles and the transmitter.
STEP 3: Link the DTS-1 Starting Line and Finish Line consoles
2. Power on the Finish Line console. The two consoles will link automatically. NOTE: The consoles must be switched on within ten seconds of each other or the link mode will time out.
3. When the consoles are linked properly, the green LEDs on the DTS-1 Starting Line console will flash slowly.
STEP 4: Link the TQi to the DTS-1
1. Switch on the TQi transmitter and launch the Traxxas Link application.
2. Switch on the Starting Line console. Since they have been previously bound, the transmitter and DTS-1 should link automatically, and the DTS-1 icon will glow green in the upper right corner of the Traxxas Link screen.
Operating the DTS-1 and your vehicle
together with a single TQi transmitter
The TQi transmitter can be linked to the DTS-1 and a model at the same time, so you can operate the DTS-1 and race a vehicle with the DTS-1 using one transmitter. If you have not already bound the TQi to your model and the DTS-1, do so now. This will allow the model and DTS-1 to link to the TQi at the same time. It does not matter if you link the vehicle first, or the DTS-1 first. Follow these steps:
1. Power on the TQi transmitter and launch the Traxxas Link application.
2. Power on either your model or the Starting Line console.
3. The transmitter and model or console will link automatically. The DTS-1 icon or Veh icon will show green in the Traxxas Link status bar, depending on what you've linked to.
4. At the Traxxas Link home screen, touch the Garage icon.
5. Touch the Connect icon to access the Connect screen.
7. Touch Set TQi Transmitter to Link mode. The key will turn blue, indicating the TQi is in Link mode.
8. Power on the second device you wish to link to. It will link to the transmitter automatically.
The Connect screen may also be used to bind two devices to one TQi transmitter. Follow the instructions above using the Set TQi Transmitter to Bind mode key instead of the Set TQi Transmitter to Link mode key.
When you Bind the TQi transmitter to the DTS-1 console, the Traxxas Link App may ask you to update firmware. Follow the prompts to complete the firmware updates. The App will indicate the progress of each update as it proceeds. Once the update has completed successfully, touch the Leave Update Screen key, and then power off the transmitter and device.
If you need help or have questions about operating your DTS-1 or any Traxxas product, contact Customer Support at 1-888-TRAXXAS or email firstname.lastname@example.org.