RC Champion

5451r Driveshafts and RPM Extended A Arms fitment issue???

After breaking 11 e revo plastic shafts I ordered some 5451r revo shafts, I installed them and with the extended rpm a arms and axle carriers mounted to the rear set of holes the shafts pop apart at the diff end, the shafts aren't long enough...has anyone used these shafts? how did you make them work? there are 2 sets of mounting holes for the axle carriers, if I move the axle carriers to the front set of mounting holes on the a arms the shafts almost pop apart but they don't, every now and again they make a weird clicking sound?? and also now that the wheelbase is shorter it wheelies way too much and turns corners a lot wider... any input is helpful thanks

These are revo shafts (steel cvd)?

Wont work on a summit mainly due to the wider differential housing ( on only one side) and the increased suspension flexibility.

also I think the cvd were designed before the extended rear A arms existed.

you can try buying the traxxas extended differential steel cvd drive cup. They are about 3mm longer than the normal steel drive cup. It may help, but when I tried I still could not find a solid solution.

Another thing I tried was different length aftermarket steel drive shafts from other brands (hpi, losi) to accomodate the long/short side. But the trial and error can get expensive.$$$

Last you can fiddle with the two large screws that attach the steering knucles to the A arms. This will accomodate for a longer or shorter axle length.

just suggestions
    Last edited by noir 522; 08-29-2014 at 09:28 AM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Champion
    thanks for the suggestions here, yes the steel cvds, I should also say ive swapped out the summit diffs for e revo diffs so they fit both sides the same.... I turned in the screws a bit on the axle carriers and it made a little difference, might be enough to run it I think... I will also order the extended cups in hopes that I can again use the rear mountin holes on the a arms, the rpm a arms say e revo/summit so they should work on the front and rear holes imo. thanks for the suggestions

also did you find any shafts from others rigs to fit?

Naw , I could not find a solution (tried other shorter/longer cvds and the extended drive cups) but I kept the summit lopsided diffs. If you have the erevo diff set up than you really should not be experiencing these issues. My only guess would be the long travel levers are giving you more suspension travel than a stock erevo (and its cvds) where designed for. Add that along with the extended rear arms.......
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Champion
    hmmm....your right if I push the suspension down to about e revo height the shafts sit in the cups about halfway. what I did was installed the axle carriers to the front set of holes and turned in the adjustment screws as far as I could, the shaft sits about 1/8 in the cup now, once the rain stops ill go test it and see what happens, ide really like to keep my suspension height and extended wheel base if I can so any other ideas would help....I also ordered the extended cups, see if they might work.

RC Champion
    there are also 3 mounting holes on the a arms for the pushrods, I used the outer holes and it lowered a bit and the shafts now sit about halfway inside the drive cups, in hopes that the extended drive cups will allow me to raise it up again.