RC poster

Talking Newbie over here!

Hello guys! My E-Revo has just arrived today and I have a few questions. I've had a Savage XS for over a year now, but this is mind-blowing for me.

1. I've read Traxxas quick start manual and it says that the esc doesn't need a calibration, but in the castle creations manual it says to do so. Should I do one? I'm saying that because I started playing with it on included ni-mh packs and after 10 mins it stopped. The voltage on traxxas link said that the batts were having 13 V. I knew that ni-mh are not having probs to go to 0V or isn't that true?

2. I've read all threads about what lipo to buy, but I still don't know what to buy. I cannot purchase spc or smc because I didn't find them anywhere on ebay or another EU shop. If I buy them on their site I'll pay 300-400$ for taxes and postage and this is too expensive. I only found the traxxas 11.1v 5000mah 25c pack. Is that ok? Is 6s too powerful for e-revo or will I get used to power? Also will I break many things with 6s? Are there any diff probs or so?

3. Are there any must-have upgrades? Are there any weak points on it?

Thanks in advance

Scott

RC Racer
    You could buy new parts as you brake parts, but rpm arm, t bone skids are good upgrades, there are others good upgrades better driveshafts the summit are good.

Start with 4 s and get used to it before 6s because it is stupid fast on 6s, and you will brake more parts.

Batteries could be from h o b b y k i n g

RC Qualifier
    Look for how to shim the diffs or do the losi lst2 upgrade. Stick with 4s for a while. Other wise you will need a lot more parts soon. Traxxas make good packs but expensive. No the NiMH do not go to 0 they hold a minimum voltage, when the ESC detects a to low of a voltage it will shut down.

I use RPM arms, summit shafts, Traxxas steel centers, proline badlands, 54tooth spur 20tooth pinion, 100k diff fluid, hpp hubs, hpp motor mounts, 60wt shock oil, variable damping kit, silver springs front, blue rear and tekno front sway bar , traxxas aluminium push rods and toe links!

These upgrades allow me to put a hurtin on my erbe and keep going if if do break something it is generally minor like rod ends and shock ends.
    Last edited by JJ1224; 08-26-2014 at 04:28 PM.
    ERBE,MERV, Original T-maxx

you need to turn the LVC off to run NIMH, and with Lipo's you need to set the LVC to 3.4v per cell.

AOD's Links Revo

Erevo 101:
    EREVO FAQ

Lipo, LVC, Brushless & Battery charger/charging guides & purchasing links:
    TUTORIALS

Refer to this to setup the Mamba Monster ( MMM ) esc for maximum performance:
    CASTLE LINK GUIDE

Refer to this to find parts, upgrades, batts & chargers etc:
    USEFUL LINKS

And direct from Castle Creations ( the esc manufacturers ):
    MMM FAQ

Driver's ED Manual

LED warning light meanings
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Qualifier
    If you have just the NiMH packs then 87 GN is right, you need to turn off LVC. Its stupid that it ships with that enabled and comes with NiMH packs. They can't take the extra minute or 2 to change it for the models with NiMH? A friend of mine bought the ERBE a couple months ago and had the same problem, dumbest thing I've ever seen.
    2x 2wd Slash|Slash 4x4 PE|MM E-Revo|Grave Digger

RC poster
    Thanks for the feedback guys! I was thinking to buy 6s packs and to limit the power on the tqi because I don't want to buy 4 packs. The truck was already 1k $ here in my country ( I have big taxes ). Also it may sound stupid gor you but what are that numbers on shock oil? What does 60wt or 40 wt means? The bigger the number the softer it is? Also do I need castle link usb to set the lvc?

Thanks a lot for the help

Scott

Also do I need castle link usb to set the lvc?
    yes follow the link above CASTLE LINK GUIDE

IDB (I do believe) Stock shock wt is 30wt. The higher the number the thicker the oil wt.

Ride Height & Suspension Set~Up:
    My Bash set up:
    P2 Rockers 80 wt Shock Fluid, Blue Rear Silver Front, inner hole, and Traxxas sway bars.
    I set the shock preload by pushing the chassis to the ground.
    If the springs fully compress, back off the preload, if not fully compress increase the preload..
    Will also give you a little more ride height..
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC poster
    Thanks for replying, I really appreciate it.

Scott

RC Enthusiast
    Hello.

Trust me if you are using nimh and run it on 4s with the 54t gear that is include you will get a real suprice!
    Mutch torque and it drive up to 65km/40mph on just a few seconds and it take wheelies.
    6s is stupid and it is easy to break something or hit a wall.

This is a monster truck, a good basher, all you need is 4s and 54t gear, it give you more than enough speed to bash and some speed runs.
    Off course you could use 6s but that is not easy. You will need to repair it almost after every run.
    Most off the time you must stop driving it because your drive shaft or diff is broken.

This truck is bulletproof on 4s. I have not break anything on mine after about 10-15 run. 6s will only give you trouble, maby you could run on 5s, both battery must have the same mh and c rating.

Traxxas lipo is very good, it last long and are perfect balanced every time!

Good luck and have fun

Are you from Norway or something since you must pay so mutch taxes?
    Last edited by Hotwheel85; 08-27-2014 at 01:39 PM.

RC poster
    Hello Hotwheel, thanks a lot for reply. No, I'm from Romania and there are only 3-4 shops/dealers in the country and all of them have big prices. If I bought the car from the Traxxas dealer, I would have paid 1100$. The 5000mah 3s trx lipo is 150$ here vs 60$ in us! Almost three times more expensive!

Thanks again for the feedback, I think I'll stick with 4s for a while.

Scott

RC Enthusiast
    Hello

Yes get yourself a lipo and mount the 54tgear, it is easy to change the gear. But if you are new to this thing just ask here fore help.
    The slipper clutch should be breaked in, when you get lipo i think it would scream a lot, so tighten the slipper clutch if it scream more than 2 seconds when you give full trottle, mine just scream for about 1 second after i have tight it many times, wait to the clutch is cold and only tight 1/4 on each time. It last longer if it not scream at all but you would save the driveline a bit

I have also another tip for you if it wobble on the road.
    Balance the wheels! balancing is worth the time.
    Just search on youtube on how you do this and its a lot of video out there.
    You not need a tool for this, just unscrew the driveshaft so only the part that is mounted to the 17mm hex is on the truck so the wheel spinning free.
    I did this yesterday and it works fine!
    Last edited by Hotwheel85; 08-28-2014 at 09:44 AM.

RC poster
    Thank you for the tips, I'll search that on youtube!

Scott

RC poster
    Hello guys! I decided to use my 2 2s 90c Absima lipos from my savage xs and I bought some adapters. They came yesterday and I must say that the truck is a blast! Even with the batts on storage mode and with the stock gear, the truck was doing wheelies on grass. Now I have a big problem. This morning I decided to adjust the clutch ( I noticed that the clutch was slipping a lot if I was applying full throttle) and also to put the 54t spur gear. When I finished, I could hear a strange noise coming for the gear if I was pushing the revo forward, as the spur gear was touching the plastic cover or as the clutch was slipping( I'm not sure which one, I can do a video if you guys can watch it) . And after 10-15 cm, the car couldn't go forward anymore, as something was blocking the spur and pinion gear rotating. If I fully compress the clutch, the car won't go forward. If I loose the clutch (maybe 6-7 turns from fully compressed), the car will go for a short distance and then the clutch will slip and the car will stop moving. I hope you guys will understand what I mean, I'm sorry for my grammar mistakes. I mention again that the 54t is installed. If someone could help a noob like me, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks in advance,
    Scott

RC Enthusiast
    Hello, just wait to you try this beast with 54 gear, it would easy take wheelie on the road and when the clutch is breaking in and adjusted you will get a real punch out of your car!

You could take out the slipper and dissamble it, take it together again and mount it to the transmittion, if that not help post out a video with the problem, check every screw on the gear and that everything looks right, use your manual to see how it should be mounted together

RC Champion
    As Hothwell and 87 GN often mentions, wwith the revo, do not forget to break in properly the clutch before you use the potential power of the truck. Proper break in of the clutch is as crucial in its durability, handling etc.
    Live life to the fullest

RC poster
    Thanks for the replies! Maybe I didn't break in properly the clutch? This the first video when the spur is not in contact with the pinion: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6zNm1YG73mE
    This is the second: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AnyuPwpo62c

Thanks in advance,
    Scott

RC poster
    I solved the problem, it turned out to be the spur gear which was mounted wrong by me.

Thanks for all support,
    Scott