RC Enthusiast

what motor and esc do i use????

I have been building rc monster trucks from scratch lately and i need help with what motor and esc i should be using. I built an MT4, Savage flux xl, and the erbe. i used the motor and esc from the savage to complete my erbe. (becasue i was excited to try it out) But now the savage is empty. So i watch the bidding on ebay for the erbe motor and esc so i can put back my savage. (i dont like taking away from other vehicles) anyways, i noticed as i was watching the bidding on ebay that the motor and esc for the flux was a little cheaper than the traxxas one. so should i just leave the erbe with the hpi stuff in it and by another hpi motor and esc for the empty savage? or do i buy the correct one for the erbe? (the mmxl) I know that the are pretty much the same and made by castle, but is the mm xl that much better? only asking because like i said......the hpi 2200 tork and esc is cheaper than the 2200kv and mmxl esc on the bay. What would you use or do?

RC Qualifier
    I believe they are all the same between the three brands Castle, HPI and Traxxas just rebranded MM2'S. Each company will have different colors and designs even cases but essentially the same.
    Erbe, Merv Vxl, Rusty Vxl.

RC Champion
    I believe HPI's is still a rebranded MM1, unless they've recently updated it. Traxxas' MXL-6s is definitely a MM2.

RC Champion
    Check out DollarHobbyz.com for deals on the MXL-6S, Flux Tork 2200kv motor, and the Traxxas 2200kv motor. And for some reason if you look under Emaxx Brushless the MXL-6S is $159 and the motor is $103, and under ERBE the MXL-6S is $167 and the motor is $106. And the Flux Tork is $86-89. I don't know why some items are cheaper under different models. The Flux Tork might constrict gearing because of the square fins on the motor. Someone on this Forum told me he had to Dremel some of them off to get the ESC Bracket to fit.
    Slash MT, 1/10 Summit.

RC Enthusiast
    so do you see an issue using the flux tork/blurr on the erbe? (i know everything fits) i mean this as far as speed and performance goes? or is the mxl-6s that much better?

They are all the same just rebranded. All are made by Castle Creations. The only differences is the can on the motor (which can limit some gearing) and the MM2 or MXL6 are water resistant, same ESC tho.
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Champion
    Both system perform the same since they are the same just rebranded different. I run hpi motor on my erebo and it works fine.

RC Enthusiast
    thats what i was looking for guys thanks........NFS, are you using the mmxl2-6s with the hpi motor? or are you using the blurr setup? just wondering if you can mix and match between the two

RC Qualifier
    Hpi has also changed to MMM v2 (the waterproof one) now. You can mix and match as you like, they all work with each other

Quote Originally Posted by Manne View Post
    Hpi has also changed to MMM v2 (the waterproof one) now. You can mix and match as you like, they all work with each other
    HPI ESCs historically had the firmware locked.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =