RC poster

Sand/ Paddle tires for E-revo/ get all 4 or only rears?

So I will be making a trip to the sand dunes for a ATV trip with some friends. I want to take my Mamba E-revo. I want to purchase sand tires. but wanted to know should I just run paddle tires on the rear or run paddle tires on all 4 four corners? I will be running 6s. will be hitting up a ton of big steep hills. thanks for any info. never had a R/C on sand.

RC Qualifier
    I'd do all 4 help with steering

RC poster
    Ok thanks thats what I was told just wanted to make sure. It makes since with a 4WD vehicle. the paddles would help the front end being pulled through the turn.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnss View Post
    So I will be making a trip to the sand dunes for a ATV trip with some friends. I want to take my Mamba E-revo. I want to purchase sand tires. but wanted to know should I just run paddle tires on the rear or run paddle tires on all 4 four corners? I will be running 6s. will be hitting up a ton of big steep hills. thanks for any info. never had a R/C on sand.
    I bought 4 proline slingshots and mounted them a week before our trip to the beach for a week. I was thinking i needed them. Took my e-revo on the beach and they worked as expected. However when i mounted my big joe II's back on i was shocked that they actually did just as well in the sand. In fact i was able to go much faster with the big joes. I never had any issues getting stuck or anything. I ended up just using the bog joes the rest of the week because the slingshots were not necessary. Anyways i was quite surprised.

RC poster
    So do you think I should just run the factory tires that came on the truck? the paddle tires are $90.00 instock at my local hobby shop. or do you thing the stockers will do just fine? the truck wont see much sand other than maybe 2-3 times are year max.

RC Racer
    go with the rear paddles only.The front tires will be in the air most of the time.Paddle tires are heavy 4 paddles will suck up power and make higher motor temps.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdDGLMqKhhA
    Last edited by slowrider998; 08-22-2014 at 07:59 AM.

I would keep the Talon's or get a set of Joes II on Geode rims. Like the Shockwave too.....
    Tape what ever you get specially on 6s

Taping Tires
    post #30
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post4908845
    &
    post #120
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post5177829
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Enthusiast
    I had mine at the beach with stock tires. If you have harder packed sand, it does fine, but in the deep loose stuff, I think paddles would have helped.

RC poster
    Ok thanks guys. Ill have to see. Im sure. it will get aroud on stock tires. I just dont want to go and find out they wont work. we are travling 5 hours from home. it is a dry softer sand. but the e-revo has some weigh so that might help ait.

RC Enthusiast
    Buy the paddles. Leave them in the package, open them if you need them, return them if you don't.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by shawnss View Post
    So do you think I should just run the factory tires that came on the truck? the paddle tires are $90.00 instock at my local hobby shop. or do you thing the stockers will do just fine? the truck wont see much sand other than maybe 2-3 times are year max.
    The stock tires are not good for sand, the first thing I did when I got my was get better tires. Made a significant difference in road and off road. The first tires 8 bought were proline trencher x and they are amazing off road. It was night and day compared to the stock tires. They are a little on the heavy side so I bought the big Joe 2's which are significantly lighter than the trencher x's but aren't as good as the trenchers but still very good. I would suggest trenchers or big Joe 2's for sand and if you wanted to just get 2 paddle tires for the rear just in case, but my experience is that paddle tires are not necessary for sand on the erevo. My stampede on the other hand did require paddle tires to get through the soft sand and not having it get stuck when going slow.

RC Competitor
    It completely depends on the sand. I live on the beach. We have sand for endless miles. The beach sand is way different than the pit sand. The beach sand changes dramatically depending on the time of year and and how dry or hot it has been. When I'm running in the cooler months I would say I could get away with stock tires but paddles are always better. Paddles will never hurt you in the sand trust me. That's why every sand atv or sand rail has them mounted. And here again has anyone ever seen a sand rail or atv with paddles up front ??? NO , Rear only boys, sand slicks up front paddles in the rear. So because the stockers have so little tread they work great for the front. Our beach sand gets so dry and soft in the summer that even with 6S my revo won't go 5 feet before it gets stuck without my paddles on. Paddles are an absolute must for me. Night and day. The idea is to have the rig be light and get up on plane like a boat and fly across the top of the sand, not to be dug in and laboring. Once I get up on plane she will wheelie all day long. I have both big joes and trenchers and yes if you already own them they are better than stockers but they are both to heavy and paddles are the way to go hands down. I remove my front drive shaft and run rear wheel drive. Here again how many sand rails are four wheel drive. None. Way less sand in the electronics and way better handling. The only thing the front tires do is steer the car. One last thing, compressed air is the only way to clean up after a good sand day be it dry or wet or whatever.

Here's a pic of mine in the winter when the sand is very hard like almost lie a parking lot. What a blast!

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Mapleman1; 08-23-2014 at 06:18 AM.

RC poster
    Thanks for the info. I will say the main reason you dont see sand rail or Atvs is because they are only rear wheels drive. the formula f1 hill climb trucks run paddles on all 4 wheels. so thats why I was wondering if I need all 4 on each corner. most of my driving will be up hills. not a ton of flat ground where I'm going. its pretty soft dry sand.
    http://youtu.be/MhjkDEvV3OM

RC Competitor
    This is true, they use em on all four on hill climbs but you don't see it many other places. Sand rails are built for sand and sand only and are rear wheal drive on purpose. They will wheelie up some good steep hills in Glamis and other good dunes. Buy all four and bring em with ya like gamsche said. Give her a test and if you happy with two return the other two when you get home. Try all four it can't hurt. I like the front not spinning so the sand in the rims doesn't make the rig vibrate and shimmy. Trying both four and rear wheel I've found that I like two wheel better myself but you may like four.

RC poster
    Yeah I get what your say. I might do that. only thing Im think is with the front paddles on it might work the motor pretty good and get a bit warm. will see. Ill be going to St. Anthony's sand dunes which have a lot of hills. all the place we will actually hang out at when not riding will be the drag hills. which are both a bit steep. other than that we will be duning a lot

RC Competitor
    I also find that 4S is a bit weak for the dunes. I like 5 or 6S for sure especially for the hills your talking about. Go with all four it certainly can't hurt. Just keep an eye on your temps as you already know.

RC poster
    Yeah I already run 6s. its hard to go back to 4s thats for sure. I will try it with both. Ill let you guys know. I just had to get a new ESC in it so im pumped to actually get to drive it again. its been down for a month or so.

RC Enthusiast
    There is 2 type of paddles 1) withe one paddle across the tier. 2) the other have staggered paddles like half on one side and after few degrees the other half on the other side.
    I don't know what each is fore but I tout I will mention it, maybe some one can explain it.