RC poster

NiMH battery queston

Hello! So I bought a Raptor on 6/29 from the Traxxas display at the NHRA races and just this week one of the 3000MAH battery packs is acting up. After I fully charge it if I don't put it in the truck and run it right away it discharges. Like 15 minutes of sitting on the counter and the truck runs at what seems like 1/2 power. If I put it in the truck immediately and run it, it's fine, but still discharges faster than the other pack I have (or at least it seems too).

After the run today (99% pavement) when I took it out it was HOT! I don't mean warn, I mean can barely touch it hot, this has not happened in the past. Particularly the last cell that sits sideways. It's hot enough it appears to be melting the plastic wrap. I get that the packs will get warm\hot, but to the point where you can't touch it for more than a couple seconds?

This can't be normal right? No other visible damage to the pack. Is this something that is covered under the 30 day electronics warranty? I'm not overly concerned about getting a free replacement since one of the packs came free with the quick charger I purchased there also.

Here's what the pack looks like after today's run.

Otherwise I love the truck and am pretty sure I have every mother\wife in the neighborhood mad at me now since I know what's going to be on every kid\husband's Christmas list this year!

Yeah, there is something wrong with that pack. I am betting one of the cells has died, and the others are having to work a lot harder to maintain voltage.

When you first ran that pack, did you run it until it dumped, or did you run it until the truck would no longer move?
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Yeah, there is something wrong with that pack. I am betting one of the cells has died, and the others are having to work a lot harder to maintain voltage.

When you first ran that pack, did you run it until it dumped, or did you run it until the truck would no longer move?
    Thanks! Just until it dumped, I believe. I try to run them down far enough where I can get the truck back up to the house, with a little go left, but it's working to get there. I hadn't seen anything saying to run them until the truck wouldn't move, i may have missed it somewhere.

I'm starting to run them clear down now.

I sent an email to support just to see what they say also.

Out of curiosity, I should be able to go to the 3300 MAH pack or higher without issue, as long as I stay in with an 8.4v pack correct? Or can I also go up 9.2v(??) or whatever the 5xl ESC is capable of handling without swapping out my motor.

Sorry if that's a dumb question, still reading and learning about all the different accepatble battery\motor\ESC combinations out there. Never had on r/c car with so many options and upgrades!
    Last edited by D.Acker; 07-13-2014 at 05:30 PM.
    Thanks,

Dave

RC Champion
    The higher capacity packs should fit right in. You might not want to put a 9.2v battery in though. Only run them until you notice the power dropping.
    1:16 Slash VXL
    Stampede 4x4 3800kv
    Rustler VXL

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimdog View Post
    The higher capacity packs should fit right in. You might not want to put a 9.2v battery in though. Only run them until you notice the power dropping.
    Thank you!
    Thanks,

Dave

RC poster
    One more question about the #2923 battery packs, I have two. What series are these considered? I believe after looking at the batteries under the product page it would be a 3 series. However, it also doesn't appear these are current model battery packs (replaced with 2940 perhaps) so I can't find a definitive answer.
    Thanks,

Dave