Thread: Post-Storage

RC poster

Talking Post-Storage

Hi guys, first post... hope this is not in a FAQ somewhere... if so please just point me there... but I do have a couple of newb questions about the LiPo battery:

After half charging a battery and keeping it cool for a few weeks... do you first put it back on a charger or go ahead and fly it as is to run it down and then charge it up again?

Which is the smartest way to extend the live of the batteries?

BTW I'm suddenly in love with my new hobby... flying quads... and I've already experienced several Hubsan X4s (with and without camera)... a new LaTrax Alias (apparently with the new more reliable motors) and a Syma X5C.
    I've quickly become addicted to these little guys and am slowing working towards my goal of owning a high performance camera platform.

There's so much to learn in these forums... I'm really glad to now be part of the community (and not just a lurker !

RC Qualifier
    you can run a lipo at any time ( during its charged state ) without hurting it. Full, half dead, doesnt care.

ALWAYS balance charge ALWAYS store them at storage voltage. Thats how to keep em happy the longest.

RC Qualifier
    it would make more sense to fully charge it before you use it, but you can run it from the storage voltage if you wanted to.

RC Champion
    When you say after keeping it cool for a few weeks. Don't charge or run a battery when it's cold, let it warm to ambient temps.
    Guide books aren't part of the packaging.

RC poster
    Thanks, guys.
    The input is much appreciated!

RC Champion
    Just for my own curious needs. Why would you want to use the battery in a stored state (half a charge)?