RC poster

Another 3906 is Born

My first step into the hobby was back in 2002 with an E-Maxx 3906 with the narrow arms and Novak ESC. I spent most of my time and what little money a middle schooler had on the truck. When I made it to high school the E-Maxx took a back seat to life, 1:1 trucks and everything else. I recently caught the bug again and decided to build a 3906 truck the way I wanted to build my original. I've started to gather parts from E-bay, A-main, Tower and my LHS.

I picked up some Pro-Line parts from when the Maxx Trucks were in the spot light of RC. It's there Maxx Suspension Kit, Steering kit with built in servo saver, and front and rear bumpers. I bought the suspension kit to widen my original truck.

Also from Ebay I picked up some 3.3 spec drive line parts. The biggest down fall to my original truck was the weak driveshafts and I don't really care for the metal CVDs.

The next set of parts I acquired were from Hardcore Racing. Parts include aluminum bulks and chassis braces and titanium skids and hinge pins.

I'll keep this thread updated as I gather more parts and start assembly. I hope y'all enjoy the build and can provide help when I need it.
    E-maxx 3906

RC poster
    Nice and good luck with the build! Im currently working on working on converting my narrow 3906 into an FLM / RPM 3908.

RC Racer
    Looks nice

Nice, mind sharing where you got the HCR bulks from?
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildman4910 View Post
    Nice, mind sharing where you got the HCR bulks from?
    Found them on Ebay along with everything else.

Also decided to start putting some parts together.

set screw as a secondary retainer for hinge pins

Redoing diffs with 100k weight oil.

And all together waiting on more parts.

Last edited by Fordboy; 07-06-2014 at 10:37 PM.

That's cool, thank you for the reply, I picked up a Blue HCR set of bulks, but need another set so I was hoping you had LHS that still had some.
    The HCR parts are some of the best that were/are made.

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

I'm looking forward to watching this build! You don't see too many Pro-Line suspension kits being installed these days, and I'm sure you'll like what the kit does for the truck's handling; it did wonders for mine.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC poster
    More parts showed up today, so more assembly.

Hardcore Titanium bulk braces, Pro-Line bumpers with stock mounts, and Tony's Screws holding everything together.

Pro-Line steering mounted to HCR Ti skid

Skids mounted to front and rear ends. I really like how the skids cover the bumpers.

Trans fitted with the Traxxas lightweight, teflon-coated input shaft, idler shafts, and output shaft, OTB idler gears. Also installed the Traxxas option motor mount plate and battery hold downs I got for $10 each of eBay.

Everything together so far. Added a set of Traxxas steel center CVDs and HCR chassis braces with Ti center skid.

The Pro-Line turnbuckles are too short and aren't going to work. I assume the 3.3 spec carriers are the cause, so I need to pick up new style Maxx turnbuckles. Probably going with stock steel units for that. I also plan to pick up the Robinson Racing slipper set up and stock gear cover. And if anyone has a complete assembly of shift linkage, servo horn and/or servo in good condition let me know I'm in need of that as well.

After that all that remains is deciding on shocks, electronics, motor/esc, body and wheel/tire combo.
    E-maxx 3906

Yup, you need the 3.3 spec turnbuckles.

Lookin real good tho!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Qualifier
    Are you doing the 4 shocks setup or sticking with 8?

Nice progress so far, I can't wait to see it done.
    Did you say Traxxas?

Yes with or without lipos.

RC poster
    I'm going with an 8 shock setup of either Pro-Line Power-strokes if I can find a set or Big Bores with upgraded springs.

RC poster
    Small update on some parts I've acquired. I won a set of Gorillamaxx battery straps, another trans with gorillamaxx single speed and single motor mount plate, and a UE idler gear and a some Pro-Line Powerstroke Shocks. I've read the 3.3 shafts and Powerstrokes have clearance issues, so I'll probably be picking up some Traxxas CVDs to match the centers. Also need to decide on a mild brushless system preferably a sensored system. I'm leaning toward the Novak Diablo system.