RC poster

Slash MT project. TRX LCG vs. Stock HCG?

One of the projects I'm wanting to start is a 2WD Slash MT. I'm not sure if I'll start with a roller, or just build it all from aftermarket parts. Either way, this will be strictly used for bashing with lots of "sweet jumps" running short grass/dirt/some pavement.

So at the core, would you build this truck around the TRX LCG or the stock HCG chassis? I've read lots of good things about the LCG, but wasn't sure about bottoming out on jumps or added drag on grass.

HT
    T-minus whenever it feels right

RC Qualifier
    Lcg, will jump better. The bulkheads on the hcg are just as low, so it will bottom out just as much. With 2.8 tires you shouldn't have a problem with grass.

RC Competitor
    I built mine for bashing and use the stock chassis. I may use the TRX LCG in the future.
    Last edited by NFD538; 07-04-2014 at 03:04 PM.

RC Champion
    i convertedd my rustler to a lcg 2wd clash and my stampede 4x4 to a slash 4x4 with the lcg chassis. like someone said the bulkheads/diff cases will be about the same ground clearance either way

RC Qualifier
    I just ordered the lcg because I dont like flipping over
    Is it fast enough? No, no it isn't.

RC Champion
    My lgc slash 4x4 is way more stable and I rarely have to take the "walk of shame" to flip my truck back over anymore.

I built 2 slash 4x4 MT's now. Both are just 2wd.. Way easier on batteries and motors. So so bashable and fun. They work really well with the front drive gear removed.
    Always in Trouble for trying to help out.

RC poster
    Thanks for the responses. If I were to build around the LCG chassis, would it still be a good idea to use the Pro-trac kit?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Hairtrigger View Post
    Thanks for the responses. If I were to build around the LCG chassis, would it still be a good idea to use the Pro-trac kit?
    Nice thing about the pro trac kit is the ability to rotate tires ( probably more important with M/T tires than SCT) although its more or a less a racer upgrade. Only benefit i could see as a basher IS the ability to rotate front to back.

If i ever build an MT basher it will have these...
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-Slas...item233c16cb7e
    Added bling sure but insurance too.Thats not to say RPM arms at a lower cost wouldnt get the job done but man they would look very cool.
    Race em Clean em Wrench em Repeat...

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    The 2wd lcg chassis is much more durable than the hcg. Add on the fact that the truck will handle 5x better with the lcg. Add on the fact that you will never miss the higher center clearance, and the answer is lcg all the way. Yes a pro track setup will still benefit the handling immensely.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC poster
    LCG it is! Thanks!

HT

RC Qualifier
    I'm a bit late to this party, but the LCG really makes a better basher than the HCG. It handles so much better and doesn't get high centered as easily. And, yeah, the Pro-trac kit is a great addition. The extra width with 2.8" tires really improves stability.

BTW, nice sig, Hairtrigger!

RC poster
    I am also interested in making essentially a 2wd slash Mt..... Something with as much ground clearance as possible, but with as much stability as needed to avoid the walk of shame....... I already plan on doing a Rustler rear arm wide mod for the front and rear of the slash to give it as much width this possible... plus the 2.8 fronts all around...... With that setup, Would going to the LCG actually be that much advantage? .... I'm also really worried about losing ground clearance as I plan on running it off road in the underbrush and sticks and grass... My rustler drags too much to be a good offroad... Not because of ground clearance at the axles, but because the whole underbelly is dragging,...... I worry that the slash lcg would have the same problem.... Anyone's thoughts?

If your rusty drags too much, then the lcg will also. Know that where the skids hang down on the hcg, can get hung up on large obstacles also. In my opinion, the only advantage that the hcg has as an mt is that it looks better as an mt with the higher center ground clearance... but an overpowered, widened hcg slash with mt tires is extremely fun, and challenging to drive. It handles pretty well also. The lcg will just handle a lot better...

RC poster
    Well my only issue with the rustler is that it drags on medium grass and on the type of underbrush, sticks, weeds, etc that I drive in... I have to keep it pretty much on flat ground even though it's lifted.... It's not so much big obstacles, the front will pop up over them, as I assume the rear would in the slash, it's the constant drag on the underbelly that slows it down....... But on the flip side, the slash seems to do better in those areas, but it will flip and roll if I come into a sharp corner at high speeds, rather than spin out.... I figure a wide mod all around should help with that, but didn't know if ultimately I would want to go lcg to prevent flippage

as long as you are using a wide mod with ft offset 2.8's, the hcg does just fine. It will flip, but learning how prevent that is the challenge/fun 8). The way you drive, and the way you tune the suspension has a lot to do with it...

RC poster
    Hmm.... If I go with a lcg, will my likelihood of flipping go to the near zero, like the rustler has?... Really Hard to flip it......and how far away is a wide modded slash? I get that driving style has a lot to do with it, but I would really like to make it as nearly impossible to flip as the rustler is, but think I want to keep the hcg .... Also what sort of suspension tuning would you suggest so as to keep from flipping? Softer or stiffer ? Shocks angled out or more upright? Higher weight oil or lower?... Sorry to slam you with questions, but this is what I'm currently working on....

RC poster
    Basic rear wide mod has already made a difference... Still need front wide and front offset rims for the rear...., but I see it being nice and stable when done.

RC Qualifier
    Let's see some pics of your project!!!

RC poster

Here's my slash.... Came to me with that body... Wish they did a better job cutting, but it's a good basher...I have a "graverobber" hearse body I'm thinking of doing up for it....... This is also before the rear widemod.

RC poster
    Btw.... The Chains are body clip tethers

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by madkawi650 View Post
    My lgc slash 4x4 is way more stable and I rarely have to take the "walk of shame" to flip my truck back over anymore.

I built 2 slash 4x4 MT's now. Both are just 2wd.. Way easier on batteries and motors. So so bashable and fun. They work really well with the front drive gear removed.
    What's the top wheels and tires i the first picture