Thread: BL for basher?

RC poster

BL for basher?

I have a couple of old 3906's that I would like to upgrade to brushless, but I don't want anything more powerful than stock. I'm afraid if I put anything over-the-top into it, I'll start breaking parts. I want the long run times and efficiency of BL+Lipo, but I'm happy with the speed and power of the stock setup.

Can anyone recommend an inexpensive BL setup? I'm thinking around an 1800 kV motor and an 80-120A ESC. Any ideas?

Thanks.

RC Qualifier
    Hobbywing Quicrun 150a and 2000kv on 3 or 4s
    Here in the UK, but Maxx back in New Zealand

RC poster
    That sounds like a pretty standard recommendation for a 1/8th BL setup. I was hoping for something a bit dialed-back--that wouldn't tear up my old stock 3906 drivetrain. Running it at 3S would dial it back, I guess, but I already have a 4S lipo setup. Also I don't want to spend the $$ on a big motor/esc, just to run it slow.

Has anyone tried a 1/10 sized BL setup in the emaxx? With the right gearing, maybe that can be OK?

RC poster
    if you want to use 540 size motors from 1/10 cars you will have to run two motors I would think to handle the weight and 4x4 of the Emaxx, maybe two 21.5 brushless systems?

RC Qualifier
    You can always get the old novak hv set up, I ran that in my truck when it was stock and had no issues with the tranny. I know someone with metal gears for the 3906 if you are interested.

RC poster
    Thanks, that's an excellent recommendation. I found this motor which appears to be similar to the Novak HV 5.5T motor. I'm going to give that a try, and I will report back. It shouldn't be as over-the-top as most of the brushless systems out there.

RC Qualifier
    Yes good choice and mild step up from the old titans.. the hv is almost a 10 year old design now but I found it a good upgrade. I remember beating my friends .18 nitro all the time.

RC poster
    Just to follow-up, I got a Flash 3000kV 550-size motor and an 80 A ESC. The gearing is 14/66 and the battery is 2x2S. It is a sensored system.

This setup is similar to the old Novak HV sytem that Kiwi mentioned. It works GREAT--it's got loads of power, but not overly aggressive. The motor barely gets warm in 1st gear and is just right in 2nd gear. I think this is a great option for people that want to upgrade their basher, and aren't interested in speed tests. The total price, with shipping was $110.

Edited for language abuse. If you see a starred out word in your post, you must edit it out to avoid earning warning points; this also applies when a banned product or company name has been blocked by the language filter.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 07-15-2014 at 01:19 PM.

RC Champion
    I would recomend a conservatively geared hobby wing system, but you seem to have figured out what you want.
    Doublethink: 2+2=4 while 2+2=0

RC poster
    I'm sure that would have been a good choice as well. I wanted a sensored system, though, and I haven't seen any others in the $100 range.

Quote Originally Posted by PowerToTheMaxx View Post
    I would recomend a conservatively geared hobby wing system, but you seem to have figured out what you want.

RC poster
    I have been looking at the (specs 4074), I think it is the same as the leopard motors. It is a combo with matching 134amp esc. It is a suggested part for the emaxx. They are around $150 with shipping from Integy.
    Anybody have experience with this combo? I am in the same boat as I am looking for a improvement over stock without trashing the drivetrain every outing. I just fried my esc, so I am actively looking to buy.

RC Champion
    Used to be people would run a single vxl in the 3906 because of the 2 speed, the lighter weight, ext. You can run a low kV SC system, for example a castle sidewinder with a 3300kv or so motor. However, you can only run 3s lipo and you have to closely watch the temps of the motor and ESC untill you get the gearing right.

This is not recomended but can be done with some creativity and maybe a motor fan.

Some of the castle stuff is sensored I believe, but I'm not sure which. I was really set on getting a sensored system, now I have a MM2 sensorless combo and it exceeds my exoecstions even when I'm crawling. Very smooth and no studdering to speak of.

I have heard of leapord motors, they seem to be good motors but have been known to have fatal magnet issues usually caused by excessive heat even when they wernt that hot. So yes, I have heard of them and some people love them but I caution you that they may not last like a castle or similar motor.
    Last edited by PowerToTheMaxx; 07-15-2014 at 08:59 PM.

RC poster
    SOoo, I bought a Momba Monster combo with the 1/8 1500 series Neu Castle motor. Hopefully it will work. I got a good deal on it, so I will try and if not it will go for re-sale. I am not sure exactly the Kv rating (Bought in auction). I think it is low.
    SO I am guessing, that I will begin the upgrades. I know this may be over kill for the 3906, I have a 775 adapter, but I guess I will find out what I need and what breaks first...

RC Champion
    The magic word for you is ....: PUNCH CONTROL !!!!

Set your punch control on the MM to like 50% or something. this will really tune down the power of the motor, but it will buy you some time to rebuild your truck to take the power. Castle Link is the easiest way to do this, $20, or i think you can do it with the regular programming but it will be a pain. There may be some other settings you can do, but punch control is best.

Did you get the waterproof version or the older one?
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 07-17-2014 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Content

RC poster
    I still am not sure of the KV rating or if it is WP or not. It was priced from the hobby shop at $390 (in the photos). I got a deal I couldn't pass up so, I figured I could always re-sell it with a proper description. But there was some guessing on model from original price. It may also be a discontinued model as it was bought originally a while back and never used. I should have it by the end of the week.

RC Champion
    Cool. Mamba monster is not waterproof, while Mamba Monster 2 is. The motor should say on it the kV rating and the model, so should the ESC

RC poster
    Just got the motor & esc. It is a Neu Castle 1515 / 1y 2200KV Motor. Does anybody have experience with this motor?
    Also the esc has a single battery plug, any suggestions on wiring? - Twin Adapter?