RC poster

Traxxas spartan filling with water

Hi guys,
    Today I used my spartan for the first time. I have a few questions. Is there suppose to be water going into the hull and is the motor in the hull waterproof also? Lastly, what about the battery connectors are those waterproof also? Thanks for all answers sorry for all the questions.

RC Champion
    all metal will need to be dried. dont think its supposed to get water in it. i dont have one myself, but maybe the water cooling tubing is leaking?

RC poster
    Maybe I really don't know. Maybe it is when I reverse because there is a lot of water when I reverse spraying up.

RC poster
    When I run my spartan why is there no water coming out the side opening from which the water cooling lines are connected isn't there suppose to be water coming out of that

RC Qualifier
    I don't run boats, but do follow them in the forums, isn't there a bilge pump that you could buy?
    If a RC never breaks, your doing it wrong

RC Qualifier

Traxxas spartan filling with water

Tyler G, I don't use reverse on my boat, I set it up to sports mode, because sometimes you might accidentally push the reverse, but that is just me, avoid doing reverse as possible or go slowly, try to take out the hose from the rudder, then blow it and feel if there is air going out, if nothing check your rudders hole maybe something get stuck into it.
    Last edited by Edgemoulic; 06-28-2014 at 03:32 PM.
    Sharing is the best thing to do on EARTH legally.

RC poster
    Thanks for the answers. Edgemoulic I think I will set up sports mode or just not use reverse, but on my spartan there is a little leaking on the outside of the seal where the drive cable goes through the plastic. In the worst case I will just call traxxas and ask them. And commando yes I can buy a bilge pump, but I don't want to add another thing on.

RC Qualifier
    A small amount of water inside after a run can be considered "normal". This would be a tablespoon or two of water.

Reverse on the Spartan is a bad idea, the rear of the hatch is wide open under the "vent tabs" and water is free to flow into the hull when using reverse. In rough water conditions, water can also enter through these openings if waves are breaking over the back of the boat while sitting stationary.

There are a few common areas to look at for leaking.

1. Stock silicone water cooling jacket on motor is prone to leaking. Replace with an aftermarket aluminum cooling jacket.
    2. Leaking cooling lines and/or connections. Inspect lines for cuts or cracks, secure all connections with small zip ties.
    3. Hatch. It is common practice with any RC boat to tape the hatch to help seal it from leakage, and to help secure it in the event of a wipe out. The hatch design on the Spartan makes it very difficult to tape securely, especially at the back around the hatch "tabs"
    4. Deck separation. The deck can start to separate from the hull. Use an adhesive suitable for abs plastic to secure and seal the deck to the hull

You mentioned little or no water flow from the outlet. That would be a possible indication of leaking cooling line, or water jacket. It can be hard to see the water stream sometimes. Especially at high speed or in rougher water conditions. The stream can "break up" at high speed or "blend in" to other water splashing around the hull when hitting waves.
    Make a pass or two at moderate speed to see if the stream is more noticeable.

You also mentioned it might be leaking a bit around the grommet where the stuffing tube exits the hull. Remove the component tray, inspect the grommet for any damage, and to be certain it is seated properly. Reinstall the component tray, but be sure to put a bit of grease or other lubricant on the stuffing tube before sliding it through the grommet. If it still leaks, replace the grommet.

hog

I filled in, then cut and sanded the tabs flush with the stern for easier taping to prevent water entry.

Aluminum water jacket, and if you look closely you will see zip ties on all connections.

Deck separation
    Last edited by hog; 06-29-2014 at 09:35 AM.

RC poster
    Thanks hog that was very helpful I figured out the problem was the reverse. Just too much water enters through the vents in reverse. The grommet has a little leaking, but just drips I was thinking about siliconing it. But it just leaks few droplets. No big problem there. Thanks for all of the helpful answers and thanks hog for the pictures I'm probably going to end up zip tying the water line connections. Thanks again.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by commando5184 View Post
    I don't run boats, but do follow them in the forums, isn't there a bilge pump that you could buy?
    Yes, but they generally are not very effective... I had a cooling pump in my Spartan, and it worked very well until I forgot how to clean the pump...

RC Enthusiast
    Hog, do you mind sharing how you filled in the back hatches so cleanly? I think i can get them sanded down quite easily, but filling them in cleanly is what I'm stuck on..

RC Qualifier
    I used some fiberglass resin and mesh to fill them. (I had fiberglass boats as well and had the material on hand)
    You can pick up a fiberglass repair kit at most any auto supply store, or probably at Walmart, for fairly cheap.

When I first did the mod I was uncertain how well the resin would bind to the plastic, given it's flexible nature. But the mod was solid for three years with no issues.

Some Spartan owners have used silicone to fill them in, I don't know how well that works, but I'm sure someone will offer up details.

I just lightly sanded the area I was filling in then filled with resin and a couple patches of fiberglass fibres.

Then sanded smooth, painted, and added a couple cheesy decals for the heck of it.

hog
    Last edited by hog; 07-08-2014 at 10:55 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the insight on this Hog, i think i'm going to try it out this weekend, hopefully it comes out as clean as yours! lol

RC poster
    I have two 8400mah lipos in my spartan , after running them for the second time I noticed one was puffy. I then balance charged them and the puffy went away. Does that seem normal ??

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Jberg View Post
    I have two 8400mah lipos in my spartan , after running them for the second time I noticed one was puffy. I then balance charged them and the puffy went away. Does that seem normal ??

I always balance charge them as you can damage them the other way. I would keep a close eye on them. If it becomes puffed and wont go back to normal then I would suggest trashing them.
    Revo 2.5 upgraded to 3.3.

RC poster
    I used the balance charger and I just used it and the cell are not the same now . Must be a bad one. Thanks for the help