Thread: SPC Lipos

RC Racer

SPC Lipos

Just got a big order in from SPC. Ill be using three of their 2s 8200 mah lipos to custom build 2 3s 8200mah packs for some long runs with the Spartan! Ill post again soon to report how long of run time im getting out of them.

RC Racer
    Just finished building the 3s packs. Everything went smooth and they are balance charging right now. Hopefully they finish before the sun goes down so I can give them their first cycle tonite.

Ill be sure to report my runtime soon!

RC Qualifier
    seems like you would have some problems with the weight doing that.

RC Racer
    Weight is not going to be an issue. My friend who I run boats with uses two of the Traxxas 8400mah 3s 25c packs and those things are like bricks compared to my custom SPC's. His stock Spartan moves just as good as mine when im running my 5000 3s packs.

RC Racer
    Finally got a chance to take her out tonite with the new Lipos. Got 36 mins of runtime with these bad boys! Mostly moderate speeds with occasional high speed passes. Not to much high speeds though because the river was a bit choppy tonite. That was only the first cycle so im hoping it may get a little better once they have a few more runs on them. Ill be going to a lake this weekend by a friends house and it should be calmer than the river so ill see what sort of times im getting when im able to run wide open for longer.

To be continued...

RC Competitor
    I ran two 5s in parallel for a while, they kept the boat in the water!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasERBE View Post
    I ran two 5s in parallel for a while, they kept the boat in the water!

lol well you can forget about catching air like that. That would give you insane run time though.
    Revo 2.5 upgraded to 3.3.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ManDime View Post
    lol well you can forget about catching air like that. That would give you insane run time though.
    Technically catching air is bad for the ESC and motor. Actually they were junk batteries so 7 minutes full throttle. It was fun though that I could run in the wind and not flip!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasERBE View Post
    Technically catching air is bad for the ESC and motor. Actually they were junk batteries so 7 minutes full throttle. It was fun though that I could run in the wind and not flip!

still learning. I have to look into if its possible to make a slipper system....

RC Competitor

SPC Lipos

It just pulls more amps, so if your boat is pulling 90 amps while at full speed what happens when it comes out of the water and back in? Well it causes smoke, it tries to pull more amps but the ESC can't so smoke appears an then

From my FE (Fast Electric) boating experiences with Spartans... For a normal Spartan on 6s you need an ESC that can provide more than +150 amps continuous. You should take a look at OSE Forums, they will amaze you!

Now a slipper on a boat... If I didn't have a headache I would lol to the max... Just about anything with boats and cars don't mix, boats are inefficient but fun! Don't take my info the wrong way, it's just my thoughts on it.

Remember, just because it's says 100 doesn't mean use it at 100... Everyone with a Traxxas and a budget learned that real quick! Since your in a jetboat I have no godly idea what amps you'll pull, I'd imagine it would be high rpms though! I will pm you a Jetbuild link that is on OSE.
    Last edited by TexasERBE; 06-29-2014 at 09:15 PM.

RC Racer
    Ordered up some heat-shrink a few days ago and it came in today so I finally got the SPC's all buttoned up. Went the extra mile and double-wrapped them. Yeah the labels still say 2s2p and 7.4v but I know what they are now. Maybe ill see if SPC can print me some custom labels

Last edited by ttypedan; 06-30-2014 at 04:37 PM.

RC Competitor
    I have a felling that thy will add in that any warranty is voided, but then again they might say more power to ya!

RC Racer
    Im not worried about warranties. I threw all warranties out the window the minute I put the knife to them. Plus I know that these are quality lipos so im sure they will last a long while. And I know my work on them is quality. I have been soldering for over 20 years (wow I feel old sayin that lol) and ill put my skill up with the best of them. So as far as im concerned my custom packs are as good of quality if not better quality then when I opened the boxes.

And ive already been in contact with SPC and they have given me some helpful tips about my packs
    Last edited by ttypedan; 06-30-2014 at 06:06 PM.

RC Racer
    Ive got about 6 cycles on the SPC's now and they are doing great so far. Got them all charged up right now about to go hit the lake for some holiday fun and some Spartan time! As for run time im going to watch for total distance traveled today. Mostly because sometimes the Spartan is just floating in the water while im helping my friend with his boats or talking to people about the boats(everyone loves these things!)
    So basically im looking to find out miles-per-pack out of my fully charged pair of SPC's.
    Ill report back on my findings. Im going to estimate about 7-8 miles.

RC Racer
    Well, about 5 mins into my run with the GPS, my Spartan went nose-up. Drove the fishing boat out to it to find out I have a huge hole in the bottom of my hull! Not sure what I hit. Didnt see her acting funny just stopped and sank fast.

Anyways, new hull is on order. Seems I had the old hull design so the new one will be the updated hull.
    I will report back in about a week with the miles-per-pack figure.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ttypedan View Post
    Well, about 5 mins into my run with the GPS, my Spartan went nose-up. Drove the fishing boat out to it to find out I have a huge hole in the bottom of my hull! Not sure what I hit. Didnt see her acting funny just stopped and sank fast.

Anyways, new hull is on order. Seems I had the old hull design so the new one will be the updated hull.
    I will report back in about a week with the miles-per-pack figure.
    I want to see pics!

RC Racer

RC Racer
    New hull came in today! Im going to get her all fixed up and ill try to get a run in tonite before dark.
    To Be Continued...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ttypedan View Post
    New hull came in today! Im going to get her all fixed up and ill try to get a run in tonite before dark.
    To Be Continued...

ouch that's a nice crunch.

RC Racer
    Yeah it is. Been doing some thinking since it happened and im pretty sure its from a small collision I had with my brothers Geico 24.