RC poster

E-Maxx Build Thread

Hello everyone and welcome to my E-Maxx Build thread. I am new to this forum and thought I would start off by posting my progress as I build my E-Maxx. I recently acquired this completely stock 3906 E-Maxx on Craigslist for a cheap price. When I bought it I could tell that the truck had not been run in a while and would need some work. I decided that I would start replacing parts, as they break, with aftermarket parts that would be for a 3903/05/08 E-Maxx. So this is basically a 3906 to 3908 build.

Here are some pictures of the truck now. For some reason, the guy that I bought it from decided to paint the entire truck yellow on top of the body, I have no idea why.

Note: The truck is partially disassembled in these pictures because I am working on it.

RC poster
    Hi and welcome.
    Congrats on the new truck.
    I too recently joined here and also got a good deal on a lightly used 3906.
    Good luck with your rebuild.

RC Champion
    Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new truck. There a lot of very knowledgeable people on. This forum. Anytime you have questions please feel free to ask

Welcome to the club and enjoy the truck!
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC poster
    Awesome thank you everyone for the welcome!

The day after I bought the truck the EVX started to act funny and seemed to be stuck in

programming mode or something else. I took it up to my LHS and no one was able to figure out

the problem. Instead of buying an EVX-2 I decided to go brushless and get the Sidewinder 8th

System with the 2200kv motor. When I bought it I knew it would destroy my truck, especially

my drivetrain, but I plan on upgrading it, so I'm not too worried. However, I did dial the

ESC down a bit and I am only running NiMHs with the truck as of now. I am loving this system

in my E-Maxx and even with NiMHs the battery life is really long!

Here are some pictures of the Sidewinder 8th-

The I had to dremel the side of my transmission case to get the motor in but it was only a

little bit.

RC poster
    Nice one. Will have loads of fun with that system

RC poster
    Some of you may have noticed the different steering servo, I swapped out the 10 year old stock servo that barely worked for a Savox waterproof servo that I had laying around. It increased my steering a lot, but I probably need a new servo saver / steering system. If anyone has any recommendations for it let me know, I am using only one servo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryzhuu View Post
    I probably need a new servo saver / steering system. If anyone has any recommendations for it let me know, I am using only one servo.
    The Kimbrough 124 gas truck servo saver should do the trick.

E-Maxx Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post
    Good to know! My buddy just ordered the Kim124 for his 3906 I've been wrenching on.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post
    Awesome, thank you for the recommendation... And this is good to use with only one servo?

Awesome, thank you for the recommendation... And this is good to use with only one servo?
    Yes it is.

RC Competitor
    Awesome thank you everyone for the welcome!

The day after I bought the truck the EVX started to act funny and seemed to be stuck in

programming mode or something else. I took it up to my LHS and no one was able to figure out

the problem. Instead of buying an EVX-2 I decided to go brushless and get the Sidewinder 8th

System with the 2200kv motor. When I bought it I knew it would destroy my truck, especially

my drivetrain, but I plan on upgrading it, so I'm not too worried. However, I did dial the

ESC down a bit and I am only running NiMHs with the truck as of now. I am loving this system

in my E-Maxx and even with NiMHs the battery life is really long!

Here are some pictures of the Sidewinder 8th-

The I had to dremel the side of my transmission case to get the motor in but it was only a

little bit.
    I've heard that the E-Maxx is too heavy for the sidewinder 8th system....are you having any problems with it? Because I like the low price tag but I dont want to have it get overloaded, break, and then have to replace it.

Thanks!

RC poster
    Well right now Im not having any problems with it, it is very fun and the batteries last a while on it. I am running NiHMs on my truck and I have the speed dialed down quite a bit because I need to upgrade my drivetrain. It will be about a month before I upgrade my truck to handle LiPos and more speed but so far I haven't had any problems

RC poster
    Ok, so last week while driving I snapped a stock rear driveshaft. Considering that I

wasn't putting very much power or torque into the E-Maxx I was very suprised. Instead of

just fixing the driveshaft I figured that it was time for another upgrade . I had the

older style short-armed E-Maxx and I was tired of that.

I ordered Traxxas CVDs, Traxxas E-Maxx Axle Carriers, Traxxas E-Maxx Turnbuckles,

Traxxas Rod Ends, RPM Rear True-Track Kit, and RPM A-Arms (x2).

The Traxxas CVDs fit fine on the older differential (I have a feeling I will be upgrading the

diffs and bulks soon anyway).

I installed the rest of my parts onto my E-Maxx without very much problem. The CVDs kept

popping out of the drive cups in the front but I fixed the problem by tightening the axle

carriers down. If it keeps happening I may get the extended drive cups for it.

My truck is really coming together now, I am happy with this upgrade and it made my 3906 a lot wider! Now what I want to get is a new chassis, probably

FLM, and the new E-Maxx transmission.

RC Champion
    This is a little off topic but what camera are you using lol. Those are pretty clear close up pictures.

Looks like your build is coming along very nicely

RC poster
    It is a GE A1250 Digital Camera. It is a cheap camera that I got a few years ago and it is pretty nice :P

--

My shocks are sagging a little bit even with 55wt oil in them and I am wondering what I should do. I would rather not spend 60 bucks for big bores just yet. I have heard that Losi 8ight blues are good... does anyone have any suggestions?

RC Competitor
    Get some stiffer springs? I went with Associated Copper springs and they are much stiffer than the stock.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFUC6&P=7

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by epeder1102 View Post
    Get some stiffer springs? I went with Associated Copper springs and they are much stiffer than the stock.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFUC6&P=7
    Ok cool, thank you... I might go with those, I can see that they are much stiffer with a 6.9 rate instead of the stock shocks which are 2.5 I believe... thanks
    --
    Ok so I ended up ordering a few new things in preparation for getting a new chassis. I got

the new transmission, reciever box, and single motor mount plate. I also ended up getting

some new tires.

After putting the new tires on, one of the center driveshafts melted and snapped after about

5 minutes.

I went ahead and placed a large order of FLM parts, here is what I ordered:
    FLM Extended Chassis
    FLM Front / Rear Bulks
    FLM Bulkhead Braces
    FLM Front / Center / Rear Skids

I can't wait to get my package.

RC poster
    I'ts still a good thing you changed the tires, the stock ones have a large gap and that gives it a wobble on harder surfaces.