RC poster

Is this a ESC issue? first run with lipo's (4s)

I searched the forums but mine is a bit different from other issues. Here is what happened:

Burned up 3 sets of NiMH batteries over the 3 years I've owned the boat (probably 40-50 runs) so I finally bought some LIPO's: two 2s 5000mh 30c batteries. I'm all about just having it run properly and am happy with the lower speeds I just wanted more run time and to stop burning up batteries. All the troubles I've read about over the years with running LIPO's on stock components kept me gun shy.

Well, enabled LVC, relubed flex cable, threw it in the water and had a solid 15 minutes of faster then NiMH fun. LVC cut in, pulled it out of water and cables, batteries and ESC were cool to touch. Motor was probably 90'ish degrees (70 degrees outside). Charged batteries and put it back in the water and it only went about 30 seconds before LVC cut in again. What the heck? Disabled LVC, put in my Stampede's charged NiMH 5000mh batteries and it would only drive like when LVC cuts in on LIPO's.

Anyone got any ideas of what I should do next? could it be LVC stuck on?
    Spartan - stock
    Stampede - velineon upgrade

RC Qualifier
    I'd run this all by a Traxxas Rep. From what you're saying, though; it sounds like you're having a ESC programing issue, or that your ESC is bad.

Here are some tips that can make your future trouble shooting a little easier:

As far as an easy test for your motor goes, spin your motors' rotor. If you can feel the magnetic compression as you turn the rotor, your motor should be okay. With trouble shooting your batteries, it will help you out a lot if you have several pairs of what ever batteries you want to run...Lipo's or Nims. Also what helps trouble shooting a lot is, if you have a good charger that gives you all the information...like battery capacity, cell voltage, inner cell resistance, and so on.

Also when you charge your Lipo's, go with a balance charge, and run only one type of battery. In other words Nims or Lipo's, don't keep programing your ESC's LVC on & off. I say that because, in the beginning I went back and forth myself. And, I did have some goofy issues like what you're experiencing too. Mine turned out to be problems caused by how I was programing my ESC. Anyway good luck, and I hope I gave you some ideas.

RC poster
    Thanks Dude. I do have a balance charger- Dual Power B6ac 80w Super Multi Charger Balancer http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and am using the Traxxas charging board from Kintec listed under the Spartan tab # KT-1796XH-TRX and these el-cheapo amazon batteries: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Spartan - stock
    Stampede - velineon upgrade

Traxxas Employee
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks n Stones View Post
    I searched the forums but mine is a bit different from other issues. Here is what happened:

Burned up 3 sets of NiMH batteries over the 3 years I've owned the boat (probably 40-50 runs) so I finally bought some LIPO's: two 2s 5000mh 30c batteries. I'm all about just having it run properly and am happy with the lower speeds I just wanted more run time and to stop burning up batteries. All the troubles I've read about over the years with running LIPO's on stock components kept me gun shy.

Well, enabled LVC, relubed flex cable, threw it in the water and had a solid 15 minutes of faster then NiMH fun. LVC cut in, pulled it out of water and cables, batteries and ESC were cool to touch. Motor was probably 90'ish degrees (70 degrees outside). Charged batteries and put it back in the water and it only went about 30 seconds before LVC cut in again. What the heck? Disabled LVC, put in my Stampede's charged NiMH 5000mh batteries and it would only drive like when LVC cuts in on LIPO's.

Anyone got any ideas of what I should do next? could it be LVC stuck on?
    Make sure you did not accidentally stick it in training mode. I have accidentally done this while recalibrating the ESC and it drove me nuts for about 10 minutes also if the bearings have not been lubed you may have a bearing issue. Start with the ESC and go from there.