RC poster

Sand in center driveshaft and spurgear

Hello,

I have a lot of problems with sand entering the spurgear and pinion and the sand is sitting between the tooth of the spurgear. I have tried using ductape in front over the center shaft hole and making a small hole to the tape, but as I drive either the tape falls of or the hole in the tape gets bigger and allowing sand to enter. Is there any permanent solution to this problem?

Does it help to do the LCG conversion?

-Trond Eric

RC Enthusiast
    LCG will definitely help, if not eliminate that problem. There are many different mods to help with the HCG chassis. The most popular appears to be using the soft side of an adhesive Velcro strip and place a ring of that, sticky side out against the chassis, soft side in towards the drive shaft.

RC Enthusiast
    I also used an undertray which helped quite a bit, pendents sand from getting in that area at all most of the time. Though when rocks did get in they didn't get back out, which was a pita...

RC poster
    Thanks for reply.

I am very much considering the lcg chassis.
    Is the centershaft exposed from under the car with the lcg chassis?

Welcome to the forum and the addiction! You are among a group of people who share the love of the Traxxas Slash 4x4! If you have questions please feel free to ask. Remember we are here to help!

You could just remove the plastic cover over the driveshaft. Another trick for keeping a little less junk in the area of the gears is to squeeze the black plastic cover that goes over the gears. It makes it fit a little bit tighter.
    Slash Ultimate, ET-3S, 2400, MIP, King Headz, RPM

RC Enthusiast
    Not sure what you mean by "squeeze", but I ran a bead of blue RTV silicone gasket maker around all seams in all gearboxes before assembling them since the place I typically run has dirt so fine it's almost powder. Generally works, only debris I get in my (LCG) center gearbox is dust from slipper pads.

Not sure I agree with taking the shaft cover off on a HCG. wouldn't you get even more debris into the right area around the shaft? May help prevent trash getting into the gearbox, but I would expect that it trashes more shafts...

RC Qualifier
    The velcro mod mentioned above works great to prevent sand entering the center driveshaft tunnel. You can also use a pipecleaner or a piece of foam glued to the chassis.
    However, this will not prevent sand inside the bulkhead/spur gear. As El Sob says it's possible to form the gear cover to fit a little tighter (I use a heat gun to soften the plastic), and you should also close the two drain holes in the bottom of the bulkhead (fill them with some glue or use 3mm set screws. And I always recommed using a shroud.
    Last edited by Viking; 06-20-2014 at 08:39 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    We run 5 different Slash 4x4s on a loose sandy/gravel track and the 3 trucks with LCG conversion pick up way less grit in the Spur gear (like never had it happen after 30 lipos). It is worth the $55 to convert for that reason alone as you are not picking pebbles out of the spur gear with a dental pic every 3 laps. If you ignore the extra drivetrain noise from the embedded debris, then I recommend you buy spur gears by the 6 pack.
    Last edited by Sporto; 06-21-2014 at 12:11 AM.
    "Buy the best and cry just once"

RC Racer
    I wrapped electrical tape around the drive shaft where it enters the chassis. Just bashed in the sand today. No sand. Keep the cover on and do the tape. Works amazing. There are several videos on YouTube on how to do it.

RC poster
    I just ordered the lcg conversion kit and the jconcept over tray. Looking forward to get it and try it out :-) hopes this keep more sand out, and as a bonus better handling.

RC Racer
    I tryed every thing on my hcg to stop sand getting in including silicone round every crevice,done the centre shaft mod and foam over bearings oh and i have the kings motor mount but still the bearings jam up with sand,nothing wrong with bearings though,the only thing that has worked for me is the dusty motors cover,although it does get hotter now but at least the bearings last,just get very fine stuff now which isnt to bad.
    Interesting the lcg doesnt suffer the same though
    sweet and sour traxxas power