RC poster

Got away from me today!

I was flying in my back yard today and got brave and decided to fly out a little. It got away from me where it was just a speck in the sky. I let the right stick go and gave full throttle hoping to see it pop up above the trees. I didn't wait long and cut the throttle. It must have been 200 feet high. I figured I would never find it. I went out in the car and gave up quickly. I figured while the battery was still alive I would go get help. My wife always finds everything I misplace Drove to the next street and she found it in less than 3 minutes. It was upside down in the grass blinking away. I figured it had to have some damage but nothing. I mean not a scratch! I brought it home, fired it up (this time in the den), and flew it around. I know it dropped from at least 200 feet. It's amazing how tough this thing is.

Lesson learned: Go to a open field or park

Anyone else have any stories like this?

RC poster
    Yea I still get in "ahhhh" when I make it go so high you can barely see it. I did it tonight cuz it freaks my brother out. I did it a month and a half-two months ago. Before I knew how to get it down the fun and easy way. I wasn't even a rookie then. Probably in pee-wee. The only thing I was good at was getting that puppy so high.
    This day was like everyday before it. I flew it the same way for the 1st 15-20 flights. Wrecked it. Wrecked it again. Maybe a wreck or 2 more. Then I'd say, let me do what I'm good at; Take it straight up. Who needs skill for that, I thought. So full throttle up. It was like a spec. Did my ahh's. Then it reached the limit that made me nervous, so I started to attempt to bring it down. So as usual I started lowering the throttle slowly, to get it down (just like I did 10+ times before this.) But Unlike before, this was a little bit more windy then usual. It was windy enough up there that even at 20, it wasn't coming down. It wasn't getting any closer to earth. I knew if I killed the throttle, I'd lose any control i had. Which I was basically just controlling it to stay above me, instead of above me and in front of me.
    So what seemed like 2-3 minutes at 20 (it was probably 10-15 seconds) and it wasn't getting closer, a little panic set in. It was still just as high. Stuck in the crosswind. Well I went against my gut feeling and cut the throttle.....Sure enough, it's going forward. The wind has it and I had no control. And I'm in a neighborhood. I fly it over a huge field that a church owns down the street from my town home. So, now not am I only worried about losing it, but it's going blocks away (it seemed) and could potentially hurt someone when it fell. That turned into my main concern. It looked like a mile up, and past the 70 yards of field I was flying over, and maybe two streets past the field. (Which I kinda doubt. That woulda been a 1/8th of a mile in reality.) regardless, full blown panic was going on inside my head at this point. I Played it cool on the outside, inside was...mayhem.
    So I fired it back up. I couldn't see the which way was forward because I could barely see it. So I was turning it slow while giving a decent amount of forward throttle. I got a grasp of what was forward some how and got it coming toward the field . When I was certain it was getting bigger I did full blast ahead. Which brought it down at a diagonal. It landed across the street of the (approximate) 70 yard field, in a driveway of a home. 3 feet or so from a Nissan frontier truck. When it hit the cement, the sound put a chill down my back. Relieved i got it back. More relieved it didn't hit anything or anybody, more importantly. But the sound (to me) was loud. I walked at a cool very fast pace through the field to grab it. Got it and went back to the church parking lot checked it out. It only had a cracked canopy (landed on it's back. Actual it's probably how I bent the prop shaft). I inspected for broke spurs etc... put it down and fired it up and it flew fine. I did a quick spin around the field. A very low spin. And I left. That was the last time I had it high like that.
    I've learned how to fly it pretty darn good since. But like I said awhile ago, I did it tonight. Not as high as then but pretty darn high. I did the aux 1 and titled right stick to the right and it did 5 flips down, I did it once more and it was down low enough I knew I could get it back to me. I will alway remember that. It was a rush that turned to panic that turned omg that turned back into a rush once I got it back. Good times. Good times.

RC Qualifier
    Night time, WAY WAY WAY too high, wind got it. GONE. gave up and was walking back inside when it crash landed about 100 feet from me at a more than 45 degree angle like a poorly thrown frisbee. hoped, skipped, and rolled another 20 -30 feet or so before coming to a rest, thing came in FAST.

RC Racer
    When they get that far away and orientation is lost, I suspect it's a bad idea to try to get it to move towards you. You can't tell whether it's going towards or away.

I quickly move the right stick through all four directions and look for obvious sideways movement to the right. Once I find that, I simply rotate the stick 90 degrees clockwise to get it headed towards me. Either that works well, or I've been incredibly lucky.

RC poster
    Lost mine in the woods... I sent it a couple hundred feet up, and a wind gust took it.

90 minutes later after hacking through kudzu and dense underbrush I came upon it, one motor was dust... but I got it back.

RC Qualifier
    When mine was still flying, and it was new and no one of my family and neighbors have seen any quadcopter before, they would say " how high can it go?" So I just put full throttle and until I can barely see it. But then when it's so high and feels like it's being blown by the strong info I'm always like " I swear I'll never fly this high again" but then I always do! It's so addicting until the motors broke.

RC poster
    Today, I decided to fly it off the deck of my house. All was great till all the sudden a gust came up from the north like hard. Forward flight even full bore couldn't take it went down range in a second. To far away when I go it stable in a hover again. I tried to get orientation but it was to far away. I had to crash it. I searched,but got bit all to **** by the mosquitoes , I gave up. I got to see native minnesota, and yeah that was the by first worst direction to crash.. Traxxis where is our return to home butten?

RC poster
    My friends wife was flying hers really high in the sky and before she knew it she couldnt tell if she was bringing it in or sending it further out and it was so far she lost control. the end, we could never find it again!

RC Racer
    Bummer. Can't say it often enough. Take a marking pen and put your phone number on the underside of a prop. At least you've got a chance.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy1 View Post
    Bummer. Can't say it often enough. Take a marking pen and put your phone number on the underside of a prop. At least you've got a chance.
    Until you crash it on a hells angels harley...

RC poster
    The Key to this hobby Is not how high you can fly it's how low you can fly. The higher you go the higher the risk.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy1 View Post
    I put my number on the prop after reading this and then 2 days later it flew away from me for good! At least now I have a glimpse of hope someone might call me, thanks Jeremy!

RC poster
    I'm going to give these a try:

StickNFind

It is a little bluetooth locator. Might help to find it.

They weigh 5 grams so it is not so bad.

I'll let you know how it goes...

RC Enthusiast
    Have you actually read any reviews on that StickNFind? It seems like a good idea, but... that's about it, a good idea...

RC poster
    They surely must be better than nothing?

I found my lost copter today and that was just blind luck. It was so far up a tree and much further away from where I thought it would be. It took me several days to find it.

If I had had even the crappiest indication of distance i would have zeroed in on it much faster.

The buzzing and the LED i could do without. The buzzer would be hard to hear outside and the LED would probably only be seen at night.

They are in the mail right now. So I'll let you know how they perform om the battlefield.

Last edited by MattiasM; 07-08-2014 at 01:13 PM.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by MattiasM View Post
    They surely must be better than nothing?

I found my lost copter today and that was just blind luck. It was so far up a tree and much further away from where I thought it would be. It took me several days to find it.

If I had had even the crappiest indication of distance i would have zeroed in on it much faster.

The buzzing and the LED i could do without. The buzzer would be hard to hear outside and the LED would probably only be seen at night.

They are in the mail right now. So I'll let you know how they perform om the battlefield.

There are several different executions of the Bluetooth/GPS locator. tiles and sticknfind are just 2. Tiles look like the most polished version but not cheap and only work with newer IOS devices only, no droid yet.

RC Racer
    Not to rain on your parade, but look here:
    http://www.amazon.com/Stick-N-Find-B...s=stick-n-find

In particular check the 50 reviews by the purchasers. Overwhelmingly negative. Some report actual useful range of between 10 and 50 ft.

But a couple refer to updating their units with new firmware that showed promise.

RC poster
    That surely does not look promising. Oh well... Sometimes you bet on the wrong horse... At least this one wasn't so expensive.

Bought a Thompson Voodoo D6 HD cassette recorder for our company. It cost about 200000usd. Then sony launched their HDcam decks. Ended up selling it almost unused for 2000usd two years later. Like throwing away a ferarri.

RC Racer
    Okay, I'm having trouble saying this with a straight face, but for those who don't do flips, how about attaching it to a long fishing line? I looked up something called 2-lb spider line and it's only .006" (six thousanths). That must be like nothing.

Not that you could reel it in if you crash-land way out yonder. But you could follow it like bread crumbs.

--- Naw---

RC poster
    Maybe that is something for the flyfishing crowd to think about. Using a quad to drop the hook exactly where you want it.

It would be nice if the quad started beeping/flashing after lets say five minutes of inaction. It would serve as a reminder to remove the battery from the quad and also be very valuable when searching for it.
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 07-09-2014 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Merged

RC poster
    Have a look at this locator system. At least they're stylish lol

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/t...vice-ever#home

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by MattiasM View Post
    It would be nice if the quad started beeping/flashing after lets say five minutes of inaction. It would serve as a reminder to remove the battery from the quad and also be very valuable when searching for it.
    You could take one of these and wire it into battery voltage at the FC board:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-x-Piezo-El...item4abfba83be

I'd love to put a 10 minute time delay on it but don't know how. So just by itself it will buzz whenever the battery is connected. Crash it a few hundred feet away and you should still hear it once you get somewhere close.

But you'd have to live with it during flight.