RC poster

Question EVX dead: try replacing FETs or just get EVX2 replacement for $50?

Hi All,

So my EVX is dead, the light goes red/green/blinks correctly but there's no power to the motors. Should I try replacing the FETs with new ones or just get an EVX2 replacement from Traxxas for $50? The FETs will cost <$20 for 8.

What do you guys think? Will new FETs even fix my ESC or should I just throw in the towel and get an EVX2 for $50 or another ESC?

BTW, I'm pretty good at soldering. I had to replace the battery leads on my EVX to test it, so I already have the case open.

Thanks!

RC Qualifier
    I would pay 220 dollars and buy the mamba monster 2 combo with brushless motor and Esc.
    Monster Energy MT, F-150 Raptor Stampede, Teton

RC Qualifier
    If I was in this situation, I probably contact Traxxas first for a replacement or maybe they might fix it, but since you opened your ESC I'm afraid that's out of the question. I'm pretty sure some people have replaced the FETs, but I'm not saying you should go for it. If you are planning to go brushless someday then the MM2 combo is one option that Shadow suggested.
    Did you say Traxxas?

Yes with or without lipos.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    The Traxxas Lifetime Warranty program is still good even if he opened it up.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

I'd just send it in and get a new one versus playing around with trying to fix the older one. A new one might cost a little more money, but you'll know that it's going to work when you get it.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC poster
    If you get a replacement under the Lifetime Warranty program, does it have a 1 year replacement warranty?

$220 for the Mamba Monster 2 combo would be nice, but it's a bit out of the budget. Also, I'd have to replace many more parts on my E-Maxx 3906 to handle this new combo. Wouldn't I be better off getting a used E-Maxx brushless or Summit at this point?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Yes... at that point.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by bz7 View Post
    If you get a replacement under the Lifetime Warranty program, does it have a 1 year replacement warranty?
    Traxxas' electronics have a 30 day warranty.

Wouldn't I be better off getting a used E-Maxx brushless or Summit at this point?
    It depends on who you ask. Most people will say yes, but I say that it depends. If you don't mind spending the time and money to get the truck ready to handle the power of brushless, then go for it. I'm partial to the 3906, so I would likely upgrade the 3906 if I wanted to go brushless.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-21-2014 at 08:54 AM.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle