RC Enthusiast

LiPo will not charge.

I have a traxxas 5000 mAh LiPo that is about 6-8 months old and only used 4X. I go to charge it today and the charger says a voltage error! Both my chargers say the same thing! I have a an Onyx 235 & 245 chargers!

I guess battery is no good?

Is there a warranty on the Traxxas battery?

Thanks

RC Competitor
    I've had errors in the past. Turned out to be dodgy connection (probably due to debris) with the balance board. Gave it a clean and a jiggle and a restart of the charger and all good.

RC Qualifier
    Do you have a voltage checker or anything? It sounds like dirt in the board/plug to me though

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    How did you store this pack?
    If you used it and then just let it sit, it very well could have self-discharged to the point it cannot be saved. If this is the case, properly storing your packs is a very important step to keeping them alive. This is why I never recommend the Onyx chargers you have; they lack a very important feature: storage.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Enthusiast
    Just got off phone with Taxxas support. They said to send them my battery and they will "decide" whether not to replace the battery pack. My pack was "stored" with 4volts and did not get "puffy"! What charger do you recommend charging more than 1 battery at a time and has a "storage" feature?
    Thanks

First, ANY charger can charge multiple LiPo's... with either a Paraboard or a Traxxas dual charge board.

Right now, the best deal available for a high-powered charge system is the Hyperion 0730i along with a converted power supply. These two items are available for about $130. Then you can add either a Paraboard to charge up to 6 packs at a time or a Traxxas dual charge board to charge 2 packs at a time.

If you want to go all out, look into a iCharger 406... twin 40 amp channels!!

Storage voltage is 3.8v/cell... storing at full voltage will kill a pack early.

RC Enthusiast
    So storing mine at 4.0 volts (5000 mAh, 25c, 3s, 11.1v LiPo battery) should have been ok?

I will look into those other chargers. Thanks

No... long term (1+ weeks) storage voltage is 3.8v/cell. Which would have been 11.4 volts for your pack.

RC Enthusiast
    But that's fully charged 11.1! Now I'm confused!

Fully charged is 12.6 volts... 4.2 x 3.

3v/cell is the lowest you want to go.
    3.5v/cell is where you want LVC to be set.
    3.7v/cell is "nominal" and nominal voltage is what is printed on all packs, NiMH and LiPo.
    3.8v/cell is storage.
    4.2v/cell is full.

3v/cell is a critical voltage - you do not want to ever go below that.
    4.2v/cell is a critical votlage - you do not want to ever go above that.

LVC can vary.
    If you want to push your packs and replace them often, lower settings can be used. Voltage dips below the LVC setting during use... which is why I suggest either a 3.4-3.5v/cell LVC setting... to keep packs safe and happy.

Short term storage can vary.
    Short term being a time span up to 2-3 days. This voltage is anywhere from 3.5-4v/cell. If storing a pack for longer than this, 3.8v should be used.

Also, the longer a pack is at full voltage, the fewer cycles you will get out of it... charge and use as quick as possible.
    Last edited by Jimmie Neutron; 06-19-2014 at 10:10 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    When I hook it up to charger all the data reads is 4.08 volts. So I don't know what each cell is.

If the pack is reading 4.08, we can assume the cells are 1.36... 4.08/3. If this is the case, the pack is 100% dead and unusable.

I suggest buying a LiPo cell checker... they can be bought for less than $5 and will tell you the voltage of each and every cell within the pack.

RC Qualifier
    Cant you ballance charge? I dont know that charger, but i click a button and it shows each cell as its own

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    I suggest buying a LiPo cell checker... they can be bought for less than $5 and will tell you the voltage of each and every cell within the pack.
    I will look into it. Good to have anyway. I am looking at the icharger 308 or 406. Now I need to figure out what power supply I need!? This is getting expensive and confusing. What happened to the RC car days of plug the battery in and turn the timer, *ding* battery is charged 20 mins later. LOL

The charger won't list any info for each cell unless it's charging. Which it won't do!

RC Enthusiast
    My first charger was/is an onyx 235. Worked great for batteries less than 3000mah but always iffy with larger batteries where it would throw the same error you have been seeing. I now only use it for nimh - no lipos. I have also found that any charger where you are charging at close to it's max current rating will tend to create errors during the charge. According to the specs on the 245 that has a max charge rate of 5 amps which is typically the rate I would use for a 5000mah battery so I'd expect to see these errors. I think going with a charger that uses an external power supply is smart and looking at the specs for those ichargers you listed would give you more than enough power to charge two large batteries simultaneously.

I use a trakpower vr-1 and that with a power supply runs roughly the same price together as just the icharger 308. Charging power is less though and channel two is more limited than channel one but more than adequate for my needs. I charge 7600 2s and 5800 2s together all of the time and never an issue.

freddy fo:
    If your charger is not producing flawless charges at any amperage, I suggest not using that charger; it is defective. It should not matter what settings you select for the battery you are charging as long as they are proper settings for the battery.

GM:
    If you are getting a high-power iCharger, may I suggest looking into converting a server power supply for your power needs? Once converted they produce clean, reliable power for a fraction of the cost of a factory produced RC/lab power supply. For instance, I was able to build my 24 volt 75 amp unit for about $30-$40. There are also a few sites that sell them already converted.

RC Enthusiast
    Jimmie
    I guess you mean a power supply for a computer server and converting it! (Great idea!)
    Ok...... Got that far
    Now.... Converting it? Do you mean just adding output jacks for hooking up charger? Or is there more?

RC Enthusiast
    UPDATE: traxxas just sent me an email that they are replacing my LiPo battery!!!

That is customer service! That is why I will keep traxxas in my RC Arsenal!!!

I got my new power supply, new charger, new batteries, new GoPro body...... It's a good start to summer!!