RC Qualifier

Traxxas updating the Velineon to 4 pole?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-10-Traxxas...item2c85031be7

Has any one herd any thing about this?

RC Competitor
    Yes, there's a thread on it, forgot where, but it's here somewhere, someone on this forum said he seen it in person and they already raced one with it in there. Wolf something.

RC Qualifier
    So is coming out soon or will it be a few years yet. Hope they work out any bugs in it if its true

RC Racer
    Its on Ebay so it has been released already.
    Last edited by Silly Old Boy; 06-18-2014 at 04:07 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Ebay is the only place I have been able to find any info on it so far.

I'm interested to see the performance next to the old 2 pole motor.

Might have to buy it and try it out.

Any one know what kits this will be in?

I'm shocked traxxas said nothing about it.

RC Competitor
    Maybe they have yet to announce something since they probably still have older units that they are still trying to get rid of, but yet they want to get their foot in the door with the 4 pole thing so released the motor. Funny cause I'm sure they see these threads about the new motor and all the assumptions yet they haven't made a statement saying whether it's true or not.

RC Racer
    It looks like the 2014 Slash 4x4 has been updated from the ground up including the new motor and ESC. You can see some of the info here http://traxxas.com/products/models/e.../68086slash4x4. Apparently a lot of the parts have been upgraded (if I am reading it correctly).
    Last edited by Silly Old Boy; 06-18-2014 at 04:12 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    If they released the motor, they had to release the ESC as well. The "old" 3S would not operate a 4 pole motor properly.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Racer
    I just called Traxxas and the guy I spoke with said it is a 4 pole motor and it will not run with the old ESC. He told me you can upgrade your whole system (ESC & Motor) for $95 through the lifetime warranty as long as you write on the form that you want the new brushless system.

I wanted upgrade my system for something that runs cooler and this just might be the perfect way to do it.

Yep, here my other thread. I'll just link them together.

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...e-Motor-an-ESC
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Old Boy View Post
    I just called Traxxas and the guy I spoke with said it is a 4 pole motor and it will not run with the old ESC. He told me you can upgrade your whole system (ESC & Motor) for $95 through the lifetime warranty as long as you write on the form that you want the new brushless system.

I wanted upgrade my system for something that runs cooler and this just might be the perfect way to do it.
    Hmm, at this point the esc's new specs need to be known, if superior to the castle sidewinder (which wouldn't be a stretch) this could be a competitor for the 3800kv combo, at least for the $95 trade up deal.
    The big question is the new systems base street price..
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Racer
    Has anyone tried a 4 pole with the sensor wire. When I got my used truck the dude ran 3s and I believe the esc was half way gone as I had to run without lvc to get it to work on 2s.
    I got my 4pole Tekin w/sensor wire and ran it like that. The only thing I noticed was it ran great but at top speed the motor was speeding up and slowing down rythymically. Is this what happen's with a 4 pole and the velineon esc. Just wondering if the old esc is more toasted than I thought.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    Hmm, at this point the esc's new specs need to be known, if superior to the castle sidewinder (which wouldn't be a stretch) this could be a competitor for the 3800kv combo, at least for the $95 trade up deal.
    The big question is the new systems base street price..
    Here are the specs http://traxxas.com/products/models/e...slash4x4-specs

I don't know enough about ESCs to tell which one is better.

RC Champion
    I haven't seen anything on these links to say the motor is 4pole. What anout the plat. edition?
    E-revo mmm/2200
    100+mph tc4 neu powered

RC Racer
    I don't know if the platinum edition or ultimate have the upgraded system. I looked at the descriptions for both and they don't mention any changes and the pics show the old ESC. The HCG slash 4x4, and Stampede vxl 4x4, and a few others like the rustler vxl mention the "New generation of power" and show a pic of the new esc and updated radio. I'm not sure what changed in the radio but the "i" in TQi is now blue. That might be the only change. LOL.

Also the HCG Slash 4x4 was named Best Electric Truck for 2014.
    Last edited by Silly Old Boy; 06-19-2014 at 12:00 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    The blue "i" is representing the new bluetooth feature.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

Well, to answer the above question, we just got a Slash 2wd and Rustler VXL in today at my lhs and they both had the new 4 pole systems.

RC Qualifier
    If its true I hope it can handle 3s without overheating

RC Qualifier
    This is wonderful news! Gear it up! Take it to the track and run a full main on more aggressive gearing(15/54) without burning out in the summer season. I'll make sure to tell the guys at the track if they don't already know about it, there's quite a few slash users.

RC Champion
    Time will tell how much more powerful it is, or if it will handle higher temps. The magnets on the rotor may be weaker, thus keeping the overall power about the same. I hope it's better, I just wouldn't operate it immediately under that assumption. In other words, I wouldn't gear it up out of the box until I did some testing with it.

RC Qualifier
    Yup!, really hope traxxas listened to what was happening with the older esc and motor and addressed the issue(s). That would make people happier. Looked at the new version slash 4x4 and didn't see much in changes other than what they say about the esc/motor which really didn't tell me much in the first place. The iPod/iPhone mount on the transmitter looks a little odd. Not sure how the iPod/iPhone mounts on it or if you just use a cable for all your adjustments then take it off. Doesn't look wide enough to fit something in so you can see what the trucks doing. Anyway I hope they add more info on it.

RC Qualifier
    I read some of the 2014 slash 4x4 features and details and looks much better. When you just see the chassis with all its parts on it it looks the same until u start reading about it. It has a revo clutch now, thicker shafts to the 4 wheels, more room for a castle motor, new traxxas link set up and the esc/motor which is to be better then the older version. So already thinking of getting one or just pick up the esc/motor and shafts. If the price is right I may just buy it.

RC Qualifier
    Did not know about the ESC change.
    Looks like I will be sending mine in for the power up program.

RC Qualifier
    OK so I bought the new VXL 3s and the new 4 pole motor.
    Going to install it in my Slash 4x4 in a week or 2 when I have time.
    I'll let you guys know how it performs.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    That would make for nearly a perfect system in the sl4sh!
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

RC Qualifier
    I also have 2 complete old style Velinion systems, one that works, and one that's cooked.
    I'll be sending at least the cooked one in for the power up. May go with an MM system tho for that that one.
    If this new system is as good as I hope I will send the good old enough for the new Velinion system as well.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by guy45ot View Post
    I read some of the 2014 slash 4x4 features and details and looks much better. When you just see the chassis with all its parts on it it looks the same until u start reading about it. It has a revo clutch now, thicker shafts to the 4 wheels, more room for a castle motor, new traxxas link set up and the esc/motor which is to be better then the older version. So already thinking of getting one or just pick up the esc/motor and shafts. If the price is right I may just buy it.
    I still don't understand why they don't offer one with their house brand cvds. Make it a Platinum xl version or something to suit those who may not wanna pay the premium for them.
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

RC poster

I was just wondering if anyone has actually tried this warranty upgrade path? I emailed Traxxxas Customer service with this same idea and they told me:

"Unfortunately there is no option to upgrade. If the same unit is in stock that you send in that is what you will receive as a replacement."

Does this mean we have to wait until they run out of the stock of the old 2-pole version and then they'll send out the 4-pole version for warranty service?

Quote Originally Posted by swinder View Post
    I was just wondering if anyone has actually tried this warranty upgrade path? I emailed Traxxxas Customer service with this same idea and they told me:

"Unfortunately there is no option to upgrade. If the same unit is in stock that you send in that is what you will receive as a replacement."

Does this mean we have to wait until they run out of the stock of the old 2-pole version and then they'll send out the 4-pole version for warranty service?
    That's what I'm guessing. Knowing Traxxas, that could be in a month, or a year who knows.

RC Racer
    It's possible. Every time I call a company multiple times and end up speaking to different people I get a different story. Same thing here. I called back today and the guy I spoke with said he did not think the new motor was a 4 pole motor. He said it was just a "Running Upgrade", which is just a minor tweak here or there that doesn't change a ton and usually goes unnoticed by the majority of consumers. He said they are always tweaking the vehicles and changing little things here or there and this is the first time lots of people noticed because it also changed the outward appearance of the esc. He said this is why they were not given updated info on the motor. They were just told there were a few changes made to the VXL-3s system. Of course he did say the new motor will NOT run with the old esc, he was very clear that you must upgrade your esc to use the new motor. To me, this only makes sense if it is not a 2 pole motor. It would be nice if the representatives of the company were all on the same page and had all the information about the products they sell.

The guy I spoke with the other day said if you write that you want the new VXL-3s system on your forum that is what you will be given, but I can not guarantee that. I would just buy it off ebay and sell my old system on ebay. When you are all done it is probably ends up costing the same or less (if your system is pretty enough). I see used systems sell for over $80 all the time on there and the new system will cost you around $130.

RC Qualifier
    I have a new system I just ordered off eBay on its way to me.
    Should be here in a week.
    I will post some pics and will do some testing with it as well and post back.
    Pics posted on here show the new motor is a 4 pole. If it was still a 2 pole it would work with the old ESC.

RC poster
    Just as an update to anyone who cares; I took a chance with a broken VXL-3S and 3500 Velineon motor I had that I was trying to sell for parts. I sent it to Traxxas for their extended service plan with the note written about the defect being both that the system was broken and that I requested the new 2014, 4-pole system. What I received back for my $90 was the new ESC (as it has those large capacitors in the back), but a replacement, older 2-pole motor (it doesn't have the braided motor wires). Nothing was mentioned about my request for the new system, nor was I contacted about it, they just charged my card and shipped me what I just described.

Take it for what it's worth, but it seems that perhaps they have run out of stock on the old ESCs for service while they still have a fair number of the older motors available.

RC Qualifier
    Well my new 4 pole system arrived.
    I have not had any time to install it yet tho.

RC Racer
    Here are the specs http://traxxas.com/products/models/e...slash4x4-specs

I don't know enough about ESCs to tell which one is better.
    If the biggest selling feature of the "all new Slash 4x4" is the 4-pole Velineon motor, how come they don't list this new feature anywhere in the specs? (reg,plat, or ultimate) I'm not doubting the new motor is indeed a 4-pole, I just think its strange they don't promote this anywhere??! Read through all the specs and no where does it say its 4-pole, but the esc is different, this is very strange.

Either they have a lot of 2-poles to get rid of or somebody in marketing needs to be fired! lol

RC Champion
    It's possible. Every time I call a company multiple times and end up speaking to different people I get a different story. Same thing here. I called back today and the guy I spoke with said he did not think the new motor was a 4 pole motor. He said it was just a "Running Upgrade", which is just a minor tweak here or there that doesn't change a ton and usually goes unnoticed by the majority of consumers. He said they are always tweaking the vehicles and changing little things here or there and this is the first time lots of people noticed because it also changed the outward appearance of the esc. He said this is why they were not given updated info on the motor. They were just told there were a few changes made to the VXL-3s system. Of course he did say the new motor will NOT run with the old esc, he was very clear that you must upgrade your esc to use the new motor. To me, this only makes sense if it is not a 2 pole motor. It would be nice if the representatives of the company were all on the same page and had all the information about the products they sell.

The guy I spoke with the other day said if you write that you want the new VXL-3s system on your forum that is what you will be given, but I can not guarantee that. I would just buy it off ebay and sell my old system on ebay. When you are all done it is probably ends up costing the same or less (if your system is pretty enough). I see used systems sell for over $80 all the time on there and the new system will cost you around $130.
    That's why I'm not assuming that the new 4-pole motor will be any more powerful than the 2-pole. The upgrade may be because the supplier can now produce more bulk 4-pole motors cheaper than 2-poles. They could easily use weaker/cheaper magnets to lower the power. It could also be to just get in line with the now standard and most common 4-pole setups.

I just don't see traxxas not marketing a more powerful 4-pole setup. That doesn't make sense. They advertise the mxl-6s, the LCG chassis, the GTR shocks, etc..., but not this. That makes me think that power-wise, it's about the same as the 2-pole. I'm really interested to see some good tests.

RC Qualifier
    I can tell you this much so far.
    The motor is a 4 pole.

I have it in my hand right now.

Also the magnets in the new motor feel to be as strong or slightly stronger then the old 2 pole motor.

RC Qualifier
    The new one doesn't have anything printed on the wires and they aren't as flexible. The wires also off the top of that metal piece rather than the side

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jws1982 View Post
    I just don't see traxxas not marketing a more powerful 4-pole setup. That doesn't make sense. They advertise the mxl-6s, the LCG chassis, the GTR shocks, etc..., but not this. That makes me think that power-wise, it's about the same as the 2-pole. I'm really interested to see some good tests.
    I'm sure they will advertise it at some point. They probably have to wait until most of the stores have it in stock and sell out of the older model. If they were to advertise it right now I believe customers would have the right to return the old model to the store because they did not get what they were promised. As it stands now, Traxxas has made no public mention of the new system, so if you buy a brand new Slash and realize it doesn't have a 4 pole system after you open it you are stuck with it.