RC poster

Overheating Issue, Help!!!

So I was running my Summit today, nothing different than any other run. Stock gearing, I have upgraded driveshafts, a heat sink on the motor, and thats pretty much it for hop ups. I drove using the series connector using two of the stock batteries (nothing wrong or different). The temperature outside was 85 degrees Fahrenheit, which is why I think this happened but I want peoples opinions regardless. Near the end of my run, the truck stops and wont move when i'm pushing on the throttle. The steering works fine but wont go. I walk over and it has the blinking red light which means heat problem. I touch the ESC and motor and they are both too hot to touch, so that's obviously the reason it turned off. My question is why did it do that? I'm guessing that the series speed created more heat and the 85 degree day just was too much and the little motor couldn't keep up with itself. I would love helpful info/tips/insights! Also, do I need to worry about damage to the truck or it's components? I ran inside, took the body off and put it in front of a huge fan which cooled it off in no time. Thanks for any help in advance!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Series running requires a smaller pinion or a larger spur... this is stated in the Revo manual for sure, might even say so in the Summit manual. Running twin packs in series doubles voltage and speed; which increases heat quite a bit.

To solve the issue, gear down. Adding fans like what most people want to do is not the proper way and will lead to premature electronics failure. Overheating just once can ruin things... I hope that has not happened here.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Tall grass will do it. Or even any surface not hard packed and flat, in combination with 14.8 volts. But I understand the buss kill about having to gear down when running, 3s, or 7.4 NiMH is series. You think to your self. "Isn't the point of more power from 3s or series running, to achieve higher speeds than stock." Not having to gear down and achieve the same dang speed.
    Those who forfeit liberty 4 security get neither

Be aware that the overheating protection is only for protection of the ESC and NOT the motor. The ESC will not know if the motor gets too hot.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Qualifier
    I now have a functioning slipper clutch, took a few times smoking it to get it adjusted properly, but it's better. Installed center diff, 500k way to thick. Still wheelies bad. But now that I put the gears back in the right place in tranny, and installed that 23T pinion WOW! This thing gets it on. Almost to fast. I'm going to run it hard on different terrain and monitor temp.
    Those who forfeit liberty 4 security get neither

RC Competitor
    Buying a fan might work a bit.

RC Champion
    Gear down dude. This is the only right way to do it.