RC poster

Crashes and motors

Something I thought I would mention is that when you crash, even if its just a slight bump, you need to at least spin the props by hand and take a good look at the prop shafts. They are soft and can bend easily. All it takes is the prop hitting something. Even though sometimes the wobble will not be too noticeable and she still flys, it will rob you of power and most likely cause the motors to wear quicker. By spinning the props you can also feel if you have damaged a bearing. They also are easily damaged. I keep plenty of both on hand.

RC poster
    I just realized last night that I had a bent prop shaft. I must have been with it for a few months cuz it's been that long since I wrecked it bad. I've been flying it like I know what I'm doing lately. I could tell for a while, from looking at the quad when it lands that there was a slight wobble to a prop. Very very slight. I was na´ve that it could hurt anything. I have some coming in tomorrow. But i took them out lastnight and it's about impossible to tell by eye. I set 2 up next to each other and took a picture (everything on a flat surface that I checked with level) zoomed in on the picture and I could kinda tell. I used a cropping tool and I kinda thought I noticed. It wasn't till I put the one I thought was bent into the opposite side and it did the wobble.
    I was just bored and wanted to tear it down and check. Even though I pretty much knew and ordered two sets a few days ago.
    My question is, how would I know the bearings are going bad?

RC poster
    If it makes a difference, It doesn't wobble in the air. I would only notice when i would look down at it when after it landed and by looking at the screw that screwed the prop to the shaft, I could see a little wobble. But I couldn't tell any difference in flight. Only that I've gotten better. I Fly in expert 1 all the times. I've Had micro motors for about a month. Fly approximately 4-6 batteries throughout a day. Practically every day. Can't wait to fly it with new shafts now. Just wondering how to tell if bearings are bad? Or going bad?

RC poster
    I have started using the new "Blue" shafts. I do not now yet if they are any stronger. Has anybody else tried the new shafts?
    I am also using the Boca sealed bearings.

RC poster
    When I replaced one of my shafts the bearing just fell apart. They must be pretty weak also. I really never had a bad crash but bumped into a few things in the back yard.

As far as the blue ones I don't be they are any stronger. Just blue anodized.

The good thing is, other than the motors, the Alias parts are cheap. I think if they would lower the motors to $5 a piece people would not mind replacing them so often.