Thread: Bearings????

RC Competitor

Bearings????

Building a new lcg truck and decided to check the bearings , no grease to be found. Is there a bearing out there that comes full of grease ? . Thought the traxxas ones where just cheap like that then checked my kings heads bearings they were the same?

RC Racer
    they come lightly greased it definately wouldn't hurt to pull the blue rings on anybearing when you get it and pack them full this will also help keep moisture out and extend the life of your bearing...

RC Competitor
    you are not kidding when you say lightly greased

RC Qualifier
    bearings generally aren't grease packed, but oiled.
    avid makes a nice long lasting bearing for a decent price.

RC Racer
    in my experience there is no such thing as a long lasting bearing.... i have used avid and i have used boca and stainless steel and a set of ceramics and none of them stay smooth for long... they all wear... they are all exposed to the elements... they do last longer if you take your truck apart after every run and clean them and re-grease them.... but i don't think they last so long that its worth all the trouble when they are like 1.00 or less if you buy in bulk... the best thing you can do is get a lot of bearings for whatever you consider to be cheap or what fits into your budget... i buy more bearings and servo gear sets than anything... now after i have a stock of used dirty bearings that i pull out of my truck i do take the blue shields off and soak and clean the bearings but i usually pick a night when i have nothing going on or am watching a movie, and i put the good ones back into rotation for bit after they are clean and regreased... and this way i can re-use the still good ones and get the most from my bearings overall without taking my truck apart after every run...

RC Qualifier
    I think boca uses grease in some of their bearings. They're pricey but good ones. Can't hurt to pack them with grease and see what happens, as long as the grease doesn't get slung all over everything else

RC Champion
    Just a basher here dirt only. DON"T PACK EM. I have bearing problems SOONER if they are packed versus just enough to coat the balls inside. Don't know why but my bearings last longer if I put just enough grease to coat the balls rather than completely filling the inside of the bearing.

RC Qualifier
    You can get bearing oil and clean them then add a little bearing oil. Don't know where you'd get some though, maybe boca or other rc bearing companies sell it. Sorry didn't mean to say pack the bearing full of grease, just a little bit like pro mod Steve says if you want to try it. I think bearing oil specific to rc bearing may work good too