RC Competitor

LiPo bad or just me?

Hello All

So been running my Stampede VXL for a couple of weeks. I have a decent charger, X1 Tech and a couple Traxxas NiMH batteries which have been decent. So after reading the number of suggestions for LiPo I finally took the jump in but seem to have some issues.

I have a 7.4v 5000mAh 25c 37Wh LiPo.

I set the charger for 5a and 7.4v (2S) on the charger setting and went to about 2500. The charger said it was full and after I turned on LVD and put in the truck and would turn on for a few secs then shut off. I assume because it is not a full, but I am not sure what to do now. I don't have a multimeter yet, not sure if I should try and charge again or discharge?

Another question, should I always use 5a for anything I do with my charger, storage , balance, discharge?

RC Champion
    You may have the charger on life battery mode which can be easily switched. If your charger has a balance mode then use that to charge and balance at the same time. 5a is ok for charging, storage or discharge.
    Revo 2.5 upgraded to 3.3.

RC Competitor
    Thanks, so even if the charger said it was full and stopped at 2500, (on Lipo charger setting). It should still go to 5000 before stopping? I won't do any damage trying to charge it again, this time on balance? I just quickly checked the volts on both cells through the charger and they are at 4.19, which I think is ok. So I just I guess either my lipo isn't fully charged or it is something with my ESC / Pede.

RC Racer
    Storage mode?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    The mAh level does not matter... NEVER charge by mAh, only voltage!! If the cells read ~4.2, the pack was fully charged.

You may not see full capacity unless you fully discharge the cells... as in down to 3v/cell; which takes special equipment to do so safely, not an RC... and then fully recharge to 4.2v/cell. But, if the mAh count is way low when charging from LVC (usually around 3.4v/cell) the pack is probably reached the end of its cycle life.

Squeegie:
    In order to safely store your LiPo packs (storage is considered any period of non-use longer than 30-48 hours) they need to be put at storage voltage. Good chargers have this feature... it automatically reduces or increases voltage to be around 3.8v/cell.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Competitor
    Jimmy, thanks again for responding. I have seen your comment before about mAh level does matter and not to charge by it. I guess I am just having a hard time understanding what or how I should charge. Again, still understanding this, but with the charger (charge or balance option) I have to select Amp and Volt (so 7.4v S2). Unless I am completely off and I have to change the programing on my charger I am not totally understanding. (Err, it will click for me at some point)

As far as the battery goes right now, if each cell (per the charger) is saying 4.19 per cell, sounds like it is fully charged? Then I need to figure out something with the Pede \ ESC being a issue? As a quick test, I disabled the Low Voltage detection on the ESC and the steering and throttle worked. Only when I turned on the Low Voltage Detection, it will power up, flash red once and then shut off. I thought or seemed like a battery issues. I only have 1 LiPo at the moment, so haven't been able to test with another one yet. Was going to take it by my local hobby\rc shop and see if they could test it.

1) Make sure you are balance charging.
    2) Turn off capacity limitations if your charger is capable.
    3) Select your S count/voltage.
    4) Select your amp (mAh / 1,000).
    5) Start your charge.

If the pack is at 4.2v/cell, it is fully charged.

I am not sure what is happening with your ESC.

RC Competitor
    So went to my local hobby shop with my truck and the battery in question. He saw the same problem I did, he even checked the voltage and seemed like the battery was fully charged.

So he grabbed a new Traxxas LiPo and worked with no problem (both a S2 and S3). So seems like something wrong with the battery, going to get a S2 or S3 traxxas LiPo. Will have to take the other battery back to the other shop I bought it from.
    Last edited by woody131; 06-17-2014 at 08:14 PM.
    Stampede 4x4 VXL - 1\16 Grave Digger

2S and 3S.... just so you know.

Glad you got it figured out... I wonder what is going on with that pack? Hopefully the LHS you take it back to treats you right!

RC Qualifier
    one thing to remember when you get a new battery is the batt will be around 50% which is where you store lipo's. when i got mine they said like 3.8v. so the first time you charge it. the charger will only goto like 2500mah out of 5000, since it was half charged aleady

RC Competitor
    Lol, thanks Jimmy didn't realize I typo'd that.

Skmfkr - Ya, was like that when I got it, but after I charged it the volt on each cell showed 4.19 and seemed like it was good. The shop right near me (not the place I bought the battery) even said it should be charged and didn't understand why the truck wouldn't run. Work on the Lipos he had there. Odd, but going to try and take it back and see if the other shop has an idea or at least swap it out.

The battery in question is a Duratrax LiPo, not sure if there has been issues running them with Pede

RC Qualifier
    im not sure how shipping is from US to CA, but look into spc and smc batts

http://spcracingbatteries.com
    http://www.smc-racing.net/

they have the 8200 50c 2s packs on sale right now. thats the first lipo i ever bought after doing my research before i bought my first hobby grade rc and lipo

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    Squeegie:
    In order to safely store your LiPo packs (storage is considered any period of non-use longer than 30-48 hours) they need to be put at storage voltage. Good chargers have this feature... it automatically reduces or increases voltage to be around 3.8v/cell.
    Thanks. Just thought the OP may have accidentally set the charger to Storage Charge and not Full Charge...

FYI: I may be sending you a PM sometime in the future. I just ordered some SPC LiPo batts / power supply and iCharger 206B for my MERV. I'm new to LiPos and might have some questions for you since you have this charger... after I thoroughly read the manual of course. We'll see!

RC Competitor
    So finally had a chance to take my LiPo that was causing me issues to the shop I got it from. I like this shop as he pretty knowledgeable. Basically got the battery working in my truck, he thought the battery some how got over charged. So he turned off the low voltage dedection, ran the truck (holding it) to drop the voltage. Turned on the low voltage again and stayed green and no problems. I thought the earlier voltage I saw (at the start of the thread) was right but I might have been wrong.

So I ran the truck tonight, no problems and will make sure I only charge on balance.

RC Competitor
    Ugh, so after having 2 LiPo's (Traxxas and other brand) charged them both on balance, same problem happened again. After confirming on a different traxxas truck that the same batteries worked with out a problem and both showed the correct voltages, only thing left is a issue with the ESC. So i will be calling Traxxas tomorrow and may end up that i have to RMA it and get a new one. So far everyone i have talked to and seen the issue in person says it is a odd one.

RC Competitor
    I figured I would keep updating this thread in case anyone gets a odd issues like this.

So I called Traxxas, explained all the issues , what I tested, etc and basically said I need to RMA the ESC back to them. Sigh, being in Canada it probably means I am out for a few weeks while my ESC is gone and wait to get it back or a new one. The person I spoke to thinks the ESC could be just out of sort a little and is thinking for some reason a fully charged 2s is a low volt 3s and that is why it is shutting down.

So sucks I am out of a Pede for a few weeks.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by woody131 View Post
    I figured I would keep updating this thread in case anyone gets a odd issues like this.

So I called Traxxas, explained all the issues , what I tested, etc and basically said I need to RMA the ESC back to them. Sigh, being in Canada it probably means I am out for a few weeks while my ESC is gone and wait to get it back or a new one. The person I spoke to thinks the ESC could be just out of sort a little and is thinking for some reason a fully charged 2s is a low volt 3s and that is why it is shutting down.

So sucks I am out of a Pede for a few weeks.
    Im in the same boat man, and my brother too. I ripped the servo internals to shreds, and my brother seized a bearing in his castle motor... Im claiming a minimum of 2 weeks sadly

RC Competitor
    So Traxxas got my Stampede ESC and said they couldn't find a issue with it, yet 2 different hobby shops tested with there own LiPos and got the same issue as I did. So not sure what changed from when I sent my ESC to traxxas and them testing it. Anyways, not to happy, considering I shipped it there fast, I don't suspect I will get it back before I have to go away (with my Pede). So I guess I am going to look at other options for a ESC and Motor to get up and running and not have the same problem before.

RC Qualifier
    Can you trade in that ESC and pay a lesser amount for a new one? i.e. tell Traxxas to keep it and send you a new one- how much would that cost? I wouldn't want that ESC back, sounds like its an intermittent problem which could give you problems in the future even if it works when you get it back.

If you wanna spend more $$ just send in your motor too and get one of the new 4-pole systems!

RC Competitor
    Because I am in Canada I can't do the trade in/up program Traxxas has, otherwise I would have gone with the new Traxxas 4pole motor/ESC. I ended up getting a Castle 3800 / SCT ESC and got it installed yesterday. It will be another week or 2 before I get my old ESC in the mail back from traxxas.

RC Competitor
    So I figured I would do one last update. Since I posted, I went with a Castle Sidewinder V3 ESC and 3800 motor and have had no problems with running 2 different types of 2s cell batteries . I am glad to no that my charging of the LiPo batteries is not an issue and the new Castle ESC is not a issue. I did get back my Traxxas ESC that they tested and said there was no issue, only to confirm it is still an issue and wont work with the same liPo batteries.

I have read many good things about Traxxas support, but I wish they would have spent more time in dealing with the issue I had instead of brushing me off and me going to another brand of ESC/Motor to resolve my issue.