RC poster

Aeromarine collet

Got a question about the aeromarine 3 piece collet for those that run one, I purchased one along with the OSE strut and .187 prop shaft kit. My question is how the brass insert goes in there, does the tapered end go towards the motor or towards the rear of the boat? I had the tapered end in the motor side of the collet and couldn't seem to get it to grab without tightening it up a decent amount (thought you just barely snug up these collets?) Any input is appreciated thanks

RC Qualifier
    Yes, slotted end toward motor.
    If your flex is inserted far enough into the collet, it should only take a good snug to secure it.
    The first time may take an extra bit of tightening to get things seated.
    hog

RC poster
    Awesome thank you for the quick reply hog. About how far does your flex go into the collet? Looks like I got it in about a 1/4". Also, do you know if the gap between the OSE strut and drive dog are the same as factory specs? I am at about 7mm with the flex as far in as I can get it. Thanks!

RC Qualifier
    1/4" is maybe a bit shy. I found on a new collet I sometimes had to gently spread the "fingers" on the insert and leave it very loose the first time I inserted the flex to allow it to easily slide in to the full depth.

The gap at drive dog and strut should be approx. 2-3mm, a bit more is ok, you just want enough to compensate for torque shrinkage on the flex cable.

New flex cables are not always exactly the same length, so sometimes you have a little extra gap, or a little less going into the collet.

Cables that are too long can be trimmed, but, if they need more than a couple mm trimmed off, they can be tricky to solder the cut end to prevent fraying. (I find them difficult to get clean enough to get the solder to flow in and stick well)

Hog

Note: measure the collet insert while you have it out, that will give you an exact measurement on the maximum depth.
    Also check to see if there are any brass burrs left on the insert from the manufacturing process. These can cause binding and prevent the flex from inserting easily, and cause binding when removing the flex.
    Last edited by hog; 06-17-2014 at 11:05 AM.