RC poster

Motors not spinning

Hi everyone. I'm hoping this isn't a full set of bad motors but something maybe I missed, here is what happened. Unboxed the new Alias yesterday, charged the battery and ran about 5 minutes. Put it away. I went to run it again today and nothing is spinning. I arm it, the blue light is solid but when I give it throttle there is no response whatsoever. I thought, maybe 5 minutes was too long for the battery (even thought the telemetry on the radio says 100% still, so I topped it off. Same result. I have reset the radio (power on while holding the ALT buttons) with the same result. I have also reset the accelerometer with the same results. Anyone have any ideas before I call support? It sounds to me like maybe the ESC?

Thanks,
    Anthony

RC Racer
    I was going to ask you if you pushed in the throttle and armed it, but you flew it for 5 minutes so you already know to do that. I do remember another member who had a similar problem. his wasn't arming when he pushed it in, until he just decided to push it in hard, then it worked fine after that. you have covered all the possible options that you have available to you , so before you try and push the throttle down hard, you should probably call support and let them see if there are other options that they can help you with?
    I doubt that all four motors went at one time and I have never seen a report of that, this seems electronic to me. it is more likely that one motor went completely dead and the other three are responding to it, but I really think this will end up being some kind of electronic issue... support will know when you talk to them.
    Think YELLOW Traxxas, please make a YELLOW Alias.

RC Racer
    Yeah I had similar thoughts. I had a radio that was very difficult to arm and your situation sounds like not-armed. The obvious question, does it make a beep when you push in the left stick to arm it?

If it definitely is arming try a dip test. While holding it it from underneath, give it half throttle and tilt the platform so that one motor is much lower than the others. That motor should spin up as the quad tries to self-level. You do that test for each of the motors. One bad motor will show itself. But if none spin up, sounds like a contact-Traxxas problem to me.

RC poster
    So I called tech support today. Looks like I was holding the right stick in too long while arming it. The radio was going into programming mode. Andrew (great tech) had me just click it quickly and everything was good again.

RC Competitor
    This seems to be the place for a nice segué to an interesting situation I had yesterday evening. I had flown my Alias until the first battery ran out. I replaced it, fired up the system, and the two left side rotors refused to spin normally. "What the . . . ?

I played around with my Alias, including starting the motors and inputting a twist or spin command. The two left side rotors spun up only under certain control inputs, but other than that, it would 'disarm' after a few seconds. VERY strange . . .

"Hmmm . . . okay, start from scratch." I turned off the transmitter and unplugged the battery. Then I turned on the transmitter then plugged in the battery. I armed it and gave it some throttle.

Success! All four rotors spun up and it was back to flying as normal.