RC Competitor

My start into racing and progress thread with frequent updates.

Background: 34 years old, never had an RC my whole life. Received a Slash 4x4 VXL Blah Edition May/2014. Did some bashing for a week, then got into racing and have not looked back since.

I plan on updating this thread as I replace or upgrade parts on the car and give some thoughts of the items that I am using.

First race (Get Some Raceway): Bone stock, stock setting for suspension and all. 2s lipo (no RC racing experience ever) Small track. Fastest guy at the race does it 15ish seconds...so I guess his average would be 17.5ish. My times..29 -35 seconds.

Later during the day, the "fast guy" helped me with the suspension, moved the lowers out one hole and adjusted my spring rate and rebound. got my times to sit roughly 27-31.

Finished 3rd out of 6 guys in the 4x4 SCT....Good right? Um, no, the 3 guys I beat ended up breaking something so they couldn't finish. lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=XC1xqwWllrY
    you can see me (fluorescent yellow/red) in the first few seconds of the video...you'll know it's me, I'm the one flipping and flying through the jumps and turns all wrong.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Second race (The Grove): Still stock. Upgraded my tires to some Duratraxx Shotguns (rear) Posse (fronts) both just soft compound.

Fastest guy averages 19-22...so I say about 21.5ish. My times were 24-30. But by the end of the night I was averaging 28 seconds.

Finished 9th out of 11...other 2 broke! lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZIb8aWdDek
    I'm not in this video but just posting to give you an idea of the track.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Third race (PhatBottom): Still stock, tires proline calibers m3 f/r, aka wishbones, duratrax shotguns/posse

Fastest guy 22 seconds..average 24ish. My times 32-41...couldn't get the tires to hook no matter which tires I tried. It was tough to pick tires because half of the track was dried out and the other half was still moist because it was shaded. plus the back straight had a horrible set of 4 jumps that I couldn't figure out.

Finished 6th/8. I actually beat 2 guys. I smacked their radio out of their hands during the race! jk

Here are the parts that I have recently purchased and waiting for them to come in the mail.

SSC LCG
    RPM front arms
    Proline body mounts
    Proline Pro Spec F/R shocks
    Tekin RX8 Gen2 ESC
    Tekin Pro4HD 4300kv
    Savox 1258tg (I should have gone with the Savox 1233sg)
    Boca Bearings ceramic bearings all around
    XO-1 Spline CVD
    XO-1 Carriers and hubs (I wish they came in red for cheap)
    Hot Racing sway bars
    Tires - Proline Calibers, AKA Wishbones, Duratrax Posse and Shotguns. They have worked well for me on the 3 tracks I have been on.

I travel all over the US for business, so I will be visiting local tracks to run at. I will be going to RC Madness (Enfield CT) and RC Excitement (Central Mass) in the next week. They both looks like good tracks, I will give my review once I have run them. Will post pics of all tracks I have attended and give my review of the track and the crowd that attends these locations.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-23-2014 at 07:55 AM. Reason: merge

RC Champion
    If you ever make it to southeastern iowa make sure to visit iowa fast track! I've been racing 2 years now and I'm still on a learning curve. Do you take your entire workshop to the track like I do?
    1:16 Slash VXL
    Stampede 4x4 3800kv
    Rustler VXL

RC Enthusiast
    Doing great! Subscribing

RC Champion
    Around Houston there's plenty of tracks. I've only driven at the M&M hobby center with my dex410 v3 but I plan to race either this weekend or the next.
    Revo 2.5 upgraded to 3.3.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimdog View Post
    If you ever make it to southeastern iowa make sure to visit iowa fast track! I've been racing 2 years now and I'm still on a learning curve. Do you take your entire workshop to the track like I do?
    My workshop consist of only a Husky tool bag. Has 3 sets of tires, my tool kit, some spare parts and a lot of hope! lol How far is it from Des Moines? I know I have to go there.

Quote Originally Posted by ManDime View Post
    Around Houston there's plenty of tracks. I've only driven at the M&M hobby center with my dex410 v3 but I plan to race either this weekend or the next.
    I'll be in Dallas end of July, I may have something come up to where I have to be in Houston. I will meet you there if you let me charge my batteries on your newly acquired charger? lol

RC Champion
    Lol yea forgot to mention the charger came in yesterday. I have absolutely no idea what my July schedule looks like. Probably lots of work lol.

RC Competitor

Updated June 15th (Fathers day...happy fathers day to you fathers out there)

Here is my current situation. I have everything installed that I can possibly install at the moment. I'm missing one RPM side bumper...I think my daughter may have ate it :shrugs:

Haven't installed the Pro Specs yet because I'm waiting on oil, but I believe I plan on running 60wt in front and 50 or 55wt in the back. I know most guys that are running the \\\\x4 and are running anywhere from 30-45 rear and 35-50 front. Reason for me running a higher weight because from the chassis swap, my truck weighs in at 6.07 pounds RTR. Where as a RTR LCG is about 5.8 pounds. I will go from there.

Zipties on the axles are to hold the bearings in place until I get my Traxxas wheel hex (6mm ones to adapt to the xo-1 CVD's)

Last edited by NoobRacer; 06-15-2014 at 08:46 PM.

RC Champion
    Looking great! If you want to shave off some weight put on some RPM and A-arms. How does that chassis handle?
    Slash 4x4 LCG, Rusty VXL(not runnin), and my bike.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by sean1214 View Post
    Looking great! If you want to shave off some weight put on some RPM and A-arms. How does that chassis handle?
    I have A arms from RPM on the front, but I am not too convinced they save weight, I recently had the RPM front bumper on and finally took it off to weigh it, it was 89 grams, the stock bumper weighed in at 64 grams. I haven't weighed the RPM, maybe I should, because I did get the thought that they were lighter...but I can say they are stronger!

I'm not totally sure how the chassis is just yet, I had some eBay booboo shocks on for a week so I can't give you a decent answer. But I can say, the ebay aluminum no name shocks are booboo!!!!!!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by NoobRacer View Post
    My workshop consist of only a Husky tool bag. Has 3 sets of tires, my tool kit, some spare parts and a lot of hope! lol How far is it from Des Moines? I know I have to go there.

I'll be in Dallas end of July, I may have something come up to where I have to be in Houston. I will meet you there if you let me charge my batteries on your newly acquired charger? lol
    I bring a generator, table, tent, soldering station, all my tools, my charger, spare parts (totaling 3 different toolboxes), my battery box and of course my 3 rc cars.

If I can fix it at home then I can fix it at the track.
    Stampede 4x4 3800kv
    Rustler VXL

RC Champion
    I bring a generator, table, tent, soldering station, all my tools, my charger, spare parts (totaling 3 different toolboxes), my battery box and of course my 3 rc cars.

If I can fix it at home then I can fix it at the track.

... Wow... I have yet to spend a whole day at the track but I've never thought about bringing a soldering station.

RC Competitor
    Same here, well, that's because I don't know how to solder anyways! that's probably why. lol

RC Champion
    You'd be surprised how often a wire comes loose or somebody else needs to do some soldering. As for the generator. I'm kind of a free power outlet for other racers. Sometimes there are 4 other "teams" running off my generator. People at my track tend to group up for pits. So I may be powering 6-7 people's chargers.
    You might find someone like me at your track and you don't need to bring a generator.
    Stampede 4x4 3800kv
    Rustler VXL

RC Competitor
    OK, so I was bored so I figured I'd weigh some stuff out. Stock A Arms vs RPM A Arms. Stock front bumper vs RPM front bumper.

Stock A Arms - 21 grams. 84 grams for all 4
    RPM A Arms - 14 grams. 56 grams for all 4.
    Weight savings of 28 grams if you installed RPM A Arms all around

Stock bumper 52 grams
    RPM bumper 83 grams
    weight difference of 31 grams

Stock bumper/stock A arms = 136 grams
    Stock bumper/RPM A arms = 108 grams (lightest of the combos)
    RPM bumper/RPM A arms = 139 grams
    RPM bumper/Stock A Arms = 167 grams (heaviest of the combos)

On a side note, the RPM A arms are starting to flex and have a slight curve to them. I have read about this and was worried it would start happening to mine. If it gets worst, I will contact RPM or just put stock arms back on because I'm sure if the arms start getting too bent, it effects my suspension and steering.

You'd be surprised how often a wire comes loose or somebody else needs to do some soldering. As for the generator. I'm kind of a free power outlet for other racers. Sometimes there are 4 other "teams" running off my generator. People at my track tend to group up for pits. So I may be powering 6-7 people's chargers.
    You might find someone like me at your track and you don't need to bring a generator.
    You're right about the wires coming loose though, had a friend at the race yesterday and 3 of his battery connectors came loose (deans) bad luck, poor solder, cold solder...who knows, who cares, he lost 3 of the races because of a solder.

Look at what came in today! Still waiting on my RX8 gen2 though. So hopefully it'll come in today.

Got some more stuff in with a late delivery!

Here is a side by side comparison of the stock Traxxas 2075 servo vs the Savox 1258tg. Hooked up to the same reciever. sorry for the quality, camera phone.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-23-2014 at 07:53 AM. Reason: merge

RC Competitor
    Question...Now I have been watching videos of other vehicles using the 1258tg. Theirs seems so much faster than the one you see in my video. Steering sensitivity perhaps?

RC Champion
    Its probably just their tx/rx is a higher quality or they have a better bec. Never know unless you ask.

RC Competitor
    Maybe, but I never had my wheels on to turn them and currently haven't changed my steering sensitivity to get a better look, but just by my video, it is already quicker. Maybe when I see the other videos, they all have their tires mounted so the transition is more pronounced.

What oil weight are you guys using for your shocks? I've been seeing 30-50 for the rear and 35-60 fronts. I know I have to put a little higher weight in mine due to the 1 pound difference than the stock weight of the Slash 4x4.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-23-2014 at 07:51 AM. Reason: merge

RC Enthusiast
    I think you can put 7,4V to the sav÷x, that will make it much faster

RC Competitor
    Will it burn it out? I can set my ESC to 7.4. but that's to my receiver, will it regulate it back down to 6v?

NVM, did quick research, no one has had an issue running it at 7.4v
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-23-2014 at 07:51 AM. Reason: merge

RC Champion
    How much did you pay for the servo? Thanks for the comparison video, now your making me wanna spend more money. lol

RC Champion
    That's a cool side by side comparison. Your 1258tg looks to be pretty fast at .10 sec 6V

I have a Savox 225SG, at 0.85 sec 6V it is pretty fast. Here is a video for your reference

I recently picked up a Hitec 8360TH, at .07 sec 6V, it's blistering fast!

http://hitecrcd.com/products/servos/...-servo/product

I've considered slowing my s6040 spectrum down, the .08 transit is a bit to fast imo, this was causing issue driving near 100mph.
    At the very least the expo needs to be turned up imo.
    Sometimes I think to fast is worse then to slow.
    ViperZ that gyro is cheating.
    Last edited by billy-bones; 06-17-2014 at 11:23 PM.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Competitor
    How much did you pay for the servo? Thanks for the comparison video, now your making me wanna spend more money. lol
    The servo cost me 60 bucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    That's a cool side by side comparison. Your 1258tg looks to be pretty fast at .10 sec 6V

I have a Savox 225SG, at 0.85 sec 6V it is pretty fast. Here is a video for your reference

I hope to heck that it isn't .10 @6v. Pulled the specs off the Savox site.
    Dimensions(mm): 40.3x20.2x37.2
    Weight(g): 52.4
    Speed(@4.8V sec/60): .10
    Torque(@4.8V oz-in): 133.3
    Speed(@6.0V sec/60): .08
    Torque(@6.0V oz-in): 166.6
    Gear: Titanium & Aluminum
    Bearing: 2BB
    Case: Aluminum
    25 Tooth Spline
    Frequency: 250-333hz
    Pulse Width Frequency: 1520

How are you liking the 8360th? Is it power hungry like the 1258tg?

Now I want to sell the savox to get the Hitec!!!
    Last edited by NoobRacer; 06-18-2014 at 12:16 AM.

RC Champion

Have you tried the gyro on your ultimate?

NoobRacer, do you have a picture of the truck when it is together with a body on?

RC Qualifier
    I think you must mean 0.085 sec@6V because almost a full second to go side to side would be pretty slow! lol

RC Competitor
    @sean1214, I'm waiting on my 12mm wheel hex to come in, in order for me to mount wheels on the xo-1 axles and soldering work, and also waiting for the team losi oil for my shocks to come in...hopefully today. But I'll warn you guys, my body isn't pretty at all! lol Looks more like I'm into demolition derby than racing! lol

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    I've considered slowing my s6040 spectrum down, the .08 transit is a bit to fast imo, this was causing issue driving near 100mph.
    At the very least the expo needs to be turned up imo.
    Sometimes I think to fast is worse then to slow.
    ViperZ that gyro is cheating.
    That's what I like about Expo and dual rates. I have about 40% Exponential set for the XO, and dual rate is adjusted as needed.

On the gyro, You call it cheating, I call it more tools at my disposal

I hope to heck that it isn't .10 @6v. Pulled the specs off the Savox site.
    Dimensions(mm): 40.3x20.2x37.2
    Weight(g): 52.4
    Speed(@4.8V sec/60): .10
    Torque(@4.8V oz-in): 133.3
    Speed(@6.0V sec/60): .08
    Torque(@6.0V oz-in): 166.6
    Gear: Titanium & Aluminum
    Bearing: 2BB
    Case: Aluminum
    25 Tooth Spline
    Frequency: 250-333hz
    Pulse Width Frequency: 1520

How are you liking the 8360th? Is it power hungry like the 1258tg?

Now I want to sell the savox to get the Hitec!!!
    Ha, yes, dumb typing, I meant 0.08sec

I haven't road tested the 8360TH yet, however even though it is only -0.01 faster, it seems like it's different class of fast compared to the Savox. I use Hitec servos in my RC Pylon racing planes, that are similar in speed. I really like Hitecs. Just wanted to try something different for the RC cars.

Have you tried the gyro on your ultimate?
    No, but I have thought about buying some more just to play with

Quote Originally Posted by mikekoz68 View Post
    I think you must mean 0.085 sec@6V because almost a full second to go side to side would be pretty slow! lol
    Indeed I did

RC Competitor
    Finally got the ESC/motor mounted and soldered. Still haven't been able to run the car due to waiting for my 12mm aluminum hex..blah. Found out the center driveshaft is really weak and has a wobble, so I ordered the Tekno center dogbone to replace it, hopefully the stock one will hold up until it gets here.

@Billy-bones...I sent you a PM, please let me know if you received it. Thanks. Not sure if my pms are working since I don't see anything in my sent box.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-23-2014 at 07:50 AM. Reason: merge

RC Champion
    Very nice thread. I would love to get into the racing action too. Unfortunately the place the races are at is about 84km away. Went the other day and it was awesome, apparently the biggest RC camp in Canada (9 tracks in all).

After having read your thread, not sure what I had missed but could not see your gearing specs with that motor. And what are the temps like.

Very nice build
    Live life to the fullest

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jezza View Post
    After having read your thread, not sure what I had missed but could not see your gearing specs with that motor. And what are the temps like.

Very nice build
    Well, with the stock Velineon system in the stock Traxxas chassis I was running 13/54, my motor temps were around 150. I had a heatsink and fan on it. I have yet to run the Tekin pro4hd 4300 on the track yet, but my gearing is 16/54, with the SSC LCG I would think my temps should be 130-140ish since the aluminum frame should drop my temps anywhere from 20-30 degrees. I'll get a better idea this weekend since I have 3 races to attend. So hopefully my center shaft will hold up.

Finally!!! My hex's came in! Along with my Losi shock oil, Tekin Hotwire module, TQI docking base (came with the whole controller for 20 bucks) thermal sensor.

Ok, here's my ever so awesome body! lol, I bought it for 5 bucks at a recent race. Got everything put together and running, gonna go to the track to test and tune, will update tonight.

Last edited by cooleocool; 06-23-2014 at 07:49 AM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    That looks like the JConcepts Truth V2 body. I have the same one and love it. It's been the most durable body I've ever had. And for $5, you got a great deal. Great thread, thanks for the pictures!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by OSU Beaver 99 View Post
    That looks like the JConcepts Truth V2 body. I have the same one and love it. It's been the most durable body I've ever had. And for $5, you got a great deal. Great thread, thanks for the pictures!
    I guess it is, I was looking to finding out what body it was but it's hard to tell after my awesome paint job. But the body IS very durable. How does one trim it or does it come precut?

RC Champion
    I guess it is, I was looking to finding out what body it was but it's hard to tell after my awesome paint job. But the body IS very durable. How does one trim it or does it come precut?

I use serrated scissors to make cuts with lexan. The corners come out slightly wavy but that can be sanded down. The scissors cut smoother than anything I have.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ManDime View Post
    I use serrated scissors to make cuts with lexan. The corners come out slightly wavy but that can be sanded down. The scissors cut smoother than anything I have.
    You cut "Truth V2" body with the Lexan? This is super thick. BTW, empty out your Inbox, it won't let me reply to you says your box is full.

weighing in at 5 pounds and 14oz RTR minus shell, which should put it at 6 pounds and 4 ounces...yes, the shell I have now is hefty

Got bored and had left over paint...

Ran it some today with the new Proline Prospecs. Ran 40wt all around, used it as a starting point. Have 2 races tomorrow, so I will get more feedback tomorrow once the springs set in.

I'm also really liking the sway bars in front and rear...hard for rear and medium for the fronts.

The Calibers worked well, a little too well, I left calibers in front and put the Duratrax Posse (soft) on the rear...ran perfect. I needed the tires to kick out a little vs pushing it cause of too much grip, it was more of a technical track I practiced on.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-23-2014 at 07:45 AM. Reason: merge

RC Champion
    You cut "Truth V2" body with the Lexan? This is super thick. BTW, empty out your Inbox, it won't let me reply to you says your box is full.

yea I'll empty it soon. Nice looking truck tho.

RC Competitor
    Raced at "The Grove" in Rock Hill SC. Raced in Novice of course, since I'm a newbie. Anywho, I actually did good today, finished....1ST!!!!!!

Setup:
    Caliber F/R supersoft
    40wt in the Pro specs all around
    SMC 6000mah 80C
    brake 43%
    Steering sensitivity 0%
    Steering 100%
    Throttle sen 100%

JB is the name, I'm car number 7

The motor is a beast! I was clearing the triples that I normally hop 2 then roll on the 3rd with the velineon system on the same setup. I am however, VERY disappointed with Proline...not with the shocks but with the company. They sell the Pro specs with the worlds softest springs. My springs are maxed out and it was still bouncing back low. New springs are in order...does anyone know if the Power Strokes springs the same as the Pro Specs?

I'll be going to Columbia SC for "Bush River Raceway" tomorrow for their big race. Will post pics and status tomorrow.

So no one has Power strokes and Pro specs to see if the springs match?

NVM, I just ended up buying the red and purple all around.

Here's a good link to understanding suspension and set up.
    http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/BasicSuspensionTuning/

Raced at "Get Some" in Charlotte NC last night instead of Bush River due to oversleeping...dohhhh

I raced in the regular class this day, there wasn't a novice class. 10 4x4 SCT out there. Small tight track. Fast short track. Fastest time set on the track was 12.981...set down by a Tekno. Average lap times are 14ish. My fastest lap time of the night. 14.54. I finished 1st in my first 2 heats and 1st in the B main. Reason for having to race in the B main is because my first heat, my transponder fell out after the first 3 laps (which sucks because I was whooping butt in the first heat lol) Got to A Main and finished 3rd!!!! WOW! I didn't realize how much more aggressive the faster guys are than the novice guys lol.

Aside from getting the red/green LED on one of my transmitter, it was a good day.

Set Up:
    Proline Calibers M3 rear, AKA Wishbones supersoft fronts
    gearing 15/54 (I should have ran a 13 or 14 pinion)
    Shocks 40wt all around. Rear shocks, top outer hole, bottom is 2nd hole from outer. Fronts top center hole, bottoms are 3rd from outer.
    rx8 gen2, current limiter set to 80, braking 55%, no timing, neutral width 10, BL rev delay
    Tqi dock settings, steering sensitivity 50%, braking 12.3%, steering 92%, throttle sensitivity 100%
    Motor temps were no higher than 135...91 degrees or so outside. I run an Integy heatsink.
    Battery: SMC 6000mah 80c
    Battery positioned furthest to the rear.

"JB" is the name...as usual

Any questions or tips, feel free.

I will be racing at the State Championships at "The Warehouse RC Complex" in Haw River NC June 28th. Apparently I will be the only Traxxas guy running in the 4x4. So far 24 people in the 4x4 SCT. If I can rank in the top 15, I'll be happy. If I get in the top 10 I'd be ecstatic. If I get in the top 5....well, I'd be just dreaming then!

The event is being sponsered by JConcepts and Tekin. As usual, I will post results.....good luck to me, traxxas and the Malanie (that's what I named her)

Hard packed clay, so I assume med to hi traction, so I may try the AKA wishbones all around, anyone have suggestions? Definitely a smaller track, so I plan on doing 14 or 13 pinion with the 54 spur.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-23-2014 at 07:48 AM. Reason: merge & language abuse edit

RC Competitor
    Alright, this will probably be my last post on this forum, tired of getting infractions and warnings for lord knows what.

Setting my camber to -3 front and -2 rear, with the holes for the camber being lowest and closest to the shock tower.

Thank you all who have followed. I am active on facebook in the "slash 4x4" group, you can follow my progress there. But if you have any questions, you can PM me here.

Alright, this will probably be my last post on this forum, tired of getting infractions and warnings for lord knows what.

Setting my camber to -3 front and -2 rear, with the holes for the camber being lowest and closest to the shock tower.

Thank you all who have followed. I am active on facebook in the "slash 4x4" group, you can follow my progress there. But if you have any questions, you can PM me here.
    I'm sure I wouldn't consider ONE to be worthy of the above trolling post. WRT "lord knows what," if you take the time to read the rules sticky and the warning system sticky, you'd have no doubt where you went wrong.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = ░

RC Competitor
    Edited for bypassing the language filter and trolling.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-27-2014 at 07:11 AM.