Thread: Charging help

RC poster

Charging help

Hi everyone,

Sorry, I'm a newb at this. I had an RC car about 12 years ago and haven't touched one since. I am having issues with charging the Traxxas Series 1 battery. I have my charger set at 1.2mA and the voltage set at 7.4V. Once the battery once completed charging I hooked it up to the car and the esc would just blink red. Eventually I noticed that when it was charging, the voltage was getting up over 9V on the battery. I then discharged it down to about 8V and it worked fine in the car, but only lasted a couple minutes.

Sorry if this is a dumb mistake, I just need a push in the right direction I guess.

Thank you!

RC Racer
    Are you talking about the 6cell battery for the 1/16 cars? That's a 6 cell 7.2 Volt batt that I think is only 1200mah. Don't know what charger you are using but you can charge that at 2amps and its final voltage will be 8.4-9 V

Charging it at 1.2mA will take a few days to charge lol though I suspect you meant 1.2 amps. Getting over 9V for this batt is normal but if you are using it in a full sized erevo--its not gunna last! Do you have a 1/16 or a 1/10 Revo??

RC Qualifier
    General rule is to charge 1 amp x each 1000 mah, so at 1.2 amps should be fine, more than that it might cause the pack to overheat also it can shorten the battery life, it shouldn't take more than 1 hour to charge. Final Voltage should be around 9v you don't have to discharge it after it finish the process that's why it is not lasting.
    Last edited by NFS; 06-18-2014 at 10:52 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Full voltage for NiMH is ~1.5v/cell... so for a 6 cell full voltage would be around 9.6v.

NFS's statement about 1 amp per 1,000mAh is spot on. If you want your packs to last, do not exceed this charge rate for a NiMH pack.

What could have been happening with your ESC is over-voltage protection... but to be sure we would need to know what ESC you are using.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC poster
    Thanks for the response. Yeah I meant 1.2 amps lol sorry. I noticed I posted this in the wrong forum as well, sorry about that. I am using it in a 1/16. Maybe you're right Jimmie, it may be over voltage. I have the 1/16 VXL, not sure which ESC that uses, but I hope my little bit of info helps.

Also, I am using a Tenergy TB6B charger.