RC poster

Pleas help upgrade My Villain Iv

Just like the title says. Can someone please get me a parts list of what I need to upgrade my stock Traxxas Villain Iv.

So far I am looking at this ????
    http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...-C-1100&cat=16

And I already bough the cooling kit

I have had the boat for like 8 years. It has been sitting for 2 years and I want to get back into it. I have tried searching its just confusing me more the more I look.

Thanks a lot
    Last edited by Anythingcanhappen; 06-10-2014 at 10:47 PM.

RC Champion
    I would stay with stock props , it don't take much to ding up props , go with the Villain EX props for better speed and performance . imo
    1 Rusty VXL

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by rhardy60 View Post
    I would stay with stock props , it don't take much to ding up props , go with the Villain EX props for better speed and performance . imo
    I will not be driving it in shallow water. It will be mostly used in a big pool, lake Erie and ponds not around any beaches

I second the EX prop suggestion, as that is what I run on my upgraded IV. That prop kit would be another good option, though.

As for getting it running after several years of sitting, be sure to go through the drive train and inspect it well. Lubricate the drive shafts and the motor bushings, check for any binding, etc.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post
    I second the EX prop suggestion, as that is what I run on my upgraded IV. That prop kit would be another good option, though.

As for getting it running after several years of sitting, be sure to go through the drive train and inspect it well. Lubricate the drive shafts and the motor bushings, check for any binding, etc.

It works great I just used it yesterday.

How do I know what props I have now. It rips pretty good for what it is

Do I need the ex shafts as well or just the props?
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-13-2014 at 09:12 AM. Reason: merge

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Anythingcanhappen View Post
    Do I need the ex shafts as well or just the props?
    Just props . they'll fit right on . The EX props are bigger in size .
    1 Rusty VXL

RC poster
    Just props . they'll fit right on . The EX props are bigger in size .
    Another question. How do you get the props off? I took the allen head off on the prop and it would not pop off?

RC Champion
    Another question. How do you get the props off? I took the allen head off on the prop and it would not pop off?
    They unscrew after hex nut is loosen . the shafts are threaded . this it the pdf of drive . http://traxxas.com/sites/default/fil...-driveline.pdf part 1529 show the prop shaft .
    Last edited by rhardy60; 06-12-2014 at 07:20 PM.
    1 Rusty VXL

RC poster
    They unscrew after hex nut is loosen . the shafts are threaded . this it the pdf of drive . http://traxxas.com/sites/default/fil...-driveline.pdf part 1529 show the prop shaft .
    Still do not know and am still clueless. what hex nut? I see no hex nut on my boat. Just the small allen head

Still do not know and am still clueless. what hex nut? I see no hex nut on my boat. Just the small allen head
    That's what rhardy60 was referring to; the set screw/grub screw/allen head screw/etc.

Notice how the factory prop shafts depicted in the PDF file linked to above are threaded. The props actually screw on to the prop shafts and are then further secured with set screws. You need to remove the set screws and then unscrew the props from the prop shafts.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post
    That's what rhardy60 was referring to; the set screw/grub screw/allen head screw/etc.

Notice how the factory prop shafts depicted in the PDF file linked to above are threaded. The props actually screw on to the prop shafts and are then further secured with set screws. You need to remove the set screws and then unscrew the props from the prop shafts.
    I did and it will not turn. I removed the set screws then held the shaft behind the rudder and the prop would not budge. And yes I was turning them the right way. I will have to try some more

If I recall correctly, they will be on there pretty tight. (It has been a while since I've had to remove a prop from the factory prop shaft.)

RC Champion
    I did and it will not turn. I removed the set screws then held the shaft behind the rudder and the prop would not budge. And yes I was turning them the right way. I will have to try some more
    Then take the drive shaft off the u-joint and slide it out , then you'll be able to hold it better with pliers to unscrew the prop .
    look at the pdf i posted for you .
    1 Rusty VXL

If you use pliers, be sure that you do not damage or mar the smooth portion of the prop shafts if you plan on reusing them.