Thread: Battery

RC Competitor

Battery

Hi guys when i brought my spartan the local hobby shop sold me 2x 3s lipo 4200 30-60C batteries. Can any body recommend a good set of batteries as i want to have a second set so i can have more then one run with out having to drive home and charge my batteries also something with a longer run time. The batteries they sold me have plenty of power but do get abit hot. Does anyone know of a good set thats not going to cost a arm and a leg. Iv seen the ones that <banned brand name> sell but can there products be trusted. Also is there anyway of charging a set of batteries while I'm at the lake.

There is a certain site with their products that are banned from mentioning here. Please refrain from referencing them.
    Last edited by Double G; 06-11-2014 at 10:30 AM. Reason: content

RC Qualifier
    Generally we recommend 5000mah 40C or higher batteries for the Spartan as a starting point.

Going with higher mah rating will give you longer run times.

Charging at the lake depends on your charger. Many chargers have the option of hooking up to a 12v car battery for the source. If your charger has this ability, you can charge off your vehicle battery. If not you would have to source a new charger that provides this function.

hog

RC Racer
    Check out SPC Lipos. Many people have had great experiences with them and their prices are unbeatable....when they are in stock.

RC Qualifier
    The charging at the lake is easy as long as you have a 12v battery like hog mentioned. Also your charger has to have a DC input. Battery wise I liked Traxxas batts until they puffed the batts I got from the dealer you mentioned... also puffed. I would suggest Max Amps due to their high c rating. I would also suggest Thunder Power batteries a little pricy though but speed costs money. Make sure you get 40c or higher for the amp hungry Spartan.
    Powered by Castle.....

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the help guys. Just wondering if i got a set of 2s lipos and changed between my 3s and a set of 2s lipos would this cause any problems or should i stick with 3s.

RC Qualifier
    You can switch it up without problems.
    Stock ESC is set auto-detect the battery voltage and set the lvc etc accordingly.
    hog

RC Racer
    Saw this over in the Summit forum thought i'd share
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9008478
    Max Amp Batteries

RC Qualifier
    I had two sets of Max amp 6500mah 3S 100-150C batteries. (I think that was the C rating)
    I would say they they were good batteries, but nothing outstanding, and questionable whether they were worth the premium in price.
    Ran lots of lower cost batteries, mostly 5000mah 45-90C 3S and 2S that, for all intents and purposes, performed head to head with the max amps.

Max Amps claims to get more charge cycles out of their batteries, I never put enough charge cycles in any of my batteries to "wear them out", so I can't confirm whether or not the Max Amp's would have provided enough additional charge cycles to make them more cost competitive.
    hog
    Last edited by hog; 06-11-2014 at 08:37 PM.

RC Competitor
    im looking at buying two 3s 6500mah 70c constant 140c burst. Will I have any heat issues. I have a dual pickup rudder and a brass prop which I was told it is the same size as the stock prop. My old 3s lipos got so hot they melted the solder off the terminals. Would I be better of buying two 2s 6500mah 70c constant 140c burst.

RC Qualifier
    revkev91,
    Quickly read my post in this thread: http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...raxxas-Battery

You are probably familiar with most of the info, but it gives some good basic info on Lipo batts and C ratings

The 6500 70C batteries should be well suited to use in the Spartan if they are from a reputable manufacturer.

Without knowing the C rating of your previous batteries it is hard to say why they would have overheated, but the C rating may not have been adequate. If that were the case, they would have had too much internal resistance that would have caused them to overheat.

there are other factors like wire size, connector size and type, etc that can also factor in.

hog

RC poster
    on the charging issue, what I do is I have one charger that can run on my 12v car battery, just clamp on the charger under the hood, and i also have a power inverter that plugs into the cigarete lighter and it puts out just like the plug in at home does so i use any old charger, i do find my self charging both batteries at the same time, it cuts down on boredom between runs

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by christopher.franssen View Post
    on the charging issue, what I do is I have one charger that can run on my 12v car battery, just clamp on the charger under the hood, and i also have a power inverter that plugs into the cigarete lighter and it puts out just like the plug in at home does so i use any old charger, i do find my self charging both batteries at the same time, it cuts down on boredom between runs
    Thats what I do. When the truck is driving I use the ciggarette adaptor when the truck is stopped I just plug in both my chargers to the 2 batteries in the truck (its diesel ) and let the charging commence.