RC Racer

short flight time question...

this is with my yellow Alias...
    new gears, bearings, main shafts, even the screws were put in new when I built this. it is running first run stock Traxxas motors that are also brand new. no crashes of any kind.
    it fly's perfectly fine. great control, responsive and agile, very smooth and stable. the first three flights I did on this one went from just above 6 minutes to just below 7, which I expected they would be. tonight, I flew three batteries. it flew perfectly as before, but the LVC alarm is now going off at 3 minutes or less and I cant figure out why?
    what I know is that it isn't a battery issue. I took two of the batteries and recharged them, flew my red Alias and got 8:30 and 8:19. I know it isn't a transmitter issue because I use the same transmitter for both of the quads. when I checked one of the batteries after landing the yellow one, it read 4.04V indicating that the LVC went off before it should have? I didn't look at the mah used, sorry, wasn't thinking about that when I saw the voltage still so high after only 3 minutes of flight time. I flew both quads with the light bar on, so that cant be it either.

could the telemetry in the board itself maybe have developed an issue? I know that with it being painted, there is additional weight, but since it got over 6 minutes on the first three flights, I cant believe that suddenly, the extra weight from the paint is now a problem when it wasn't before?

I guess my next step is to fly it two more times, check voltage, and see how many mah's were used. if I find that voltage and mah's are substantially higher than I have seen in other flights... am I looking at a board gone bad?

thanks
    Think YELLOW Traxxas, please make a YELLOW Alias.

RC Enthusiast

My first thought was check voltage left after flight. But you have that covered. How's the batteries in your TX?
    Maybe try once the LVC goes off land, shut of your bird...but leave your tx on...give it a minute or so and turn it back on again and fly . If you get another 3 mins out of the same battery then I would say the LVC is to blame. If you start it up after say 2-3 mins and the LVC is still chirping might be something else.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskyDude View Post

My first thought was check voltage left after flight. But you have that covered. How's the batteries in your TX?
    Maybe try once the LVC goes off land, shut of your bird...but leave your tx on...give it a minute or so and turn it back on again and fly . If you get another 3 mins out of the same battery then I would say the LVC is to blame. If you start it up after say 2-3 mins and the LVC is still chirping might be something else.
    I forgot I had done that earlier... unplugged it a for a couple minutes then plugged it back in and got like 30 seconds before the alarm went off again. I just did two more flights tonight and got 5 minutes, with both batteries ending at 3.83/3.84, which is what I normally see voltage wise , so that is fine now. the Tx has new Duracell batteries in it, so that is covered too.
    since I use the one Tx for both quads, and the other is fine, it limits to to the quad itself.

thanks for the ideas... guess I need to go over it with a fine tooth comb and see if anything that stands out that I missed?

RC poster
    I experienced the same problem recently. I went through the same process you did, my last test convinced me it was the board that controls the LVC. I measured my batteries after my Alias quit and voltage would be 4.02 or there abouts, not 3.80 which would be normal. I then put that battery immediately in a different Alias and it flew another 3.5 minutes. I then measured the voltage and it was as expected, 3.80+/-. I took my old Alias apart and used everything possible for spare parts and moved on to a new Alias. I'm guessing you have the same problem, you have checked and verified that everything else is working fine. Good Luck

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by KDB350 View Post
    I experienced the same problem recently. I went through the same process you did, my last test convinced me it was the board that controls the LVC. I measured my batteries after my Alias quit and voltage would be 4.02 or there abouts, not 3.80 which would be normal. I then put that battery immediately in a different Alias and it flew another 3.5 minutes. I then measured the voltage and it was as expected, 3.80+/-. I took my old Alias apart and used everything possible for spare parts and moved on to a new Alias. I'm guessing you have the same problem, you have checked and verified that everything else is working fine. Good Luck
    with this being intermittent like it is, it would appear that it may be the board, I just don't know? everything else looks fine, it is all new parts, but even a 5 minute flight is a major drop from what it was. I will have to just monitor it for now... there aren't any boards listed on ebay right now, so there isn't much else I can do but wait.

RC Racer
    I went ahead and switched the boards from the red to the yellow Alias and vice versa. I will try it tonight to try and confirm or eliminate the board as a possibility.
    can someone check something for me with theirs? I was hovering it in the kitchen and watching the battery telemetry meter while I gave it a little throttle and let off and noticed the battery telemetry meter bars jumping up and down its meter reading, then when i land and let off the throttle it returned to full bars. I am sure this is normal, and it does this on both quads but honestly... until now, I never looked at it in flight and I just need to make sure that this normal?
    thanks!

RC poster
    Sorry, I'm away from home without an Alias, but please post your results from the board change. My bet is it fixes the problem. Again, Good Luck

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by spoonerrw View Post
    Can someone check something for me with theirs? I never looked at it in flight and I just need to make sure that this normal? thanks!
    Interesting I never looked at my Rx level either till now. I have check my Tx level almost ever flight...
    I just went out and tried... I turned it on and looked at the RX level and it just had the outline of the battery no bars hmmm checked voltage of Rx battery 3.91v Went back in and put a charged one in 4.18v checked the Rx v while flying, going from hover to full throttle. Rx battery level showed full bars. After supper I will fly till the levels drop and post some voltages.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by HuskyDude View Post
    Interesting I never looked at my Rx level either till now. I have check my Tx level almost ever flight...
    I just went out and tried... I turned it on and looked at the RX level and it just had the outline of the battery no bars hmmm checked voltage of Rx battery 3.91v Went back in and put a charged one in 4.18v checked the Rx v while flying, going from hover to full throttle. Rx battery level showed full bars. After supper I will fly till the levels drop and post some voltages.
    so, yours never changed in the number of bars that showed even when under a load? that is very interesting as well. I have two transmitters, so I checked them both, on both quads. I only tested this in easy mode because I was in the house in a confined space, but both transmitters on both quads in that mode showed the bars going up and down depending on how much load there was.
    a friend of mine tested his as well and had the same results I did in easy mode, but, when he tried the test in exp1 and 2 modes, he also saw no bars? both of mine when I power them up in exp2 mode, show full bars on the telemetry meter. I honestly do not know what to make of any of this? I have the boards swapped out now, and going out here in a few to test the yellow Alias with the red Alias Board which had 8+ minute flight time, then I will test the red Alias with the board from the yellow one and see if it has the 3-minute flight times.

ok, on the yellow Alias with the red Alias board... 8:52 on the first flight, and 8:38 on the second. going out with the red Alias with the board from the yellow one as soon as the second battery is charged.
    Last edited by spoonerrw; 06-10-2014 at 12:10 AM.

RC Racer
    the red Alias with the board from the yellow one came in at 6:22 and 6:04. I have no clue where the 3 minute and less flight times came from yesterday, or what caused them? they were lower then the two flights with the yellow one, but 6 minutes is perfectly fine with me. it still indicates there is an issue, but not like yesterday. I wish I could understand what happened and why? I guess all I can do is keep an eye on it and just fly, but at least I can rule out weight from the paint and am safe in knowing that my yellow Alias can continue to terrorize the skies

RC Racer
    what ever went wrong with the battery telemetry, it was definitely in the board. I got the new board, put it in, and flight times are back to normal at about 7-9 minutes in hard flight. the old board will do 6 minutes on a hit and miss basis, but mostly, they are between 3-4 minutes. very strange thing to have happen, but my red Alias is now fixed .