RC Enthusiast

New Summit vxl and some moddings

Hi there,
    I have this RC car ... my first car since 100 years :-) I decidet to get not a big - heavy car so I've got a 1:16 summit. I was surprized about the power of that brushless system. I use 2s-lipo 2200mah and 3s-lipo 1800mah. After 2 weeks my driveshaft ... not new here :-/ .... was broken. I drive with rear 2wd a while.
    I put a cooler on top of the motor and I removed the top from the control unit so there's a better cooling possible. Also I put a fan on the top of the opend controler / heatsink /capacitor

Now I have order a lot of tuning stuff for my summit:
    Steel Drive Shaft - you must open the diff !!! to install this
    Billet Machined Piggyback Shock Set silver
    red Alloy rockers front - rear
    Billet Machine Stage 1 Conversion Set for 1/16 Traxxas E-Revo & Summit
    Alloy completed tie rods from GM
    Alloy steering assembly in red
    ----------------------------
    It sounds crazy but I want to have the most "moving parts" in metal and it's my first rc car
    I can test my cooling option if all parts arrived and the truck rolling fine again with one 3s-lipo

I have a test offroad track where I can make good drive tests here:
    http://www.rcs-offroad.de/modx/
    It's a nice drift track with tons of fun

I will make pictures from the truck for shure and write a review how it races over the track with the new shocks
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 05-15-2011 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Language

RC Champion
    1-You dont need piggybacks, just get GTRs if u want a good, tuneable aftermarket shock.
    2- Why did u remove the heatsink placed there by Traxxas from the speed control?
    Everything overpowered...

RC Enthusiast
    I removed not the heatsink, only the blue top case so I can put a fan on the heatsink / capacitor.
    today I filled the integy piggyback shocks with some medium shock oil. We will see if they are better that the stock ones.

RC Enthusiast
    Is it possible to get a closed diff in front and rear? The diff's are open on top so there can be dirt inside ....

RC Competitor
    The integy piggybacks are terrible shocks, I dont like being the "bad news" guy, but I know from my experience with 2 sets. If you want the piggybacks to retain any oil at all there is only one way. After several different attempts to stop the leaking I finally found a solution. Here is what I did, you need to use parts from your stock shocks.
    Install the blue bladder from the caps of your stock shocks and place them in the piggyback tops, simply remove the black O ring from the integy shocks and replace. This effectively disables the piggyback effect, but also removes two leak points. Remove the lower caps and rods/pistons, replace the integy rods/pistons with your stock Traxxas ones. When you install the lower cap check to make sure ALL the rubber O rings are in all the shocks, I was missing three total from my two sets.. When you reinstall the lower retainer caps put a small dab of REMOVABLE locktite on the treads. The lower caps back out over time and will strip the threads making them useless. Now that you have Traxxas internals, all the lower o rings and the bladder they will work great.
    Dirt wont make its way into the diff, the Chassis is the the seal point, if you want you could place a bit of vaseline or sealant, but its not required.
    Have fun with that truck!!!
    Last edited by RemEd8or; 04-30-2011 at 06:01 PM. Reason: grammer!!!
    MERV-drag racer, MERV-bashing truck. VXLSummit

RC Champion
    My Integy Piggybacks work fine, but they arent on a minin summit.

RC Enthusiast
    Aha, ok I will take a look of the shocks if they leak, the piggyback are a little softer as the stock. I use medium oil and the red progressive spring .... I have to wait of more parts now to finish the truck and male a first testdrive. I opend front and rear diff to install the steel drive shafts, no problem so. Also I order the frot and rear bulkhead in aluminium ... this summit will be more and more expensive :-/ but I'm shure drives and looks fine.
    The stock summit drives great without mods, but the motor controler will be hot on 3s-lipo and some plastic parts can break cause the heavy acceleration.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 05-15-2011 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Language

RC Enthusiast
    Ok, what a hard work to finish this all .... here are some pics. I only made a testdrive in my living room yet :-)
    All working nice but I use the org. Traxxas spring for the piggy shocks, they are stiffer.

Last edited by chrizz; 05-06-2011 at 05:10 AM.

RC Racer
    In a place where I am planning my next RC aquisition...
    Dang my friend....That is some serious...BLING! :O

What CVDs did you use?
    President - North East Ohio Chapter 'RC Anonymous'

RC Qualifier
    Dude I have to say that looks pretty darn sick! BUT, will crimple like a piece of paper when you hit a tree, wall or crub at 30-40mph. At least the A-arms will from what ive seen.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    how is the servo doing with all the added weight?

RC Enthusiast
    thanx guys, the servo has no problem, the steering is working easy. The truck has a little more weight.
    the cvd are the steel drive shafts.
    http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...=Product-Feeds
    Today I made a first test. the truck rolls now better when I don't accelerate. Driving turn's seems better now cause the weight of the truck and it's a little lower than stock.
    the cooler works fine, no heat problem now but I will test on hot sunny weather more.
    I've some small and hard - drift wheels - that's fun too on a flat floor.

before driving

after the drive today

drift wheels ... haha

Ok, I'm crazy ... more aluminium parts build on the truck:

I changed the 50Z main gearwheel to a 53Z steel one. And I repaired the back diff. gear :-/

Hardcoretest on the offroad track following. first I make some testdrives if all working
    Yesterday I was on the old airfield .... wide place. fullspeed test was successfully with 3slipo. I don't need more speed, approx 60 km/h is more than enough but the torque is awsome .... so much power.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 05-18-2011 at 09:42 AM. Reason: merge

RC Champion
    That thing is going to rust like crazy. Looks nice now tho!

RC Competitor
    aluminum does not rust....... what ya thinkin lol
    Quote Originally Posted by QYKSLVR View Post
    That thing is going to rust like crazy. Looks nice now tho!

RC Champion
    Corrode, whatever. I jus think it would have been cheaper/smarter to go with upgraded plastic not the aluminum which is going to bend and get weak.

RC Enthusiast
    yes you're right but ... my first car since years and I want to mod it a little :-) looks nice and drives fine too !!
    I think on a fast crash I got problems with the aluminium stuff .....
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 05-15-2011 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Language

RC Competitor
    nice build!!

RC Enthusiast
    thanx,

today I drove some Akkus lipo 3s ... drive shafts are wonderful, the piggyback shock looses oil today. The seal is broken. I noticed that after few rounds on the race offroad track, the truck was more and more jumping on the back while loosing the oil :-/
    I have to repair the front diff also ... there's a small washer that exact fit to the diff case, so the gear wheels fit perfekt.
    It's a lot of power to the drive with the 3s-lipo but fun and you must build the truck accurate so all is working fine.

here is the very nice track I drive:

http://www.rcs-offroad.de/modx/index.php?id=1
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 05-16-2011 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Language, again.

RC Racer
    that's a sick track. I wish I could afford doing all those mods to my truck
    1/16 Slash, 1/16 Summit, T-Maxx .15, E-Maxx 3908

RC Enthusiast
    I orderd a center diff for my summit, I will try 50k oil. Now there's to much power on the rear wheels. Perhaps I will be faster on this track with a center diff. And a good working shock, must repair one of the piggy's.
    My center gear is 16Z on the Motor and a steel 53Z

the piggyback shocks are nice, working good but there's a leak to fix. the shock is loosing oil.

I did the first testdrive in a park, offroad track with the center dif build in. that is VERY better handling and driving ! best add-on for the summit with 3s-lipo using. The acceleration is fast and forwards ! without wheelys and drifting off the road.

Edited for bypassing the language filter.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 05-18-2011 at 09:44 AM. Reason: merge

RC Enthusiast
    Today I drived on the offroad dirt track three 3S-LiPo's and the center diff works very fine, no wheelies and good traction. I have 2 piggy's in front and the stock shocks rear. I loose oil on the rear stock shocks .... and a little on the front piggys. No big jumps, only some short flat jumps but speed on the track whitch is rough and bumpy.
    perhaps tomorrow the gpm aluminium shocks arrive ....

The shocks arrived today ... very fast shipping :-) They where filled with oil .... very nice. I changes the silver springs to the golden ones for the offroad hardcore test. The golden springs are the stiffest but the Truck don't "jumps", the shocks feels good for now. They fit perfectly on the summit.

Last edited by cooleocool; 05-21-2011 at 12:17 PM. Reason: merge
    1/16 Summit VXL

RC Enthusiast
    Soooo, today I was on the race track abow post #18. I drove four 3s-lipo and two 2s-lipo empty :-) that was my new record about 2H driving.
    The GPM aluminium shocks with the golden springs are awsome !! fantastic driving and no problems with some jumps on the track. No fall over on curves cause the weight of the summit is a little more than stock with the aluminium stuff.
    for me the summit is now perfect for this race truck with the golden strong spring. No oil on the shocks to see after 2 hours driving :-) that's fun. The center diff. works fine too, it helps to handle the truck better with the 3s-lipo.
    I drive with 16Z and 53Z steel gear. There's big acceleration but the max speed is perhaps 50 - 60 km/h with 3s-lipo, enough. The VXL-3m speed control with the cooler on it is not shutting down and overheat. The motoris hot, shure but I don't know the temperature. The motor cooler is not the best in my mind.
    Last edited by chrizz; 05-21-2011 at 02:17 PM.
    1/16 Summit VXL

RC Racer
    sweet truck... Man I so wanted to go all aluminum on mine. but I run around stuff that If I hit it, it would bend and not bounce back.. keep track of your bolts every time you run it to make sure they arn't backing out and are staying tight.. glad your enjoying it.. that is what it's all about

RC Enthusiast
    So, after some test drives the truck drives very fine. I changed some parts again .... at the same time the original battery cover breaks :-( I think this aluminium one is better.

1/16 Summit VXL

RC Enthusiast
    Very cool build