RC poster

Buying a summit VXL what to get with it ? PLEASE HELP

Hey guys need some help. I am buying a mini summit vxl wich is arround $350 and im looking to spend up to $200 on upgrades. Any recommendations?
    Should i get new tires? If so which ones. Aluminum push rods? Heat sink for motor ? I will not be racing it and just want good looks and durability for bashing. Keep in mimd my main places for running the truck will be dessets , beaches, rocky areas, roads and grassy areas :-)

Thank you for your time would VERY much apreciate ur comments

Since this is my first hobby grade rc monstertruck. I need to know what battery packs to get with and somthing that would speed up the charge. thank u
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-03-2014 at 08:31 AM. Reason: merge

RC Racer
    You'll want to get a better charger for sure, if your just gonna run NIMH batteries a Ez-Peak 2 amp or 4 amp will work fine. You'll want to get some more batteries aswell, as you can run 2 in the truck for longer run times or for more speed. (Depends what connector you get) you'll want to get the metal drive shafts aswell I break them all the time. Other than that there's not much more to get unless you want different tires, but the stock ones are fine. You should also get a spare servo as the mini ones strip out a lot (literally melted one in my mini slash yesterday, smoke was coming out of the hole that melted.)

RC Qualifier
    first thing I would buy is two or so 2s lipos (i prefer traxxas and venoms). That will keep you going, and wont be as harsh since this is your first. Batteries are usually 20-30, and will require a lipo charger.

Next will be heatsinks or heatsinks and fans. Dust and heat will kill electronics, so keep them cool and clean.

it's always good to have spare parts; spur and pinion gears, diff, shims for diff etc.

What ever is left, proline 2.2 tires. Some will increase ride heights, all will give great traction.
    Last edited by Chubaka; 06-02-2014 at 08:07 PM.
    People Eating Tasty Animals

RC poster
    Thank u guys ive decided to go with the 2 lipo 2s batterys and the heatsink all from traxxas and proline 2.2 big Joes with a clear apocalypse body shell
    What charger should i get and other than that where can i find a metal diff and are metal toe links and push rods necessary?
    Thank u :-) some.pics would be nice :-D
    Last edited by Traxxason; 06-03-2014 at 01:52 AM.

If you want the best 2S batteries for the 1/16 scale Traxxas cars, I would get SPC 2500mAh 2S ones.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Champion
    Go with the SPC batteries they are the best!!!!
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

RC poster
    Ok guys which charger would be the best for these batteries. I'm looking for a fast charge :-)

The "best" is out of the price limitations you have given...

The EZPeak+ is a great starter charger... simple to use and awesome customer support.
    $120 according to buy.traxxas

The next step up in my opinion would be a Hyperion 0730i with a paraboard and power supply. This setup is extremely capable and will last throughout your RC hobby as you upgrade to bigger and more powerful packs and bigger RC's.
    Roughly $150-170; $100ish for the charger, $30ish for the power supply, $20ish for the paraboard.

EZpeak+ is more than enough for a 16th... but you will start to see the need for more power once you get into 10th scale or larger RC's... especially if you go into Traxxas large 10th scale's that take dual packs. That is when the 30 amps of the 0730i will shine.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC poster
    Thanx guys really appreciate it :-)

RC Competitor
    I've heard good things about the stock tires, you can definitely keep those to bash with. If you have not received the truck yet, I would definitely recommend saving your mod moola and just drive it close to stock for a couple days, seeing what breaks with your driving style and figure out what needs improvement. Unless of course you're like me and can't wait to spend on the mods right away!
    Start with a stick pack and work your way up, kid

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Traxxason View Post
    Thank u guys ive decided to go with the 2 lipo 2s batterys and the heatsink all from traxxas and proline 2.2 big Joes with a clear apocalypse body shell
    What charger should i get and other than that where can i find a metal diff and are metal toe links and push rods necessary?
    Thank u :-) some.pics would be nice :-D
    Good choice! I got the same ones about a month ago. They are noticeabley bigger than the stock tires and handle very well. I also bought the SPC lipo 2s for it. SPC is great. They process your order and ship it out very quickly and you get a decal and pen with every order

RC Competitor
    I would go with the dual steering servo setup. It makes all the difference in the world. Also i would get piggyback shocks of ebay. Those are two things i really want.

RC Qualifier
    You really don't need much in the way of accessories for this thing if you aren't smacking it into trees. I honestly can't see spending 300 for a truck and 200 for accessories. Why would you get new tires? The stock ones work fine. A charger definitely, Icharger is best and reasonably cheap. Lipos too. And if you really want to upgrade, then steel balls for the links and aluminum knuckles or the screw in ball adjusters are the main must haves.

RC Qualifier
    Get some steel drive shafts and some steel axles for sure.

RC Qualifier
    I would recomend ball bearings in the steering, and rockers. A set of merv driveshafts, replace with those, as the summit ones break. A spare servo, the stock one does not last very long. A spare set of front and rear a-arms, or rpm ones, and again, replace as they break. I would just say drive it out of the box, upgrade what breaks, or make changes, as your skill increases, and you become used to the car. Most of all enjoy it.
    T-maxx 3.3
    Rusty 2.5r
    Summit VXL
    Nitro 4-tec

RC Racer
    NM. Found my answer.
    Last edited by Dawgg60; 09-23-2014 at 04:55 PM.
    Play Hard, Have fun!

RC Racer
    Are the merv rear arms mandatory to run stock merv driveshafts?

No, they are not.

RC Racer
    Ah, I got stock merv arms for 5.99 off Dollarhobbyz.com cause I thought I'd need them. Wasn't sure if the 10mm swept back ones cause issues with them

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    If you don't mind the small change in wheelbase, they can still only help. They put the shafts at a better angle.

I'm dying to know more about the big Joe II's! I have a thread seeking more info .
    Last edited by mwe-maxxowner; 09-24-2014 at 08:58 PM.
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

RC Racer
    Does it pay to get steel stubs with the merv shafts?
    Play Hard, Have fun!

The shafts should come with steel stubs... the stubs are steel stock.

RC Racer
    okiedokie, thanx
    Play Hard, Have fun!

RC Racer
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Racing-S...item1e922e7acd

anyone used these? theyre slightly more than the TRX brand but you dont have to remove the diffs and all that fun stuff.

REQUIREMENTS:
    Disassemble the differential.

RC Racer
    wait a tick....i couldve swore I had the link to some that were by hot racing but the drive cups werent like that they simply had the grub screw to the existing output

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    I have never seen any. If you had merv tires, I'd say you could probably get by with merv axles long enough that it could make sense just to keep them on there. My merv on 3s used stock axles for a long time.

With a summit I'm not so sure, but maybe just wait and see if you don't wanna open up the diff. Of course it also depends on your driving style and terrain and stuff.
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D